TTC After a Loss

May WTO

Re: May WTO

• @40momma Sorry your back on this side.

FW is here. DH is on his long flight back home. This is going down because it's going to be a loooong night for me and I already know I'm gonna need the help....
  • Loading the player...
  • @bakerstreetboys Just aweful coffee lol. Sober life over here.
  • etnyahetnyah member
    Lol @prpl11butterfly, I had three cups of coffee before 9am this morning. Not decaf! AF/WTO perks.
  • H and I talked last night about our upcoming follow up with RE next week.  I'm pretty sure that she's going to just say that everything is fine, and to keep trying.  That's not good enough though, not at 40, so we agreed that we're going to advocate for some sort of treatment, even if it means paying for IVF.  The funded wait list is just too long and I'm not sure that I'd bother with IUI, but we'll see.

Oh, and his parents will be here for eight nights, covering our entire fertile window!  ACK!

• @grebretso I keep it at 2 cups (full caf) a day max. Having coffee on the ready at work makes that hard. Plus I drive by Dunkins 2x on my lunch break. No one here drinks decaf so there's always plenty of that if I'm craving the taste (which I can usually curb by remembering how aweful the coffee is here :joy: ). I stayed up entirely too late last night considering Hs flight got delayed but BDing was successful. I have a free drink available in my Dunkins app so that's likely happening today.

@bakerstreetboys Sometimes we need to push for what we want and there is no reason they shouldn't agree considering the circumstances. I hope it isn't too difficult to convince them but I really really hope they do say everything is medically fine and there is no reason you can't succeed on your own.
  • etnyahetnyah member
    @prpl11butterfly I usually stick to two cups as well, but during AF it’s sometimes three or four... We have a bottomless coffee maker at work too so I know where you’re coming from! When I do decaf I only make it at home, since there’s no decaf at work. 

Im glad your timing was good! Fingers crossed for you!!
  • mmm coffee. I work from home so I have 2 cups of regular, 2 cups of decaf until I am a few days past ovulation then I switch to 1 cup regular, 2 cups decaf :)

I had my LH surge yesterday which was a day earlier than I expected it but I guess AF kind of showed up at a weird time of day for me so I was unsure which day to call CD1 so I may just be right on time. :) I should O today or early tomorrow I think. So hubby was surprised when I said "we're on for BD tonight!" yesterday since we BD the night before. Looks like we get 4 days in a row again. I am hoping for some morning BD over the weekend, that's always nice and relaxing.

@bakerstreetboys yes advocate for yourself for sure! Pitch a fit if they say "keep trying" - I mean how long are you supposed to do that for before you get help at 40??? 
  • @bakerstreetboys I would think RE would understand at age 40.  The rule of thumb is 6 months for our age.   There technically wasn’t anything wrong with me except for age when I went to RE. 
  • I settled for a can of Coke because it went better with my lunch (subway) then coffee. I'm not dragging as much as I thought I'd be.

@bethica yey for LH surge! I'm thinking we are gonna end up with 3 in a row this month.
  • @bethica83 Sounds like you had great timing this month!

@Mack2342 That's exactly what I though; that at 40, the rule of thumb is 6 months.  By the time we have our follow up, it will have been 11 months of trying, with 2 losses in the last 5.5 months.  I'm worried she's going to say, but you got pregnant twice in the last six months.  I had no problem at 38 when I had DS, so she also seems to think that kicks me out of the "infertility" camp.  We'll see, appointment is next Wednesday and I'm ready to stage a sit in!  I have also looked into other REs in the clinic, all of whom got better reviews, so I'm going to ask to see someone else if she won't help us.  Of course that means starting the waiting all over again.

• char245char245 member
    @bakerstreetboys I’m hopeful that your RE will be understanding, ours was! She told us that since my issue isn’t getting pregnant, it’s staying pregnant, that she recommends we skip everything else and move right to IVF. She did give us three more months to try on our own, but she would have gone straight to IVF if we had wanted. So it sounds like our situations are pretty similar so fx that your RE is also similar in her plan for you! 

@prpl11butterfly and @bethica83 yay, sounds like you both have great timing this month! 
  • @bakerstreetboys I got pregnant with DS at 39 and delivered him at 40 with no issues basically a text book pregnancy then 7 months later I got pregnant again but lost that one at 10 wks.   We kept trying on our own and went in for consult.   He had no issues treating us saying it was good we could get pregnant but we needed to find that good egg so we started medicated cycles with IUI in hopes that getting more follicles each month would give us a good one.  Turns out I was pregnant at consult and they saw me through until that one ended in loss.  We started what we planned with medicated cycles once I could try again and got pregnant about 7 months later and of course it ended as well and here we sit.  My point is they should help you and if not find another one n
  • Temp spike this morning. Pretty sure O happened yesterday late on CD12... or CD13 depending on exact timing. Pretty much right on time for me. We BD on days 10 and 11 and I guess I must have wore DH out as it just didn't work last night. Ha ha. Or the pressure is getting to his head this cycle. I am trying (sorta unsuccessfully) not to stress too much about it. We hit 2 of my 3 most fertile days.

I am waiting for BBT to stay up and confirm O date but expect to be heading into TWW on Monday.

FX to all you ladies here WTO
  • @char245 and Mack2342 Sounds like you have great REs!  I'm hoping mine has a similar way of thinking.  Mack, I remembered your story of getting pregnant and having your DS at 40, and I have kept that in the back of my mind to try and keep my hopes up!  I definitely think it's a matter of getting a good egg in my case, which is why I'm interested in PGS.  Wednesday can't come soon enough!  The good news is that the wait list for self funded IVF is way shorter than the 12-15 months for a provincially funded cycle.  I don't feel like I have much time to waste.
  • char245char245 member
    @bakerstreetboys why is there a wait list? My only experience with IVF is when my sister did it. I just always assumed that once it was determined you were going to do IVF you just moved forward. 
  • @char245 Since it's covered in Canada, a lot more people do IVF.  The procedure itself is covered (in my province anyway), and most people have either provincial insurance or private insurance that covers the drugs.  I'm in a major city, but there's only one fertility clinic here, so there are a lot of patients!  They can only see so many people at a time for egg retrieval, etc, so everyone gets wait listed.  They hold separate places for people who are paying out of pocket though, which we're willing to do.  
  • char245char245 member
    @bakerstreetboys wow that’s very interesting! I had no idea it was covered in Canada. That’s great! But I guess also hard since it’s creates a wait. Always so fascinating learning about others countries. 
  • I am never going to know if/when O happens. I am so congested I sleep with my mouth open all night. This is really irritating. 

@bakerstreetboys can you do self funded and then get reimbursed? 
  • edited May 2018
    @prpl11butterfly No, unfortunately not!  There's a certain amount for IVF every fiscal year, so they use the waiting list, and once the money is gone, that's it for the year.  My drugs would still be covered though, so that's a few thousand dollars.  There are rules and stipulations of course, but it's better than nothing.  I think Quebec has better funding than Ontario, but it's a start at least.  My insurance company through work is reviewing the policy on IVF (and has been since 2016!), so at some point they may cover it too.  Unfortunately I can't wait that long!  I think IUI is covered through our provincial health insurance for everyone too, with unlimited tries.

That sounds super frustrating, I hope you O soon!
  • @prpl11butterfly ugg that is frustrating. Are you using OPKs?
  • @bethica83 I am. I was expecting a positive today as I generally O on CD17 (tomorrow). Nada. I'm blaming everything on this damn cold. Totally lame because I feel perfectly fine aside from the congestion. I am noticing more Ewcm and my cervix is open today so maybe tomorrow will be positive. CD 19 is the latest O has ever been so maybe.
  • @prpl11butterfly so interesting ... I ovulate between day 12 and 15 usually. It always is interesting to see the human variation! Hopefully your body decides to get the show on the road even with this cold!

@bakerstreetboys always interesting to see how healthcare works for my neighbors to the north!
  • Finally + opk!
  • Yeah for positive OPK @prpl11butterfly
  • Fingers crossed for you @prpl11butterfly
  • US this morning showed 6 follicles but he said only 3 or 4 will be mature enough.  IUI scheduled for Sunday.   We were supposed to leave for MI for long wkd on Saturday but now we aren’t leaving until Sunday after procedure 
  • FX for you @Mack2342!

AFM. 90% certain O was yesterday so I'm moving over to THE. Again.
  • char245char245 member
    @Mack2342 six follicles sounds great! Keeping everything crossed for you!
  • So we are moving right to IVF  :open_mouth: I thought we were going to have to push, but she offered us the choice of continuing to try naturally, IUI, or IVF. The chance of success for me is higher with IVF, so we’re going for it. I’ll get AMH testing done tomorrow and we have an appointment to sign consent forms next week. It will be a while to get things moving after that, but I’m excited. And terrified. New things to obsess over on Google now!
  • @bakerstreetboys and here you thought they would offer nothing.  My RE offered all options as well.  I think that’s a good sign of a good dr 
  • @bakerstreetboys so glad to hear they are letting you set your own course! I really hope that this is the last step you need to take and that your take home baby is right around the corner!
  • Thanks!  I was shocked because she just rushed us through on our consult, and said we didn’t fit the definition of “infertility” so just keep trying. She had a completely different disposition today. I had read online that she likes good stats and anything that she can charge for, but whatever, I’ll take it!
  • char245char245 member
    @bakerstreetboys oh I’m so glad she gave you options! So nice to have a plan and feel like you’re moving forward! 
  • Kath525Kath525 member
    CD 1 ya'll. Haven't ovulated the last 3 cycles and last cycle was super crazy (lotttttts of spotting and only 23 days long) but I'm hopeful that clomid will do something this cycle. Come on body, let's get in gear.

@Mack2342 FX! Go follicles, go!
    @bakerstreetboys so glad your appointment went well! Any idea when that process is starting?
  • @Kath525 Fx that Clomid is your golden ticket!

Thanks!  It will still probably take a couple of months once the consent forms are signed, but we'll keep trying in the meantime.  I'm just happy to have a plan!  I should get my AHM results back tomorrow, so that will add some important info too.  She said that she wouldn't suggest PGS for us, which surprised me.  I'll have to ask more about that....

• etnyahetnyah member
    edited May 2018
    Sounds promising, @Mack2342! Fingers crossed for you!

@bakerstreetboys, I’m so excited for you! Even if it’s a few months away it’s awesome to have an actual plan. I hope it works out!

Ugh @Kath525, I’m sorry it’s been so long without O. Hopefully this is your clean slate!
  • Kath525Kath525 member
    Officially started clomid today! My hopes are wayyyyyy high (for the first time in a longgggg time) and I'm trying to reign them in! Can i SS at CD 3? Haha