November 2018 Moms
Options

Mini Crib vs Bassinet

Hello! I’m registering and the one thing I cannot make a decision on is a mini crib vs bassinet. 

I was was planning on getting the Babyletto Mini Crib for the baby to sleep in right away. Is that crazy? Do you need a bassinet for the first few months? 

We’re in a one bedroom NYC apartment so I’d rather not get both!

Re: Mini Crib vs Bassinet

• Options
    I’ve never heard of a mini crib, so i can’t speak to that specifically. But it’s hard to say what baby will like to sleep in - and they can be picky! If you know the mini crib is what you really want baby to be in eventually, you should probably go ahead and get that. And if they aren’t ready for it at first, you can look into something smaller and easily foldable/storable like a rock n play. 

• Options
    The one thing I would recommend is checking the weight limits. We ended up moving the regular crib in our room with our 5 year old because the bassinet we used only went up to like 25 pounds and he was a big baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't heard of a mini crib before, sounds interesting. I did use a bassinet with both DD1 and DD2. I preferred the Arm's reach one, because I could pull down one side and it came flush with my bed for easy night time feeding while not taking up too much room. There's usually a bunch of them on the FB marketplace near me for a decent price. +1 on the weight limits, I imagine in a one bedroom you'll have baby in your bedroom more than the first month.
  • Options
    We had the crib in our bedroom and DD slept in it since day 1 of being home from the hospital. She never slept in anything else at bedtime, so I don't think it will be a problem at all. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    @offtoneverland did you use a typical crib or a mini crib? 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @pink_polkadots A typical crib. I should have mentioned that! A mini crib is just like a regular crib though, just a tad smaller.
    ETA: They use mini cribs at DD's day care for the babies. They're still a pretty good size and will fit baby for a while, at least a year if not more, I think! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    @offtoneverland gotcha! Just curious because this baby is going to be getting a corner of our bedroom due to not having a third bedroom. So I’m gonna try to make a cozy little corner with sleeping and changing arrangements. Just don’t know quite how to do it yet without it overpowering our bedroom. We are planning on moving next year to a home with more space, so we need something that will work functionally in our room until then.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I have friends that have sworn by their mini cribs, if that helps at all :) 
  • Options
    A pack and play is another option, we keep one in the corner of our living room set up with an area for changing diapers and both my girls napped in it. Might be a reasonable, space-saving, and cost-effective option. We also pack it up and take it on the road when visiting family.

• Options
    Thanks so much, everyone!