September 2018 Moms
Options

TV Talk: The Handmaid's Tale

Re: TV Talk: The Handmaid's Tale

• Options
    Yeah I don't think there was a trade either. I think June would be straight as an arrow if there were a trade on the line! 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    Well this week's episode just made me sob hysterically.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrsPNWmrsPNW member
    Absolutely! The second half, especially, had me UGLY crying!! 
  • Options
    Omg H is out of town tonight and I'm SO EXCITED to watch based on those comments! 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @Patience7150 have tissues ready. And maybe Tylenol. I actually gave myself a headache from all the crying.
  • Options
    Yep - I CRIED! This show is so good. It's the only sad or dramatic thing I can watch right now. And the ending...omg and whats going to happen next week...
  • Options
    Oh man! I know I asked for more Hannah, but thst was so painful! Props to them though for really covering it all- kid’s emotions, to needing to mom-up and let her go again w a brave face and painful encouragement. 

I really hope they get Hannah to Canada at some point at least. Then I can breath and focus on June and baby, haha!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Options
    @jhjocelyn I know. They did it really well. That whole scene was so hard/beautiful/wrenching. Poor Hannah knows too much.  

I want June to save Hannah and the baby! But, I don't see how she can do anything at this point. I kind of hope Luke springs to action (I don't know how), but I feel it's more likely and fitting that Moira or Emily will be the ones helping June. Ugg. I'm so nervous about the outcome. I want a happy ending even if it ends the show! Maybe when I'm not pregnant, I will be more into stringing along the drama. 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    Yep - I CRIED! This show is so good. It's the only sad or dramatic thing I can watch right now. And the ending...omg and whats going to happen next week...
    I almost pooped my pants when I noticed that it was episode 10 and last season ended on 10. I thought they were going to cliffhanger us till next season!!! Now I'm so incredibly impatient for the next episode (and so relieved there is one.)

So, how do we feel about Nick? I feel like June's ultimate goal is to get both her children to Canada and to Luke, but what about Nick? If he can get to Canada too does she have to choose between him and Luke? Does she go for some polyamory? I don't really see that as a viable option for her and/or Luke, but I don't want Nick left out in the cold.
  • Options
    Aw poor Nick, he gets the raw end of the deal. Did he get shot? Or did I misjudge what happened in that moment? 

I don’t think he can end up w June, I’m guessing he doesn’t survive the end of the show... 

I think he is a temporary thing for June to sustain her amongst the crazy. I feel like if he doesn’t smarten up though Eden is gonna turn on him. 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

• Options
    stothistothi member
    @jhjocelyn I couldn't tell if he got shot or not! I think we are supposed to think he did? Also, in the wise words of Sebastian the crab, Nick needs to "kiss the girl," and show Eden some dang affection. Yes, it's a lie, but welcome to the world you live in buddy.
  • Options
    Nick is so interesting. I’m really glad he is there for June, but I don’t think he would stand between her and Luke. I don’t feel like he and June are in love - just more like they really care about each other and need each other. In Canada, they would have different lives - but Nick is the babies father - I just remembered - oh that complicated things...and, yes, I think he got shot. But obviously he will live. I’m more concerned that June is going to have to deliver her own baby out there by herself!!! 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @magnolia209 I think that Nick does love her, but that June just likes him a lot/needs him. Nick risks a lot that he really doesn't have to for June where as she's pretty much already f-d no matter what so she might as well go for it. I feel like he actually loves her.
    And, um, yeah, I'm pretty scared that she's going to be delivering that baby by herself. I'm fairly sure that's what they are setting us up for.
  • Options
    Patience7150Patience7150 member
    edited June 2018
    I'm not a fan of Nick overall. I think it's great he's there for June, but like @stothi says, unless he wises up, he isn't going to be around much longer because Eden is going to fall off the deep end and either tell people he's a "gender traitor" or that he likes the handmaid. Also, what would you do if you were in June's position? Stay in the house, or get running/hiding to get her and the baby out of there? Also, how the heck is Fred going to explain that he knows where she is. 

