Pregnant after IF

Which breast pump did you choose?

Hi Ladies I’m looking for some advice.  I’m completely overwhelmed with trying to choose a pump.  My insurance is giving me several options and seems I can pick basically whatever as long as I’m willing to pay for an upgrade.  I’m a bit intimidated by breastfeeding as I have a history with breast/nipple pain (even before pregnancy) and though I plan to initially breast feed to establish my supply I think it is likely I will likely end up being an exclusive pumper. 

I want something that will be easily transportable to/from work, dual pumper, powerful but quiet, and a closed system.  I would like something I can pump directly into a storage bag because that just sounds easier but I really don’t understand how all that works.    

Light/compact would be a plus since I have about a 15minute walk to/from the office each day but I can deal with lugging around something heavier if it meets my other criteria.

Please let me know if you have used or chosen any from this list (or any others that might sound good that I haven’t considered yet).  Or have any tips for a totally naive newbie please let me know.  Thank you :)

• Medela Freestyle
  • Medela Sonata
  • Spectra S1 Plus
  • Ameda Fitness Double
  • Evenflow Advanced Double
  • Lansinoh Smartpump Double
Me:38 DW:33 
TTC History in Spoiler ***Trigger Warning*** Losses/Child Mentioned 
Dx: My wife has no sperm  :D and apparently my embryos aren't as good as they look

* April IUI#1 - BFN
 * June IUI#2 - BFN
 * July IUI#3 - CP  :'(
 * Sept IVF#1 - 4 Retrieved & Mature, 4 Blasts.  Fresh Transfer 1  - CP  :'(
 * November FET #1 - Transferred 1 Blast - CP  :'(
2017 Switched REs - Recurrent loss testing for me - all normal, remaining 2 frosties sent for PGS - both abnormal
 * April/May IVF#2:  9 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 7 blasts!  Sent for testing - 2PGS Normals (0 remaining)
 * November IVF #3 12R, 8M, 6F, 4 blasts! - All 4 PGS normal!
 * November FET# 2 (Transfer a PGS normal from IVF#2) - BFP!!!
2018 DD born 8/20/18
2019 5PGS frosties ( 4 remaining)
  * September FET#3 (1PGS normal) - Beta#1: 139.7  Beta#2: 322.6

Re: Which breast pump did you choose?

• I'm an exclusive pumper as my son was born prematurely and has formula added to my milk for extra calories. I got the Medela Pump in Style and it works just fine. I also rented an Ameda hospital grade pump, but honestly I didn't pump more milk with the hospital grade pump than the Medela. 

Something to consider if you have extra money or can register for a pump. I hated being tied to a wall pumping for 2+ hours a day, so I ordered the NUK Simply Natural Freemie. It was $300 from BuyBuy Baby, BUT it is small, clips onto pants and is USB rechargeable. I can get 4 pump sessions before needing a charge. It comes with the Freemie closed system collection cups, which are breast shaped and sit inside your bra. So you are hands free and can be mobile while pumping. It's been a game changer for me and likely the reason I haven't given up yet on pumping. 
  • Tulips29Tulips29 member
    edited June 2018
    Out of all the pumps you mentioned, I would go with the Spectra S1. I made the mistake of going with a Medela at first and it was ok for the first 2-3 months. Then IT HURT! I exclusively pumped, so being in pain 6-7 times a day was horrible. When my nipple cracked and bled, I decided to switch. I heard great things about the Spectra pumps, so I purchased one. What a difference! It's so gentle, a lot quieter and was a lot more effective for me. I loved it! I then got a second Spectra for work. I had the S2 at work (needs to be plugged in to work) and S1 at home as it has a rechargeable battery and I could walk around pumping, cook, do dishes, etc. I highly recommend it! I also highly recommend getting your pump through Aerofolow Breastpumps. Their customer service is amazing and they sent me replacement pump parts that were covered by insurance every 3 months or so, so I didn't have to repurchase anything. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Loading the player...
  • @MMD1986 I considered renting a hospital grade one just to see if I could even stick to pumping but since insurance is giving me a freebie that’s hard to pass up.  I would like to breastfeed and have committed myself to a month of doing it but if I don’t make it over the hump by then I’ve given myself a pass to quit.  I love the option of a USB rechargeable and something that just sits in the bra.  If I’m able to stick with it I’m ok with paying out of pocket to get something to make life easier so thank you for the recommendation of the NUK Freemie!

