June 2018 Moms

GBS Positive

My doctor informed me I'm GBS positive. I didn't have this with my DD1. A bit worried about labor and antibiotics. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm more worried about the baby than anything else. I feel like I did something wrong this pregnancy!

Re: GBS Positive

• izza2izza2 member
    What is it that you're concerned about?

It's generally not a huge deal to come back positive. You'll get antibiotics during delivery to help protect you and your LO. If you give birth before you can get those antibiotics, there are some symptoms to keep an eye out for with LO, but you can either Google those or talk to your OB.

Being group B positive is fairly common. Something like up to 30 or 40% of pregnant women come back positive?

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• I don’t have any personal experience with being GBS+, but the only advice I have for you anecdotally was told to me by a NICU nurse that babies of GBS+ moms should be started on probiotic drops to help them build up good bacteria in their gut to prevent tummy problems associated with the antibiotics wiping out good bacteria. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was gbs+ with DS1. It wasn't a big deal. Just did IV antibiotics while I was being induced. There's not any rhyme or reason to it, from what I could tell when I googled it back then, just one of those things that happens. DS1 is fine and I'm fine. You didn't do anything wrong. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This explains it all really in-depth and should help you understand options, what will go down, why, etc.: 
    https://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/
  • abteambabteamb member
    Thank you ladies. I guess I'm worried that I'll get the baby sick when he's born. I know it's very common, just a little nerve wracking of something else to worry about. Also, I was hoping to have him with no interventions. Now I'm worried I won't be able to labor the way I want if I'm stuck to the antibiotics. I'm sure everything will be fine. Just a little nervous.
  • @abteamb you will have to have an IV once you get to the hospital, but there’s no risk until your water breaks. So fx your labor goes like most (90%) and starts before your water breaks. Only 2% of babies born to moms who are gbs+ get sick WITHOUT antibiotics but it’s realky serious for that 2% so the antibiotics are worth it. I think the chances of baby getting sick WITH antibiotics is like .004% or something. So don’t stress. Just head to the hospital when your water breaks and maybe labor at home as much as you can before that if you’re close by. 
  • abteambabteamb member
    @doxiemoxie212 yes I definitely have my bags packed in the car in case I have to head straight to the hospital if my water breaks at work. I'm already 3cm dilated, lost plug, and 70% effaced. So could be any moment. I hope baby will be fine. I'm definitely going to go on the antibiotics for his sake. Praying everything goes well! 
  • @abteamb just make sure you eat first. It’s not that kind of rush lol. Don’t get to the hospital on an empty stomach ;) 
  • krash_krash_ member
    @abteamb I will also add because I was questioning it with regards to a no intervention birth, they only need to have you hooked up to the IV for 15 mins or so while they administer the antibiotics every 4 hours or so. So you will just have an IV port, not constantly connected to a line with a pole that you have to take around with you and it shouldn't inhibit any laboring in the shower/tub. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• abteambabteamb member
    @krashke ok that really helps! I thought I would be stuck to a pole the entire time! That relieves some stress. Thanks!

@doxiemoxie212 yes I've already thought about the different roads to the hospital from work and what my food options would be. The way I'll go to the hospital will depend on what I'm craving at the moment haha
  • Im totally feeling your stress.. for me my water broke first in my last 2 pregnancies before i felt a thing.. so now im terrified.. thankfully we are close to the hospital 
    Pregnancy Ticker