September 2018 Moms

Working Mamas - July

I know we had a working mom thread a while back but I couldn’t find it to revive it. Now that we are all inching closer to the end (thank goodness!) I am sure some plans have changed. 

I’m being really selfish in starting this thread because I want to know how long you plan to stay at work before your EDD? 

My parental leave allows me to 2 weeks prior to my EDD but honestly, I’m not sure I can last another 8 weeks. I work retail (management) and the demands of being on my feet all day, not being able to take as many breaks due to low staffing and the stress of having peers who frankly suck at their jobs is becoming too much for me. I was off work today and spent the whole day worrying about and thinking about the store. That’s not OK with me. Is it possible for my doctor to recommend an amended schedule or anything like that through the next 8 weeks to keep me sane? 

What’s going on for you at work? Share your Struggles & successes :) 

Re: Working Mamas - July

• Loading the player...
  • MandyMost said:
    I’ve been shutting emails off my phone on weekends, and trying not to check it in the evenings. I think I really need to be doing yoga, but I’m not :-( I think it would help my mental state enormously. i know I need to be doing more about the stress, but I don’t know what! 
    The phone thing is huge. I have a work phone too and people are very aware that I am not checking it at night and on weekends. My boss has my personal cell number so if something THAT urgent came up he could get a hold of me, but as an accountant that really should not happen. I find it helps a lot to completely disconnect from work when I'm not working.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • samd6samd6 member
    @EErin86 unfortunately it’s not me that’s struggling, I am able to get my work done but am having to pick up the slack for my peers. The main issue I am having is that my one peer manager is terrible, like a terrible person and hard to work with. He’s very stuck in his ways and the team keeps complaining about him. Gah. I need to disconnect badly. 

I am talking to my manager today do hoping hoping that goes well. 
  • Hi, I'm doing work for 2 people at an office job because my colleague cannot be bothered to abandon Facebook or any other site to work...I feel big and clumsy and tired but I'm still the one running around with papers, he has no undestanding that I'm struggling, he sees me everyday being sick, also fainted at work, no remorce at all. May God give him some common sense or at least some brain! I cannot wait to be at home, I'm entitled to 126 days off work before or after delivery, as I please. He will be off too during that time, getting married and going in their honeymoon. I pity the person who will take on that office, I'll do my best to leave everything in order, sure the other one hasn't even thought about the mess he 's leaving behind. 
    I cannot wait to meet my baby...forget about work for 4 months and not give a monkey...Health to all of you and your families, let's not talk about work anymore...I'm getting annoyed in here!!!!Ta-da!
  • @MandyMost wow that is an awesome maternity policy! Enjoy the time off  :)
  • I get zero paid time off. It's really bumming me out. The state of California actually has decent maternity pay, but I don't qualify for any of it because my (very large) employer opts out. They don't do anything to make up for it either. So, I have 6 weeks of disability (that I pay into each month). But, there is a mandatory 2 week waiting period. So, I have to take off 2 weeks early (and not go into early labor) otherwise I will lose some of that 6 weeks. I then have about 5 weeks of sick time saved that I will use. I would like to be out August 31 - January 2. That's 17 weeks. I would get some pay or full pay for 11 of the weeks. 6 would be unpaid. 1 of those weeks is a paid week off - so maybe I would go back to work the second to last week in December and then work 1 week and have another week off...Also, as I've complained about here many times, my whole HR department quit. So this plan is entirely in my head and not worked out officially or approved. 
  • @EErin86 I find people asking that question over and over to be annoying. My boss asked me, to which I told her of course I’ll be back. Mentally thinking who on earth can afford to live on one salary in our area?? But then, she went behind my back and asked my coworker if I was coming back. Like seriously?! 
    And like you said, no one ever asks the guy if they’re coming back. Or at least I’ve never heard it..... hmmmm... part of me thinks the reactions to that question would make a good study/video. 
  • Only 1 person asked if I was coming back last time. I had planned to return in December but pushed it back to January and a coworker/friend texted me to make sure I was actually coming back. I didn't mind though because we are friends in addition to being coworkers.

No one else even came close to asking.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • lisac113lisac113 member
    edited July 2018
    @samd6 I am glad your conversation went well. 
    @magnolia209 your plan sounds incredibly confusing, I am sorry you have to deal with trying to figure it out and yet not officially having it approved. 

