February 2019 Moms
Options

Ask a Stm week of July 16

2»

Re: Ask a Stm week of July 16

• Options
    @megpants209 I had a natural/unmedicated birth by choice with DD, however i had complications(retained placenta and hemorrhaged) so they knocked me out with stadol. Between the meds and large volume of blood lost, the first 24 hours after birth were miserable. I plan to ask my OB about the likelihood of having the same complication again before I decide on having an epidural next time. I'd be fine with natural birth again if I knew there wouldnt be complications. 
    @lzzfrancisco the same happened to me with DS.  I was induced and had an epidural...I asked my OB about this happening again and she advised that there really isn’t any way to tell.  I have a new OB though and she said she would intervene sooner and knowing that it happened last time she will keep a closer eye on it. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @danixbanani24 thanks for sharing. Sounds like if they need to intervene sooner, than being numb down there would be best!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lzzfrancisco. Did your doc try to manually remove the placenta? Bc yeah I don’t think the epidural helped at all when my doc when shoulder deep into me.....
  • Options
    This insurance discussion has taught me two things:
    1. I love being Canadian. 
    2. You are all frickin' badasses for dealing with all that! I can't imagine having all that to stress about on top of pregnancy, childbirth, etc. I feel the same way about the maternity leave discussion.
  • Options
    @danixbanani24 she did, there was two or three people pushing externally, something going on inside. I know it was a problem that i kept trying to climb up the table because of the pain. When I started bleeding, they had to knock me out, so I dont remember anything else. 
  • Options
    Oh, as far as epidurals I am going to hold out as long as possible but will likely get one again. Hopefully I won’t have to be induced this time. 12 hours of pitocin back labor and I was just too tired. Epidural at 7am, slept until noon. Didn’t work all the way, still had a lot of use of my legs but was enough to let me rest. Definitely knew I was in transition when I was. Basically it was just the right amount of relief to be present in the situation. I was not only in my pain and not so numb that I felt disconnected from my birth. 
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11I had a doula and it was definitely worth every penny. My DH was on the fence and I put my foot down about it. This time around, even with a price increase, he definitely wanted me to hire her. In fact, we’ve already booked her. I used an OB last time and there really weren’t nurses or doctors around to help us. We were basically alone. I mean the nurses came in to check on us but they weren’t applying pressure for hours like my doula was. Having someone there who knew birth and was able to give instructions and offer assistance was invaluable. Also, when I decided I wanted an epidural she knew who to ask for so I had the best nurse that was on duty. That alone was worth a lot to me. I interviewed probably 6 different ladies. Interviewing is free so I would encourage you to reach out and talk to them. If it’s a good fit, you’ll know! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone! @Omie_Wise, when did you start interviewing doulas? Do you think it's too early if I start interviewing them now?
  • Options
    @megpants209 I have 3 babies without an epidural and was on pitocin for two of them. I have unusual reactions to medications, so I was more afraid of the epidural that I was of going without. If you want to go unmedicated, my best advice is to take a class or two. Also, tell the hospital that you plan to skip the epidural and request a nurse that has more experience with natural births. And always know that if you change your mind, there is no shame in getting an epidural. You are a rock star no matter how that baby comes out of you.

@hannahbananas11 I have always had awesome nurses that were great at coaching me through labor. I would find a doula unnecessary unless you wanted to try a specific technique like hypnobirthing, then a doula might be especially helpful.
  • Options
    I hope this is OK to ask and not too personal. 

For those who had a tear with their first delivery, did you tear again with your second? If so, was it as bad as your first?

I ask because I had a partial 4th degree with my first. My doctor said there’s only a 3% chance of have that severe of a tear again, but I find comfort in hearing from other moms, too. 

I 100% will continue talking with my doctor, but figured hearing other experiences may put my mind to ease. 
    I tore badly with my first and not at all with my second!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Options
    Who has gone without an epidural and is that your plan this time? Why/why not? 
    I had an epidural for my first and a failed one for my second. If anything it reassured me that I am capable of enduring the pain. I had no faith in myself for my first, but had no choice other than to breathe through it the second time. Lol I'll try for unmedicated this time, but have no problem asking for an epidural if I need it. 

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Options
    First time mom here, just a question about symptoms. I'm 8w2d today and other than some light dry heaving and very slight breast sensitivity, I have no symptoms. I felt horrible the last 2 weeks, vomiting, sore breasts, nausea all day. I've also been taking an hcg test strip once a week *just to make sure* and the past 2 days, there's definitely a line, but not blaring like it was previously. Hormones too high? I'm going to stop testing, but my 1st appointment isn't until 7/24. Am I going crazy?! 
    Hook syndrome. don't test because it will not be accurate. Call your doctor if you're concerned.

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Options
    @okayestmom12 - we’re testing the bunk bed out on vacation in September. If it goes well it’s likely what we are doing for a few years. IDGAF what people thing about opposite sex sharing a room when they are so young. Your mom can mind her own beeswax. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    @hannahbananas11 I was a lot further along last time but I would start now! You’ll have more choices because there won’t be as many who are already booked. Plus, my doula allows for unlimited text questions, which I appreciate, so I’m getting more bang for my buck by having access to the service now. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lzzfrancisco it was worse than childbirth no? God I still am scarred by that!  Glad to talk to someone that went through it too.  

@becks_726. Yeah and here I am jealous of all that other countries get.  Love my country but we are horribly behind in health insurance and maternity leave.  My husband doesn’t even get any leave at his new company.  Such a joke..
  • Options
    @danixbanani24 I mean transitioning from 8-10 cm took me almost an hour, and that was really really painful. But I'm not scared about that happening again. I'm terrified about the retained placenta happening again, it doesn't help that when my mom or DH (both were present) talk about it, they were clearly traumatized and I think even scared that they might lose me because of the hemorrhage. I don't want to put them through that again!
  • Options
    @lzzfrancisco - I had RPOC (retained products of conception) after my MMC 3 years ago and hemorrhaged. I gave birth to DS a year later and they were worried about it happening with my placenta, but I had no issues. I did have to have IV iron infusions before birth because my iron stores were so incredibly low and if I had hemorrhaged, I wouldn't have survived without the extra iron. I would be super honest with your provider and see what they can do leading up to the birth to make it as easy and least anxiety-provoking for you as possible.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    It’s amazing the things you forget or choose to forget from childbirth. I also had retained placenta... but completely forgot until reading this thread. 

I had an ultrasound done 6 weeks PP to confirm and they immediately scheduled me for a D&C. I wonder if there’s anyway to confirm this prior to leaving the hospital this time around. 
  • Options
    @kayjay44
    That is so weird, I totally forgot I had to take medication after my second miscarriage because I continued bleeding for too long. Probably worth mentioning to my OB. 
    @bananster1 they considered mine a retained placenta while I was still in L&D, and they cut it out before even going to the maternity/recovery.
  • Options
    @lzzfrancisco YES this exactly.  I’m nervous about it happening again too.  My mother is also traumatized from it...she had to hold me down :(. God it was not a pleasant experience at all but I’m hopeful this new doc will do all she can to prevent it from being traumatizing again
  • Options
    *shudder* Man, I’m glad I had such an uneventful birth. 
  • Options
    Me too, @madreofdragons - other than DD being born sunny side up, mine have been pretty uneventful.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @danixbanani24 I just flip the seat in the back up and DS stands on the little shelf thing that's there. Sometimes he likes to ride backwards in the seat by sitting on his knees and facing forward; 3-year-olds are so busy!

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    cas060cas060 member
    I think ive just been traumatized reading through this thread.. ftm over here. Lol!! :s