September 2018 Moms
Options

Unmedicated/Low Intervention Births

124»

Re: Unmedicated/Low Intervention Births

• Options
    @adirat They finished off my bag after I had DS via induction and I felt nothing. It goes in very fast (much faster than the titratable drip they use for induction), so you are disconnected from it pretty quickly. Honestly, bf’ing will be the pain-causer with afterbirth cramps, as well as routine uterine massage if your hospital does that. 

TW-after-birth complications mentioned ahead (don’t know how to do spoiler)

DH’s coworker had uncontrolled bleeding after her daughter was delivered and ended up needing an emergency D&C and blood transfusion. She got separated from her baby for a good 2-3 hours, most of which was during the “golden hour.” I will gladly take the pitocin and uterine massage for this reason, because they can do all this while you have baby in your arms or feeding. 

End TW
  • Options
    @adirat If you're not bleeding excessively afterwards (and you'll know if you are-it'll get hectic in there) it's not something you truly need. I don't believe it does any harm, but I personally don't go for routine drugs just cuz. It's up to you. I felt the contractions from mine, but I needed to be on it for a few hours-c section with extra blood loss. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    dexniedexnie member
    @pourmeamocktail a big issue, though, is sometimes by the time you are hemorrhaging you’re already in an emergent situation and the window of opportunity has passed for less insasive treatments. Pitocin definitely isn't for everyone, but it’s not used “just cuz” either—it’s meant to prevent the worldwide leading cause of maternal mortality. 
  • Options
    @dexnie I hear you, and I'm not going to argue that it can save lives. But the 100% administration of the drugs (a lot of hospitals have this blanket policy for everyone) and the 5% (ish, there's not a clear statistic) that hemorrhage doesn't sit well with me personally. I'm not saying all women should decline it. I'm just stating that for me, getting the pitocin just in case, isn't for me. Personal choice. I'm glad my midwife keeps it in her emergency bag, and for anyone who has previously had a bleed she administers it preventatively. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker