July 2018 Moms
Options

WTF Wednesday - 6/6/18

2»

Re: WTF Wednesday - 6/6/18

• Options
    Omg WTF to your friend @zande2016. Instead of being supportive she is questioning where he got it? It's not like he's got an STD for God's sake. Sorry but you have all the rights to be oversensitive, that message sounded slightly accusatory to me but I'm the queen of reading between the lines lol
  • Options
    Glad to know I’m not overreacting. She’s extremely clueless. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @zande2016 his services will begin late June early July so it will run at the same time baby is born. We are waiting for them to find a provider and they have 28 days to do so. 
  • Options
    DH added that even if your son doesn't need extra help...getting extra help if it's offered is great. He said people get too caught up on what other people will think about getting services when it's really such a great thing that we do for kids and we need to embrace these opportunities. @wildtot and @zande2016. I'm glad my DH has such a positive attitude about EI and stuff like that. I think for him tho, it comes from having a younger sister with T21 Downs Syndrome and MIL is a services coordinator, so he gets it.

Also, I was showing DH the HDBD pics and he commented on how low @wildtot 's belly is, but also that you still looked small, aka, not like a cow! Hope the compliment makes you feel better about your pictures from the other day.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    edited June 2018
    @flockofmoosen3 your H is my new best friend lol thank you! This kid is certainly low right now i hope i can make it 4 more weeks! 
    Edited words
  • Options
    @zande2016 I feel like people think ticks only happen in the woods and are aghast that you found one if you aren't a forest dwelling daily hiker. She definitely should have been more careful of her words and you are not overreacting.  My son had a tick embedded last year that I missed for almost the entire day AND It was a deer tick. He would have been 24-26 months ish, I'm lucky the tick either didn't carry Lyme or wasn't there long enough.
  • Options
    nimmlenimmle member
    @wildtot Last year my nephew (now 4) needed EI for fine motor skills. He also comes from two insanely smart Harvard educated parents. So EI shouldn't be a reflection on you or your child. It's there to make sure he is on track. Sure, he would have likely caught up eventually anyway, but why not make sure he's still pacing with his peers?
  • Options
    amdftwamdftw member
    @zande2016 I'm sorry your friend is acting like that!  On Sunday my DS had been playing outside in the evening, not in the woods, but our yard does back up to woods.  Anyway I gave him a bath and didn't notice anything but then when getting his jammies on I saw a tiny spec on his abdomen.  I thought it was dirt so I tried to brush it off and that's when I realized it was actually a VERY tiny tick.  We got it off of course but point is if it was attached anywhere else it probably would have been missed.  Please don't feel bad.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @zande2016 She was very insensitive in her text, but it's possible she had no idea she was being insensitive.  Crossing the life-experiences boundary with friends can be really tough.  I've lost a few friends because they just can't understand what it's like to be a parent and it wasn't worth the drama to explain why we can't do late dinners and last minute stuff like we used to.  Hell, I'm even going through it with my SIL right now because she wants to go to a vinyard for Father's day and doesn't get how that's a problem with me 34 weeks pregnant on orders to stay off my feet.  It sucks when you're supposed best friend doesn't seem to make an effort to understand your life situation, if you are that close it would be worth a sit down chat after things calm down.  +1 for not bathing DD every day (thought that was an UO glad to hear we're not alone) and if it was a tiny deer tick we would have easily missed it, especially if it was in the fold of her ear.

@wildtot I'm sorry DH is adding to your stress, I know it can be hard for some people to ask for help even when they really need it. When my dad got laid off it was really hard for him to ask for state assistance; he was raised that you were a failure if needed one of those programs, so absolutely see how SIL and potentially parental attitudes could be deeply grained in him.  I do think sometimes we are quick to over-medicate or label things, but I do also think there's been a boom in knowledge and research in mental and physical medicine and are getting better at recognizing certain things.  To Zande's point - I just dont' think autism was recognized or talked about much when we were kids - so yes the lacking instinct to protect self does seem like a thing anyone would talk to pediatrician about and there may have been some head burrying, but I'm not sure they would have made the connection to something on the spectrum in the 80s or 90s. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 she definitely has no idea she was being insensitive. But that's one of the things that has honestly made it difficult to remain close with her over the years, aside from just the different places we are in with our lives, she is very much the type of person who cannot really see things from anyone's perspective  than her own. This is the same friend who asked me to go on a girl's weekend this August, knowing i'll have a 2-3 week old haha. And re autism, you're completely right that it was not recognized like it is now, but the fact that his whole family talks about these stories from when he was a kid and burned himself with hot water, etc., shows that everyone knew something was off but it was not investigated. Again, totally not trying to judge or blame, but I do think they looked the other way. But today we are so aware of these symptoms and signs, and the real point of my post is the amazing things we can do by addressing issues early on :smile:  
  • Options
    @zande2016 that's tough, I've had to walk away from some close friendships in the last few years - including the girl that was supposed to be my MOH but "didn't feel she could give a speech" and asked to just be a bridesmaid a year after agreeing.  We haven't even talked since DD was born.  And I totally agree that someone should have asked something about BIL's young behavior and early intervention is key.  Same page :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker