Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Help..

Hey ladies! It has been about maybe 3 weeks since I got my BFP. Totally not expected, we were not trying but were not preventing. I am a nursing student and a mom to an almost 2 year old and I work, so its pretty busy! My initial hcg was low, but gradually started going up. They were as followed: 
24, 44, 197, 350, 338, 344

When they drew my blood and found out it went up to 197, my progesterone was 5.2. I asked for i jections or meds to raise it, but was denied. I have had 4 doctors deny me because there was no indication it is needed. When it dropped from 350 to 338 I was told to prepare for miscarriage. I was sad, I did my crying, and started accepting it. Friday i started spotting brown. It gradually increased and I was told to go in. I did, they drew hcgs, which have gone slowly up, a urinalysis that showed I was dehydrated, and an ultrasound, which didnt show a baby, but didnt show an ectopic or that I was miscarrying either. I am so lost!!! Like what is going on? Has anyone ever heard of this? I have spent countless hours on google, but none really matched my situation. Any advice would be good... The bleeding has been bright red/dark red, minimal cramping, blood clots small and breakable, and no tissue passed.

Re: Help..

• Options
    I am really sorry for you loss.

With how low your HCG levels were, most likely there was never enough development to see in an ultrasound or as you passed it.

As to progesterone, there is a lot of research showing it does nothing to stop an imprbdimp miscarriage.  It is still used when the mother has a known issue, but if during a pregnancy, progesterone is low, it is usually not given.  Plus, with the changes that have been made in the past few years, I do not think 5.2 is considered low anymore.  
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. 

I've had several of those types of symptoms with multiple pregnancies the last few years, and for the most part, they were considered ectopic, even when not seen on ultrasound because of the condition of my tubes. 

Not saying that's what is going on here, necessarily, but it can't be ruled out even with ultrasound. 

That aside, the numbers do indicate an abnormal pregnancy, which could be because of any number of things (personally, based on what you are describing, my money is on an implantation issue specific to this pregnancy). An ultrasound would not be able to diagnose miscarriage at this phase; your hcg beta quanta is sufficient for diagnosis (high enough to indicate pregnancy, low enough to indicate that fetal growth would likely be undectable).

It is very likely in this case that without a history of low progesterone or recurrent loss,  treatment with progesterone would not have helped; more often than not, low progesterone is a symptom of miscarriage and not the cause of it. 

The positive aspect of this type of lost (I know that sounds really awful, but it is something) is that miscarrying that early will let you get back to a normal cycle quickly and is unlikely to cause any long term damage (rupture, scarring, etc) that would inhibit future pregnancies. 

In your situation, normal protocol is letting it pass without intervention, and follow you blood work until you have an hcg beta quant of zero. 

Again, sorry your having to go through it; miscarriage at any stage sucks pretty hard. I hope you feel better soon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ah, forgot to add that if the hcg doesn't go down on it's own, the treatment will likely be methatrexate if your liver function is good. Without knowing where the pregnancy actually is, it would be a better option than a d&c. Regardless, that would generally only be if you hcg starts riding abnormally again, or hovers at the same level.
  • Options
    becassidybecassidy member
    edited May 2018
    The positive aspect of this type of lost (I know that sounds really awful, but it is something) is that miscarrying that early will let you get back to a normal cycle quickly and is unlikely to cause any long term damage (rupture, scarring, etc) that would inhibit future pregnancies. 
    First, I am so sorry you are having this experience. I had my ultrasound Tuesday, which showed a 5-6 week gestational sac I am preparing to pass (I would have been 8 weeks yesterday). My beta levels were 24 Tuesday, and 13 yesterday, so my dr wants me to pass this naturally and she has also said what kathrenne mentioned that because the pregnancy was so early, she believes I will return to a normal cycle in the next couple weeks, and may not pass my sac until my period begins.
    Going through this, I am finding what kathrenne said in line with my Dr as the only bright side, and I am holding on strong to it. 

Best of luck <3