Baby Names
Options

Is this a name?

Hi all,

We have been on the hunt for a boys name. Our other kids have traditional type names. My husband thought of Houston out of the blue. Surprisingly, I actually like it. But the logical part of me worries it’s not a real name and of the potential teasing factor. What does everyone think? Yay or nay? 

Re: Is this a name?

• Options
    I don’t see anything wrong with this name. Also, I went to school with someone named Houston (elementary through high) and don’t ever remember them being teased at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bawagsbawags member
    Would not use it myself, but I don't think its bad at all. People use city/place names for their children all the time- Ireland, Denver, Madison, Phoenix, Cheyenne, Savannah, Paris, Brooklyn, Dakota etc :-)
  • Options
    mb0112mb0112 member
    Place names are common especially western ones like Austin but I also immediately thought “Houston we have a problem”. It’s not my style but not the worst. 
  • Options
    Enh. I mean, it's not the worst place name, but like, Houston? That's the best you can come up with?
  • Options
    "Houston we have a problem" is a minor infraction. It could get wearing to hear it from people ALL the time. I spent a short time being Jessica James (thus the Jesse James hits) but aside from having to force a small fake laugh my life was not greatly affected. I have the name Nikita chosen for a girl because I love that I can shorten to both Nicki and Kitty; but people hate it, I keep asking why. But honestly, it's still at the top of my list. As a parent we have to worry about the teasing factor. Many were against the name Lucas because they heard "Lucas Mucas" which wouldn't put me off the name to be honest. I love the name Lucas and it's quite common. As for Houston, I say yes. I see no real problem it. 
  • Options
    It’s a last name and I’m not a fan of last name as first names.
  • Options
    Eh...I’m typically not a fan of cities as names. It’s just ok. I do like the nn option of calling him Hugh. 
  • Options
    You can do much better