And this week further emphasized my distrust and dislike for Serena. Who rapes a girl to get the baby out? The natural way is the best way? Yeah right, do you know how much stress that baby just went through?? Not good for your baby, psycho. 

ETA: I actually didn't cry over the Hannah stuff. I just felt bad for June. She's had everything taken from her, why wouldn't her baby hate her too? Idk, maybe I'm just emotionally drained this week, but it was one of those "of course that's how it would play out" moments for me. 
  • Options
    All the feels are back this week! I wish she wouldn't have shot the gun, but hopefully that doesn't matter in the end and she can still get out of there! 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    edited June 2018

Using a spoiler box cause my comment just feels sensitive to me both as a show spoiler and as a potential trigger for loss moms.

I was ok most of the episode. Interested, concerned, engaged but ok until that conversation at the end between June and Holly. It triggered just a massive sob fest. "In the future or in heaven." Instant sobbing. Her being willing to go back to Gilead to make sure Holly lives and accepting that heaven might be the next time she gets to talk to her baby. Sobbing. Just sobbing my face off even typing that. That episode just kicked me right in the emotional balls!

• Options
    I wonder if seeing Hannah helped her at all with cutting emotional ties with Holly and "treating it as a job" as she says...almost like equating it to giving the child up for adoption, or surrogacy. Either way, I wouldn't be able to do it. 
  • Options
    I wasn’t too surprised at all the things that happened, I am always impressed at how well they portray June’s thoughts and feels without having to explain them. Like the moment she chooses to send for help w the gun. Though, really, I wonder if she’d known hwlp wouldn’t arrive in time and  they’d be okay after the birth, would she have tried to run? 

And, in reality, our bodies are hugely connected to our emotions, while it could happen under that much stress, I feel like on average most woman’s bodies would hold off labor until the mom felt “safe” or at least safe-er... I know in my circle, labor often is triggered when the last step of the to-do list is complete and mom is mentally ready. It’s not a perfect response, but I feel like high stress would stall labor. 

I’m also super annoyed she couldn’t get out of the garage... this is the second show I’ve seen in the last few months woth this dilemma, has no one ever thought of using a flipping screwdriver and taking it off the hinges?! Even just disconnecting one side or a couple of spits should loosen it enough to bust out.... ugh. 

• Options
    stothistothi member
    @jhjocelyn oh my gosh about the freaking garage! Why didn't she try any of the other 3 doors!? Or light the door on fire? Or like you said just start unscrewing things or break the hinges...
    That made me crazy. I feel like June's character is smart enough to have figure that one out. 
  • Options
    I'm also annoyed she couldn't get out of the garage @jhjocelyn. And I guess FFFC our garage door freezes shut occasionally, and generally just kicking it releases the ice enough to open it. And how freaking thick was that garage door that the vehicle couldn't run through it!? 
  • Options
    @jhjocelyn Also annoyed with the garage. Why didn't she take the shotgun, shoot the door from the inside to make it weaker, then barrel through it? I mean, I probably won't have all my logic abilities in the midst of being trapped during labor but that really agitated me. 

I know it's unlikely, but the optimist in me is hoping someone from the resistance is pulling up. 
  • Options
    magnolia209magnolia209 member
    edited June 2018
    OMG - I’m with you all in the garage frustration. I wouldn’t know what to do either, but it really seemed like there could have been a solution. 

Most of the episode, I was exhausted. Like I can barely get my shoes on and get out the door. She was doing so much stuff! While 39 or 40 weeks pregnant. 

Then, I just couldn’t handle the labor. I was sobbing. I can’t imagine having to do it alone. How terrifying. Yes, I wonder what if she hadn’t shot the gun. I mean - she just delivered her own baby. I think the rest will be easy. Spend a few days recovering there and then bust open the garage and carry on with the escape! I know she wanted the baby to live. That’s why she did it. Oh, I’m a wreck now. I’m thinking about seeing my son for the first time. 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    I think if June hadn't had the bleed earlier in pregnancy and the bleeding while in labor, she would have delivered alone and then recovered and moved on. I think she 100% could have and would have handled it if it wasn't for that damn bleed.
  • Options
    Yeah @stothi you are probably right. That freaked me out too. I was sure it was going to end way worse when I saw all that blood. 
  • Options
    Omgoodness, I did not see that coming! And I don’t think I even date watch the season finale next week... it looks like a nightmare. 