I am a teacher so at the moment I am "off" but will work for about a month, pending whenever the baby comes.  I am currently trying to get motivated to get my lesson plans going for leave.  My district allows me to use sick time for 6 weeks (or 8 weeks if c-section).  After that, I can use 5 family days that I have banked and 5 personal days I have banked.  They will not allow us to use any other sick time we have accrued in excess of the initial 6 weeks. I am taking 10 weeks and will not get paid for 2 of the weeks.  My district does not believe in allowing for paid "bonding time" with child.  Shaking my head....

edited to tag the right person. :wink:

• I'm not taking any time off. For some unknown reason, I'm an hourly employee and the parent company currently only has a (very awesome) plan for salaried employees. Hourly employee maternity benefits to come in 2019, not soon enough for me unfortunately! On the flip side, the subsidiary I work for has strong family values and they've agreed to let me work from home for however long I need, at whatever hours I'm comfortable with. I'm okay with this, since I was really uncomfortable handing off my responsibilities to anyone else. I know I'm taking a full 8 weeks out of the office, and after that I'll slowly transition back into the office during our off-season. I don't expect to be back working full time away from home until Feb-March. I'm planning to move my office home the first week of September (around 38 weeks). I delivered at 37 weeks with my first born and had been dilated since about 32 weeks, so we'll see what happens this time around! 
  • I plan to work up until I go in to labor. If I took time off before, it would have to use PTO and then I could not take as much time off after the baby comes. My company does not have any maternity leave benefits other than the short term disability, so I will take the 4 weeks STD, 2 weeks PTO and then take another 4 weeks unpaid under FMLA. 
  • Ugh. I had intended to work up until my due date. I have a desk job, my office is 6 minutes from home and 10 from the hospital. My boss decided RIGHT NOW is the perfect time for us to make a huge change and switch offices. It’s not a huge commute, around a half hour. But I’m less comfortable having to drove home a half hour (more at rush hour) if I’ve started feeling contractions. I may need to work from home as it gets closer, which is a nightmare bc I have to train my replacement. My boss left everything for the last minute just in case I needed more stress. The good thing is my new office is 2 miles from DH’s office so he could just come get me. 

I am planning to pack my hospital bag this weekend - is it crazy to have it with me at work? I assume if I start feeling contractions I’ll just go home until it’s time to go to the hospital. Is there any reason that I’d need to go to the hospital immediately? 
  • I'm having the hardest time at work. I just can't seem to find someone to replace me and my hip pain is only getting worse! The maternity belt I got a couple of weeks back is really helping, but ultimately I just need to not be on my feet for 12 hrs a day.. I feel so over running our own business and some days just want to give up! I don't want to overdue it and force this baby out sooner than he's ready for.. 
  • I’m working through the entire time (hopefully.)  I will try to lighten up my schedule about a week before delivery. Maybe two because DS was born at 38 weeks.  So that means jamming everything in ahead of time but what can you do? 
  • I worked up until the day I had ds, I worked from home the last week since I was past my due date. This time I plan on taking a week off prior to my due date and using vacation time.

I wi then take 12 weeks off.  It 6 weeks will be paid, but I made the decision early on that is what I wanted t do so I have been saving $$$ to supplement the bills while I will be off.
  • I’m hoping to work right up until this time but last time was pulled out at 36 weeks. I have a job that requires me to drive quite a bit, two hours one way for a half hour meeting and then back to hours isn’t out of the norm. So around 34 weeks I’ll get a note restricting my travel to near the office and mainly desk work. 
  • Hi all!
    31 weeks FTM and I'm a teacher on summer vacation. I was actually attacked by a student the day before we let out for spring break so I have not been back to school since spring break. My doctor  signed paperwork for me  to stay home on short term disability leave  due to unsafe work environment  because of my class. I went to the ER twice while pregnant because of that class and had multiple threats on my baby. I am getting nervous because school starts August 9th and I do have to go back until delivery. The EDD is September 17th so I am not looking forward to establishing procedures and setting up a whole new class right before my baby comes. I also have terrible carpal tunnel syndrome and edema. I know pregnant women are supposed to be super strong and put up with whatever comes their way but I am super exhausted all the time and have no idea what to expect when school starts. I really wish there was a way for working moms to have adequate time to rest while pregnant and after the baby comes to bond for a good amount of time before returning to work without going completely broke.
    Good luck to everyone!
  • Knottie sorry you are having the anxiety leading up to going back to school. I hope you are able to find some peace and a way to feel more safe at work. If you can change your screen name we would love to interact with you more and then we can tag you in our responses.