@Tulips29 wow I didn’t consider that the different pumps might hurt more or less.  My biggest fear with breast feeding is pain so knowing that the sprectra pumps are gentler is a HUGE deal to me.  I will be going through Aeroflow and my experience so far with them has been wonderful.  I was on the phone forever with my insurance trying to figure out what pumps were covered and got nowhere.  10minutes with Aeroflow and I had a big ol’ list of options that were free or inexpensive.  Glad to know this experience extends past the shopping process J  I never considered keeping a separate pump at work but I can see a lot of advantages there.  Do you just clean your pump parts there and keep it there all the time and transport your little cooler with the milk back and forth?  Have you noticed a difference in performance between the S1 and S2 or is the main difference that one has the battery?

Dx: My wife has no sperm  :D and apparently my embryos aren't as good as they look

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
    2017 Switched REs - Recurrent loss testing for me - all normal, remaining 2 frosties sent for PGS - both abnormal
     * April/May IVF#2:  9 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 7 blasts!  Sent for testing - 2PGS Normals (0 remaining)
    2018 DD born 8/20/18

• I have the Lansinoh smartpump double. And I'm likely the only person who has it. Haha. I chose it for several of the reasons you mentioned. I can pump directly into bags (lansinoh makes bags), it's a closed system, I can pump with or without being plugged into power (came in handy when power was out at work or pumping in parking lots), and it's light weight. The downside is that you need your own storage bag. 

The other reason I chose it? I work with medical devices and checked the FDAs website. I read the complaints and the data that was submitted to bring the device to market. This is the only one that was a closed system AND had no reported complaints/recalls at the time. 
  • No matter what you get, definitely get a spare set of parts. You can have a set at home and work, just in case. I alternate mine, bringing it home each night to stick in the dishwasher and using the clean set the next day. Also, get a small cleaning set/drying rack for work. You're going to want a place to set things. I got this one:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0771H27BW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527877099&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+breast+pump+parts+drying+rack
  • No tips (my son is a tank but when I pump I get nada), but pumping hurts me, where nursing was never any pain, truly never anything. So crossing fingers it might be the same for you! 
  • Tulips29Tulips29 member
    edited June 2018
    @2MomsHoping here's a hack, you don't need to clean pump parts between pumps! Just store them in a wet bag or ziplock bag in the fridge between pumps and reuse next time! I only washed my parts once a day at the end of the day. The only things I carried to work were bottles and flanges. Here was my process and what I carried.

I carried 4 bottles to work with me since I pumped 3 times during the work day. One bottle I kept in the fridge and reused for each pumping session. The other 3 were for my milk. I used the Spectra bottles but you can also use any other compatible bottles. If you pump into bags, that's even less stuff to carry for you! I used this Sarah Wells pumparoo for carrying my milk back home (3 bottles fit well in there). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0RVZHD/ref=twister_B010VEI808?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
    I also kept my flanges in it in the fridge between pumps. During the hot summer months and my 1.5 hour commute each way, I carried milk home in a small cooler that I kept in the fridge all day. 

I would also recommend to keep spare duckbill valves at work. I forgot them at home a few times and had to borrow from my co-worker. If you pump into bags, keep extra at work too! The times I forgot my bottles at home, I taped plastic cups to my flanges and pumped into those. It was stressful! 

There is no difference in the way S1 and S2 work. It's literally the same pump, except one is rechargeable and one needs to be plugged in all the time to work. There's also an S9, which is a small pocket pump, but it's not meant for exclusive pumping. That one is good for on the go here and there if you pump in the car, on the plane, etc. It's so tiny! I never used that one, I just carried my S1 everywhere, including plane rides. 

Pumping is not easy and time consuming. Having the Spectra definitely made it easier as the suction is so gentle and way better than Medela. My SIL just had a baby recently and used the Medela until it started to hurt her too. She also switched to the Spectra and loves how gentle it is. It also has a night light and a timer. It shuts off after 30 minutes automatically, but you can just start it up again. It also has a lot of different modes that you can play around with to see which one works best for you. I feel like I should be a spectra spokesperson haha! :lol:

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• I hear spectra is the fastest and gets the most milk out. The S1 uses batteries so you aren't tethered to an outlet. 
  • I had a hospital grade spectra from my insurance and it was leaps and bounds better than the medela i rented from the hospital. 

