November 2018 Moms

Birth Control After Baby

has anyone started to think about this yet? originally i wanted to start a thread about permanent birth control, but i think opening it up to all other forms (iuds, nfp, etc.) too would be interesting.

Re: Birth Control After Baby

• @highsteaks I just had the same conversation with my ob and got the same info, tubal can be done same time if I have a c-section or 6 weeks after vaginal birth. I’ve been trying to convince hubs to get snipped but he won’t budge. Either way I’ll have it done, this is baby number 4 I’m 31 and I’m done being pregnant after this guy is born. 
  • Loading the player...
  • serabjornserabjorn member
    edited July 2018
    Great topic, @highsteaks.  Hubby and I are undecided if we are done having children after this little one (this will be our first child).  Hubby has actually (jokingly, or perhaps not so jokingly) suggested on many occasions to try again right away.  Being my first time going through this process, I think that I am going to wait until he is born and reassess everything.

With that said, before trying for this little one I took oral contraceptives for 10 years straight, then was on the Mirena IUD for a little under 5 years, then went back to oral contraceptives for 2 years.  I know you are looking into more permanent solutions, @highsteaks, but if you or others consider temporary at all, I do really prefer the IUD over having to remember to take a pill everyday.  What gets tricky is seeing what insurance will cover. 

Also, I have a general question: Does temporary birth control interfere at all with breastfeeding?

Thank you in advance! :)
          Nov. '18 September Siggy Challenge: Falling into Fall

• Before this pregnancy, I was totally on board with having 3 or 4. However, I'm not sure if I want to be pregnant again. I'm considering going without birth control for the first 6 months to a year, and if I get pregnant then it was meant to be (I have PCOS and it has always taken a long time to get pregnant). DH is back and forth on getting snipped, but he is 6 years older than I am and approaching 40, which he said is his "cut off date". I think I might look into getting an IUD again. I had one when we were first married and going to college. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • highsteakshighsteaks member
    edited July 2018
    @jessielynn1  i was kinda bummed to find out that they couldn’t do the procedure laparoscopicly right after vaginal birth while i was still numbed by the epidural. i read online that some obs can do that, and was hoping to avoid the extra hospital admission/general anesthesia bills.

@serabjorn that can be so tough to not be on the same page with your SO regarding future family planning. frankly, i am surprised dh came around at all to trying for a second kid; he was so firmly one and done for a long long time while i wasn’t certain one way or the other. at least i did know in my situation that i would be content to go with whatever he did ultimately want, which was a lot less stressful than having different expectations.

sorry, no certain knowledge about which birth control interferes with breastfeeding.
  • @serabjorn If you are wanting to take the pill and breastfeed your doctor will give you a certain type that has less hormones in it than a normal birth control pill. Once you stop breastfeeding you would need to let your doctor know so you could get the full-strength version or whatever other kind of birth control you'd want to use. 
  • edited July 2018
    @serabjorn I took the mini pill and safely breastfed DS for 20 months, only getting off of it to conceive this baby. Like @msb11182018 said, you will be totally fine to take a birth control with a lower dose of hormones and nurse. ETA: I will most likely do the same after this babe, because we will probably want at least one more.
  • Before my daughter, I had Mirena for 4 years and I LOVED it. Then, in between my daughter and this baby, we used NFP and it worked great. We didn't want anything long, or even semi-long term because we wanted to try for another pretty soon after her. We're not sure if we're completely done yet, but we are sure that we're done for at least a few years, so I'll probably get Mirena again after this baby. Then, when it's done and if we decide not to have anymore, H will be getting the snip snip.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @highsteaks I’m in Canada so I don’t have to worry about the extra costs really, but I agree it would be nice to just get it all over and done with at the same time. 
  • I got a Mirena after DD and plan to get one as soon and they'll allow after this one too because I absolutely loved it.  I have absolutely awful periods without birth control of some form and I know early on I won't remember to take the minipill on time every day so IUDs were really the next best option.  Plus I feel like I had less weird side effects from Mirena than oral BCPs.  I highly recommend it for anyone thinking of it. 
  • FWIW, I had a Paraguard IUD for several years since I wasn't able to take hormonal birth control due to blood clotting risk. I was very happy with it until I went in for my annual and my OBGYN mentioned that it was a bit crooked in me, meaning my protection wasn't 100%. That was scary for me, so I had it removed and I'm not sure if I'd consider getting one again.
  • I'm 38 and this is my 2nd and DH's 4th so we're done.  He's for sure on board to get a vasectomy.  I'm not sure if I'll have any sort of procedure done.

We've always just used condoms in the past.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I was on simple, generic bc for many years and never had any issues. I may go back on it simply bc my periods were so much easier and lighter on bc. But I’m not quite sure we are done just yet. We’ll have to see how labor and birth go. And if DD2 is the same kind of newborn that her sister was, ill def be done lol. But right now I’m open to a 3rd. Once I’m done ill likely get an iud. 
  • I’ll go on th mini pill, assuming BF works out, and then regular BC pills eventually. I love the pill. I’ve heard too many horror stories of IUDs migrating, etc, so I’m good taking a pill every day, plus it clears up my skin and makes my period lighter. And I’m weird and like being in control every single month, haha. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ive never been on any sort of birth control before so not sure what ill do. Always just used condoms. We want another, but i need a break from being pregnant. Lol 
  • @horsecrazy406mama i definitely count condoms as a form of birth control! 
  • Breastfeeding DD1 kept my period away for 9 months and we would have been happy to get pregnant soon after since we wanted them close in age so we skipped birth control.  We aren't sure if we will go for 3 or not so this time, I will probably get one of the IUDs inserted.  I had Mirena previously before kids and generally liked it but mannnnn it was painful when they put it in.  I am hoping it won't be as bad after kids or if my doctor recommends one of the smaller ones they have now.

I took BC pills growing up (mostly due to acne and it being required because of other meds I was on) and I am terrible at remembering to take it.  I did also use the Nuvaring for a while after college which I liked better but it tanked my sex drive and gave me really bad mood swings and probably contributed to some minor depression.

IUDs ftw!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • cm716cm716 member
    I've pretty much been trying to get pregnant/pregnant/or newly postpartum for the last seven years with just a few months exception. (I'm pregnant with baby #4). When I first started using birth control, I used the pill for a year with no problem. I went on the minipill after baby #1 and noticed a significant drop in milk supply.

After baby#2 I used breastfeeding (we wanted 2&3 close together so I was cool if a pregnancy did happen). Exclusively bf worked as birth control for me but I know it doesn't for everyone.

After baby#3 my ob recommended a paraguard iud because she said both mirena and the minipill could interfere with bf as they both contain small amounts of hormones. I  do have girlfriends who got a mirena and needed successfully though.

I HATED the paraguard, it made me bleed a TON. I'm 99% sure we're done after this baby but I'm not ready to take any permanent steps immediately. I will probably go back on the minipill after this babe if my milk tanks we may have to go back to condoms (boo) until I'm done nursing.
  • I've been off medical birth control for about 2 years. We've used the Creighton Model for natural family planning and we didn't conceive until we tried to conceive. I know I will have to be vigilant tracking my cycle as I know they will be irregular due to breastfeeding and general postpartum.

I feel like I get a lot of negative judgement as soon as I say natural family planning, but it worked for us and I plan to go back to that after the twins are born.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited July 2018
    I'm really up in the air about what I want to do after LO is here.  I have PCOS so I don't ovulate regularly, had to take medication to ovulate (although now way in hell going rely on solely on that lol).  MH is turning 40 this September so he says he's done having kids.  Although he did mention something just a few days ago about trying for another after LO is here... I dunno if that was a joke or he was serious.  I'm a little terrified to ask right now :D:D:D I dunno how I feel about it yet.  I've accepted already that LO will more likely than not be one and done for me, but I guess I wouldn't be opposed to having one more so I'm not ready to say go for it and tie my tubes or whatnot.  It's really up to MH whether he wants to do a vasectomy (actually he had gotten a vasectomy after DSD was born but then never followed up with his doctor and found out it was ineffective) or what.  Pre-TTGP I had the mirena IUD which worked fine for me.  I had very few periods on it and they were light when I did, so that was a score.  But now with the PCOS dx I dunno if I want to try a different form of BC or what...  Pre-TTGP I had been on one form of BC or another since 18 so I've used the pill, the patch, the nuva ring, etc. 

