September 2018 Moms

Salmonella Outbreak in Pre- cut Melons

https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/adelaide-06-18/index.html

• On June 8, 2018, Caito Foods, LLC recalled fresh cut watermelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, and fresh-cut fruit medley products containing one of these melons produced at the Caito Foods facility in Indianapolis, Indiana.
    • Recalled products were distributed to Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, and Ohio.
    • Recalled products were sold in clear, plastic clamshell containers at Costco, Jay C, Kroger, Payless, Owen’s, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, Walgreens, Walmart, and Whole Foods/Amazon.
    • The investigation is ongoing to determine if products went to additional stores or states.
  • Do not eat recalled products. Check your fridge and freezer for them and throw them away or return them to the place of purchase for a refund.
    • If you don’t remember where you bought pre-cut melon, don’t eat it and throw it away.

Re: Salmonella Outbreak in Pre- cut Melons

• Bumping this up bc my coworker's husband jusy got sick after eating pre-cut pineapple.  I even tried to warn her!  Bc I know she doesn't like to fuss with cutting up pineapple.  Who knows for sure if that was it, but he definitely got food poisoning, and she didn't, and that's the only thing they can think of that he was eating and she wasn't. :/
  • Loading the player...
  • Bumping this up bc my coworker's husband jusy got sick after eating pre-cut pineapple.  I even tried to warn her!  Bc I know she doesn't like to fuss with cutting up pineapple.  Who knows for sure if that was it, but he definitely got food poisoning, and she didn't, and that's the only thing they can think of that he was eating and she wasn't. :/
    Eek! I hope he’s ok!
  • I don't know about you guys, but I've decided that I'm going to put pre-cut melon on my list of foods not to eat in pregnancy. This is the third outbreak since we've been pregnant (2 in America and 1 in Australia) and I'm thinking there may be an issue with how melons are processed. Unlike a lot of fruits melons are grown on the ground and hence are in direct contact with fertilizers which can include manure, then after cutting the high surface area and high water content gives bacteria a lot of opportunity to grow. 

In the UK last year there was some scientific research into bacteria growth in banged pre-washed salad leaves and their research showed high levels of bacteria could grow in the bags before the use by date. Their recommendation was to eat any pre-baged salad as soon as possible from the date of purchase, preferably on the day of or day after purchase. I think this would be a good rule to follow for all pre-prepared fruits and vegetables.

What are your thoughts on the outbreak?
  • adiratadirat member
    @stothi I gagged reading that. She shouldn't be packing ANYONE's raw meat that way! Gross gross gross!

• @stothi I hear you and agree. That being said most grocery cashiers are taught very strongly only three rules, and are usually young and dumb. 1-food can only be bagged with other food.2-double bag cans and alcohol. 3- Don't use too many bags. 

Doesn't really explain the bread, unless maybe she was dumb and used to put bread with heavy things and squish it, so she had other customers tell her to separate bread.

Either way, especially low income homes don't have a way to teach basic food and or bagging safety. You don't learn it in school, and if your parents either work all the time or use all generally processed or freezer foods because those are quick plus frozen or canned produce you never deal with raw meat or anything. 

Not that any of this excuses her, but just trying to explain how this crap happens, having been there. I was embarrassingly old when I learned that you can buy fresh meat or veggies. 

None of that means you should just put up with it either though, or that you shouldn't be frustrated!!!!
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I worked at Walmart as a cashier in high school and bagging was a HUGE part of the training. I’m talking 10 hours on the computer virtually bagging items, plus two hours bagging cart fills for your trainer. And the computer program was super picky. Maybe it’s just a Walmart Canada thing though? But even still, I’ve had to correct a lot of cashiers. 

Most of it it was common sense for me because I had been bagging my parents groceries since I could reach the belt. Food safe courses were also mandatory in my school. Again, I know that’s not common because I come from a tiny school. 150 students from preschool to grade 12 in the year I graduated.  But like @stothi said, it can differ even in the same household. My sister is only 2 years younger than me and it is shocking at how little she knows about pretty much anything. 
  • starlastarla member
    I always bag my own groceries because I don't trust the teenage kids working the register to do it properly. They often put soft stuff on the bottom, like fruit, and it gets bruised. I have a whole system and it's like a game of lego! LOL But when they do help, they usually ask if you want your meat in a separate bag. I always use reusable bags though so i'll put it at the bottom, usually in its own bag. You have to remember to wash the bags if anything leaks.
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• @stothi yeah, my sister and I (8 years apart) grew up in totally different situations even though it was technically the same single parent household...we learned totally different things. 

@dairygirl93 The training I got at Target was....lacking. Food safety courses SHOULD be mandatory at all middle and high schools, personal opinion, but I've never even heard of one being offered, and my school was pretty small. My freshman year was the first time the graduating class was over 100. Obviously larger than your school, but still. 

Either way, store should have done better to teach for sure! Because obviously people don't all learn this stuff at home.

1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Usually the grocery stores by me have the rolls of plastic bags in the meat section. I always bag the package and insist that meat be bagged completely separate from everything else at checkout. Also I'm afraid of salad while pregnant