My current insurance offers a different version of the spectra, a travel version I guess... so I will pick that one up
  • I paid the upgrade to get the S1 through Aeroflow, based on what I had heard a lot of other moms say.  I am going to wait till I try it to determine if we need any different sized flanges, but I love that I don't have to be plugged in, bc knowing where I work now, just even having plug access in a couple of the small, private rooms available, might not be a thing. :/

Pro tip: I was able to get my pumping bag, pumparoo, breast pads, lanolin and freezer gel bead packs all from aeroflow on my fsa card, too. ;)
  • @BusinessWife I saw something on my bump main page that listed you as a leader in activity this week! haha you must have been busy!  Thank you for starting this thread it is a good topic.

I have a friend who works in the breastfeeding center at the hospital and she recommended that I get the Medela Sonata.  She said it is the next best thing to the medical grade medela pump the hospital would rent to me and she thinks I will like having it myself.  I am forseeing possibly having breast feeding issues due to PCOS.  It seems like every step of the way with this pregnancy when hormones come into play I need progesterone or a little help.  But keeping my fingers crossed I can at least breast feed some.

The hosptial rental is $85/month plus $49 for the starter kit if you don't have issues breast feeding in the hospital. My friend said they'll give it to you if you ask to pump in the hospital so that is my plan to try and score that free.  The upgrade to the sonata through my insurance was $235.  So for the same price as renting for about 3- 3.5 months I could own my own.

Like @2MomsHoping I was thinking of just renting the first month to see how it goes first.  Then I was thinking I could buy the pump if it is looking good like I might be doing it for a while.  My friend said I can re-sell the pump.  I don't know what it is, but I feel weird about buying or selling a breast pump second hand just due to cleanliness.  Maybe others don't care and would buy it.  I guess I'm more comfortable with the hospital one because I figure they clean it very well like their other equipment.  Now....as I type this though, I'm thinking a clean new pump sounds nicer!  :)

@Tulips29 that is interesting that the spectra didn't hurt as much since my hospital and insurance keep mentioning the medela as the front runner in quality.  Also thank you for the tips!
  • To those mentioning Medela. Mine gets milk out no problem, but it is painful.  Even with the same size flanges as my NUK and Ameda hospital rental. I was in tears when I had to use it for a few days, even on a low setting. 
  • I heard all the great things about Spectra and my friend recommended it since she has the S2 so I decided to get the S1 since it wouldn't require me to be plugged in. (I wasn't sure if I'd initially have an outlet for the makeshift lactation room at work that they're making for me.)

I read great reviews about Aeroflow so I went there and their customer service and website are awesome! I thought I was all set to order from them later this month (I figured I'd wait until the last minute so I can delay the beginning of the warranty as much as possible) but then heard about Pumping Essentials. It's less expensive through them and it includes a pumping bra. I've been emailing both companies the past two weeks with dozens of questions to compare. Someone above mentioned free replacement parts, but both companies made it sound like it was an out of pocket cost so I'll have to double check with them and my insurance again.

Awesome thread, @2MomsHoping!! These are all great tips, everyone. Thank you! :)
  • Just wanted to chime in that I have the Medela PISA and have never had issues with pain from day one. It sounds like everyone is different though. Definitely flange size and fit is important.  I was taught by lactation that max power setting does not equal max volume of milk pumped. You should play with the settings and find what mimics your baby's patterns. I used the hospital grade pump version of mine as my twins were in the NICU for a month and I too did not find a difference in pumping volume. My supply has gone up over time. I am pumping more now only doing it 4 times a day at home now than I was in the hospital doing 8 times a day. I am breastfeeding about 6 times a day. It's all about nipple stimulation.  A baby will remove more milk than a pump therefore will increase supply. I like Medela for the ease of replacement parts and accessories. Can easily find at Target or get shipped from Amazon in 2 days. I love my Sarah Wells pumparoo wet bag, a must for pumping at work or elsewhere to store your parts. I bought a car charge adapter for my pump and that worked out slick. I would advise to have extra membranes, I change mine out monthly as advised from lactation and friends. Good luck finding the best pump for you! 

• Thank you everyone for the information!  The tips and experiences are great!!!