TL;DR: I'm rambling about BC and still unsure what I will do after LO gets here.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts Sorry to get all up in YH junk (pun intended) but can you elaborate on what went wrong with the vasectomy?

• @lurvleybunchococonuts normally i’d say eh don’t think about it til you’re ready to think about it, but with your dh being older plus pcos complications, that puts the two of you on a shortened timeline to decide. i can see why he mentioned trying for another right away (jokingly or not). sorry to read and comment and not provide sage wisdom. just offering pats; that is definitely tough.
  • @lifesabeach85 LMAO no worries.  I dunno exactly what happened, his current doctor said I dunno... grew back presumably (honestly, I didn't ask for all the details regarding the initial procedure since it was a couple years before I met H).  He had the procedure done but then never went for the follow up SA's to ensure it was effective (he's smart like that).  

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts in a similar situation. DH is 41, this is our first kid and I know I want more but he is hesitant. I was on the pill before and it was fine, I had to experiment with a few before I found one that worked, but I honestly have no idea what I want to do after baby and feel like we don’t have much time to decide. Try right away? Condoms? Pill again for a little bit and then try? I just don’t know! 
  • @highsteaks no worries on not having any "sage like wisdom" lol.  One of these days I'll get around to having an actual discussion with H about if he truly wants to try for one more or not.  If he does than yeah... it'd be better to do sooner rather than later.  If he doesn't than I guess I'll decide at that time, probably whatever my OB recommends.  I feel like I would be okay either way (one and done or if we tried for a 2nd).  

@firsttimespartanmom too many decisions lol.  GL! I hope we both are able to figure out what we're doing ;)

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @middleschoolmommy for me, i think about the future cost of braces. at my dd’s 2.5 yr dental check-up, the dentist already brought up the timeline and cost of future braces (about $7-8 thousand dollars)  :'(
  • We did IVF with this and still have some genetically tested embryos that are frozen-- After 3 m/c due to egg health, I definitely do NOT want to get pregnant naturally before we are ready- so I'm happily going to do an IUD like Mirena.
  • I hardly ever ovulate on my own due to PCOS, so I'm not terribly worried about getting pregnant on accident. I didn't get my period until I stopped breastfeeding DS (13 months). If we do any birth control it will be condoms. I hate hormonal BC, and we aren't sure yet if we are done. Once we decide we are, DH will have a vasectomy. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• @lifesabeach85 LMAO no worries.  I dunno exactly what happened, his current doctor said I dunno... grew back presumably (honestly, I didn't ask for all the details regarding the initial procedure since it was a couple years before I met H).  He had the procedure done but then never went for the follow up SA's to ensure it was effective (he's smart like that).  
    He's definitely not the only one! My sister's husband got a vasectomy a few years ago and my sister said she heard from tons of people whose vasectomies "failed" but they never went in for the follow up test after the procedure to check to make sure it worked. I can't believe so many people think it's okay to skip that step! At least it worked out in your favor though. ;) 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • I’m trying to convince my boyfriend to have a vasectomy... we are definitely done after this baby (which is our second). We were on the fence about having #2 and this baby was a surprise which is crazy because I have pcos and have had issues getting pregnant even with fertility treatments. I’m super happy that things worked out the way they did but I definitely don’t want a #3, so whatever we decide on needs to be super permanent! I’m the worst about remembering the pill anyway even though I like how it makes me periods regular/manageable. I’d totally get my tubes tied if I ended up with a c-section but most likely I’ll be delivering vaginally so that’s probably not going to be an option and I don’t want to have a separate procedure later. 
  • I went on the mini pill last time and I’ll do that again.