• Options
    stothistothi member
    Wait, what- there's more? I totally thought last week was the season finale for some reason. I just assumed they were leaving it as a cliffhanger after Holly was born. 
  • Options
    I trusted you @stothi and I didn't even check!!! I feel so betrayed. 
  • Options
    Ha! I was wondering why no one had commented on it yet!

• Options
    stothistothi member
    I trusted you @stothi and I didn't even check!!! I feel so betrayed. 
    Don't ever trust my sleep deprived baby brain, lol! I'm dumber than a box of rocks most days. I seriously thought it was the season finale. Now I'm wondering what's going to happen that's more intense than the last two episodes. Cause these last 2 were pretty intense.

I just watched this week's episode and cried my face off even worse than usual!!!
  • Options
    Oh - you guys- I just watched. This show! I’m crying into my cup of coffee. 
  • Options
    Also, the whole spectator sport of everything killing related just seems so ancient gladiatorial to me. We studied in school the rise and fall of Roman Empire. It seemed like the downfall of society could be seen in the numbing of people - in taking away their ability to empathize - in desensitizing them to death. It’s happening in real life for sure. It’s definitely happening in Gillead. Do you think there would ever be a revolt (in Gillead)? How long can all the oppressed people stay oppressed. I feel like Serena is on the brink...
  • Options
    @magnolia209 I think there will be. I know the handmaids already tried but I think "everyday" people will begin to as well. I think before, they were able to kind of avoid all these things but now their children are being more effected (affected? I'm so bad at that) as they come of age. 
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor Yeah, I was just watching how affected Serena and Eden’s Mom were. Doing this kind of crap to the Martha’s and Handmaids gets a reaction out of them but not out of the powerful class. But doing it to their own, I’m curious what is going to be the tipping point. Ugg. It’s all so messed up. But I love this show! 
  • Options
    I can't get a good read on Emily's new situation. Is that guy a lunatic who is going to hurt her, or is he a lunatic that's going to relax on the standards and rules of Gilead? He knows so much about her background and yet accepted her. And that question about whether she's fully healed just creeped me out. I agree @magnolia209 - this is so freaking messed up, but so good! I almost look forward more to wednesday and the new episode than to my weekly ticker change on the bump...
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @Patience7150 omg, him questioning her about healing! CREEPY! I have zero idea if this guy is going to hurt her or help her.
  • Options
    How are they going to fit all of this into tomorrow’s episode?! I am so impatient. It needs to be here but then I don’t want it to be over! But then I need for it to end b/c it consumes me!!!
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    I'm not ready!!!!
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    Just finished watching episode 13- wtf June!? What are you doing!? I mean, I'm pretty sure I know what she thinks she's doing... And omg Serena! Time to wise up. Uuuuugggghhhh!!!!
  • Options
    mrsPNWmrsPNW member
    Just finished it too!! Omg.... I mean, I totally get her decision but still... she was so close! And Serena, wow, her character made such a turnaround!! 
  • Options
       Okay, I waited till daylight/nap to watch. Omgoodness!!! So much in one space!

I had a feeling the creepy commander was gonna help Emily... but I did not see Aunt Lydia coming, I kinda respect her, as twisted as her beliefs are, she is able to infiltrate all the levels of Gilead, talk to anyone, and can be nurturing just as much as a dictator and evil. It’s fascinating. 

I’m so curious now, will June live on the run until she can rescue Hannah? What happens if she gets caught? There is no reason to return to the waterford’s now, ever. 

And what will Serena do? Run to Canada, try for another baby, keep trying to change Gilead?

What about Nick? 

I hope Rita gets away with it! 

Ggaahh so much to process!