@persnickity thank you for the feedback on the lansinoh I’d never even heard of the brand until it came up on my list.  Have you found it to be comfortable while pumping?  I’ve heard from quite a few that the medela’s can be a bit rough.  Also I added the oxo dry rack to my registry, thank you!  Really dying to use that completion discount on amazon. 

@polythenePam I always assumed that pumping would be less hurty than nursing.  Shows how much I know!  I guess part of it is just seeing how things go with me and the LO.

@tulips29 thank you for the details on the logistics, and the hack for refrigerating the pump parts that sounds like it would save so much time!  And I like the idea of keeping some spare things on hand.  I’m already a tad on the forgetful side and I’m sure taking care of an infant isn’t going to improve that situation.  Sounds like I need to clean out a desk drawer. 

@cseley321 & @businesswife thank you for the additional spectra endorsements I’m starting to see a pattern here ;)

@hoittietoddy I didn’t know PCOS also played a role in breast feeding.  That really stinks, why can’t anything be easy sometimes??!  The sonata does seem to have some pretty neat features.  That hospital rental price sounds high considering the price of the pump I would just shell out the money to pay upfront too.  I was doing some research about the quality of Medela vs. Spectra I think the motor is estimated to have a longer run time so maybe that’s what they talk about with quality of the pump.  It always seems to ambiguous. 

@jr102217 thank you for the tip on pumping essentials.  I go things started with aeroflow and they seemed great but if I can get the pump at a lower price I’m all about that!

@doubleblessings1124 a car charger sounds like a great add on, and it’s good to know you haven’t experience pain with the medela! 

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
    2018 DD born 8/20/18

• @2MomsHoping I think it's comfortable. It doesn't feel any different than actual nursing for me now that I have the settings adjusted.

I had never heard of it either, but it's been perfect for me. I have a plain lunch box that I put the milk bags into and keep in the fridge at work. I add an ice pack when I drive home. I have another old bag that I use to keep the pump, rubbin, and flanges in.

Side note, I tried putting everything in the fridge once instead of washing each time. Brrrr! Too cold for me. I now wash each time.
  • I got Spectra S2. I looked on Amazon and the Spectra pumps were popular so I ended up getting the S2 that was covered by my insurance. I don’t have any experience with other pumps besides an Ameda one I used at the hospital but it works pretty well. I ended up needing a smaller size flange so ordered several sets from Spectra. Got sick of constantly washing them that I ordered a few of them so I always have a clean set that I can use. 
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • thanks @2MomsHoping yes pcos is a hormonal disorder so hormonal issues can affect breast feeding.  I am on metformin though and plan to be while breast feeding also.  My ob said that metformin has been known to help breast feeding in some cases.  I am keeping my fingers crossed I can at least do it for a few months, even a month I'll take
  • @hottietoddy I wish I would have known about metformin and PCOS since I have it and had no idea I could take something to make breastfeeding easier. Does it help get the milk out or help produce more milk? Do you know? The only thing I ever took was sunflower lecithin which I SWEAR by...it helps make the milk less sticky and prevents clogs and mastitis. I really do believe the only reason I was able to pump for 13 months was because lecithin helped me so much. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• hottietoddyhottietoddy member
    edited June 2018
    @Tulips29 thanks for the tip!  I will try the sunflower lecithin once I have the baby!  I don't know the details about how metformin might help.  I am on it because I have GD and decided to stay on it through whole pregnancy to avoid hormonal changes that could be a problem. Although I am back on progesterone suppositories now due to having shortened cervix.  I do know that you can't just start taking metformin while you are still pregnant I don't think.  So most likely it might be something they would give you postpartum. I am really just dipping my toe into the breastfeeding pond at this point, but I'll let you know if I find out more!
  • @hottietoddy got it! Ok, will be curious to learn more. G-d willing we have another baby, I feel like I'm learning so much every day and adding a mental note for all the tips. With sunflower lecithin, you just have to find a dosage that works for you. I took 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the evening and was fine. Someone else I know took only 1 pill a day and got clogs periodically. Any time I took a lower dosage, I felt very uncomfortable. So I stuck to 4 the entire time I pumped.

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Thank you everyone for the help/advice both on the pumps and on surviving the actual pumping process.  Pregnancy has been a lot to learn seems like it’s nothing compared to actual motherhood.  I’m going to go ahead with the Spectra S1.  @jr102217 thank you for the tip on pumping essentials.  Aeroflow only had the spectra S1 upgrade with a bag I didn’t really want and it was over $200 dollars for the upgrade package.  I could get the S1 from pumping essentials for only $40 bucks (without the bag) and instead buy a bag I really like instead (thought hopefully still not as much as the $160 price difference..lol

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
    2018 DD born 8/20/18

• @2momshoping Yes apparently they have different contracts with each manufacturer or insurance company so the prices are different, so I was surprised by the different prices! I didn't want to get a bag through any of those companies either but I liked the pumping bra that Pumping Essentials offered so got the S1 with the pumping bra. I was glad to read this thread because I checked if replacements were covered and one spare kit is covered under my plan. I finally ordered it on Friday! I do have to say - Aeroflow has really good customer service via phone and email but they were more expensive. I wish I could've gone with them, but the $40-50 that I'm saving can go towards a box or two of diapers!

Regarding breast pump bags, if you're able to try them out in the store, go for it. I thought my friend gave me some good advice, after she thought she had one she liked but then had to travel for work (and consequently visited me). She ordered a couple and she unfortunately liked the more expensive one (~$100) but it had more space for not just the pump and supplies but also her laptop and work supplies. That's definitely something to consider if you're traveling or commuting and don't want to carry another laptop bag. I got some bags I registered for on Amazon and Target, but the Buy Buy Baby and Target stores didn't have the bag I really wanted for me to try on so I have to order it from Amazon. 
  • @jr102217 I agree on the specific bag needs.  If I had to take a purse, lunchbag, pump bag, and laptop case I would literally loose my mind (and likely one or more of those bags) while going to/from work.  So basically I’m planning on buying the biggest bag in the whole world to carry it all.  I’ve become a huge fan of large tote bags now I just need a pump bag that is like XXXL so it can carry all my normal stuff in addition to the pump and supplies.  I may become one of those crazy ladies lugging around a wheeled carry on to work :D

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
    2018 DD born 8/20/18

• hottietoddyhottietoddy member
    edited June 2018
    Hi guys, just checking in to report I think I have made the decision to just rent the hospital grade pump once I deliver.  We did the hospital tour last week and I saw they shop where they have the pumps,all the accessories and lactation consultants.  I am just going to start there because I don't know how pcos is going to affect my breast feeding anyhow.  It is less stressful to just get what I need there and rent for a few weeks to see how it goes.  If it goes really well and I want to pump for a long time, I might buy a medela sonata pump for myself after a while if it is more cost effective and seems like it will work.  
  • JWatt5JWatt5 member
    For those who have to carry it all to work, highly suggest getting a day pack. I have one by Jansport and I LOVE it! 
    It’s my diaper bag, purse, laptop and everything else bag now. I got it in black. I love that it opens super wide at the top. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5054-520/Watchtower-28L-Pack
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• @hottietoddy Good luck! I've had friends exclusively breastfeed, exclusively pump, and formula feed and a mix of all of it, so do whatever works best for you and baby!

@JWatt5 wow I wonder how big that bag is. It looks like it's also an ergonomic bag so it doesn't hurt your back? I'm hoping to order this Sarah Wells bag

AFM, I ended up ordering the Spectra S1 from Pumping Essentials. While I had a great experience with Aeroflow and a customer rep over the phone, Pumping Essentials were quick to reply with any of my questions and were less expensive ($52.50 with my insurance) than Aeroflow. I picked the option with a pumping bra (I calculated that it was less expensive to go through them and I was already paying it all with my FSA) and a coupon for another bra. Once I filled out the forms, it took a couple days to process and get my prescription and I received my pump 5 business days after I first submitted the paperwork. I don't plan to pump until a couple weeks before I have to go back to work, but we'll see how everything goes, and even though that's 2-3 months away, I wanted to go ahead and take care of it now. Fingers crossed that breastfeeding and pumping go successfully! 

• Wow this was a great thread- thanks ladies!! One more question....what do you wear to work when pumping?? Or does this not really matter? I wear dresses a lot and am thinking that prob will not work...
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • @lablover78 It really depends on where you're pumping. I tend to wear separates, because I sit down and don't want to sit fully naked in the room I'm in. My coworker who pumps wears dresses and just stands. Also, I get dressed and then nurse in the mornings, so I need easy access.