3rd Trimester

Small amount of red wine occasionally...

I am almost 28 weeks pregnant and I am really craving a small glass red wine. As we know there are so many mixed reviews in this. I have researched it to death really.  Anyone had bits of wine with past pregnancies and have perfect babies!!?

Re: Small amount of red wine occasionally...

• (Ignore this box, stupid phone...)
    I want to start by saying everyone is different, every pregnancy is different. What is fine for one person doesn't automatically mean it will be fine for you, too.

That being said, yes. When I had DS I enjoyed one glass every now and again. Maybe 2/month tops, more likely just 1/month though. Never more than one glass a night though. Since you're well past your first trimester, all the important things have developed. In my personal opinion, one small glass won't be an issue. Again, my personal opinion.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Loading the player...
  • nackienackie member
    I had a glass with dinner once a week or so with my now 2 year old and he’s brilliant and perfectly healthy.  My doctors were also perfectly ok with that level of alcohol. 
    I think most research says an occasional glass doesn’t cause any harm. But if it’s going to cause you more stress than enjoyment, I wouldn’t bother.  
  • izza2izza2 member
    I urge you to do your own research on this (and other pregnancy "no-no's").

Research does show that the occasional glass of wine/alcohol doesn't cause harm during pregnancy. But if you're going to stress about it afterward and worry you may have caused an issue with LO, it's not worth that stress.
    And occasional from what I've seen means up to 2 (I believe) glasses a week. And those are portioned glasses, not "fill her up" glasses.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• meggymemeggyme member
    I chose not to drink during pregnancy, not necessarily because I thought an occasional glass would hurt but because I didn’t want the responsibility of keeping track of how much or when my last glass was. I’m especially easy to talk into more wine, especially after being sober for awhile. It was easier to say no to all than no after the first glass.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I am almost 28 weeks pregnant and I am really craving a small glass red wine. As we know there are so many mixed reviews in this. I have researched it to death really.  Anyone had bits of wine with past pregnancies and have perfect babies!!?
    No amount of alcohol is safe in pregnancy. 
  • MLS6212MLS6212 member
    The technical terminology is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Meaning not all cases are as severe as what we typically think of as FAS associated with heavy drinking. Please refer to this article: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fetal-alcohol-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20352901

This post sounds like you're trying to justify drinking. If you're going to do it, don't try to find anecdotal evidence to justify your decision. Some women will tell you that they were able to drink x amount during their pregnancies and their babies were fine. Some women might admit that they drank x amount and their children had/have issues. As for my anecdotal evidence I can attest that I abstained from alcohol during both of my pregnancies. My older son is 26 months old and speaks in clear, coherent, full sentences; can count to 16; knows all of his shapes and colors; and has great motor skills. I'm 39 weeks pregnant with my younger son so the jury's still out on him, but other than food poisoning causing early contractions that had to be stopped at 32 weeks I've had a healthy pregnancy thus far. But was it the abstaining from alcohol that contributed to my older son's progress and my healthy second pregnancy? It's hard to tell. But I do know that by abstaining from alcohol for my entire pregnancies I had a 0% chance of my sons having a FASD. The risk wasn't worth it to me.
    Image result for can i interest you in a sarcastic comment
    Me: 33  DH: 34
    DS1: March 18, 2016
    DS2: due June 7, 2018
  • MLS6212 said:
    The technical terminology is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Meaning not all cases are as severe as what we typically think of as FAS associated with heavy drinking. Please refer to this article: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fetal-alcohol-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20352901

This post sounds like you're trying to justify drinking. If you're going to do it, don't try to find anecdotal evidence to justify your decision. Some women will tell you that they were able to drink x amount during their pregnancies and their babies were fine. Some women might admit that they drank x amount and their children had/have issues. As for my anecdotal evidence I can attest that I abstained from alcohol during both of my pregnancies. My older son is 26 months old and speaks in clear, coherent, full sentences; can count to 16; knows all of his shapes and colors; and has great motor skills. I'm 39 weeks pregnant with my younger son so the jury's still out on him, but other than food poisoning causing early contractions that had to be stopped at 32 weeks I've had a healthy pregnancy thus far. But was it the abstaining from alcohol that contributed to my older son's progress and my healthy second pregnancy? It's hard to tell. But I do know that by abstaining from alcohol for my entire pregnancies I had a 0% chance of my sons having a FASD. The risk wasn't worth it to me.
    Based on my anecdotal evidence, NOT drinking during pregnancy leads to a baby with a 7 month hospital stay and 11 surgeries before the age of 1.  So drink up, cupcake!
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Thank you @SpongeWorthy for pointing this out. I did everything right in my pregnancy with dd, stopped drinking from the moment we started trying, took my vitamins, and exercised. And I know my road is different but she was born with a genetic anomaly  ( developmental delayed) and a chd (vsd and ppo) with ohs before 7 months. 
  • @rklinge0 My guy has CHD as well.  Three of those hospital months were recovering from OHS.  So nice to meet another special needs Mom here  <3

But yeah.  Just because you “do everything right” doesn’t mean you won’t end up with the short end of the stick.  Can you give them the best chance to succeed?  Sure.  But most birth defects and developmental delays are no fault of the parent.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019