July 2018 Moms

STM+ Check In, 4/30

2»

Re: STM+ Check In, 4/30

• gingerbride26gingerbride26 member
    edited April 2018
    @runsomewhere that is horrible - I hate it when workers are disrespectful of the areas they are not working on.  Can you complain to the company and get some money off towards cleaning the rug?  As for Tula - I went to a local natural/babycarrying shop that had models to try on and a knowledgeable person to answer questions and found that amazingly helpful.  They also had weighted baby dolls to help gauge what was more comfortable.  We have a Tula but didn't start using it really until 9-12 month visit to Disney.  At almost 2 she rides on dad's back when we travel and likes it.  He uses it more than I do.

@acunamatada that makes so much sense! cool insight. @zande2016 I don't think DD was really stringing things together consistently at 18 mo either - it all came in one big leap with a bunch of new words like 2 months ago - it was amazing.

@limoncat oh no! i'm honestly not sure what the perfect distance is... mine is 45 min away - so we see them multiple times a week and until recently she watched DD at our house every Monday (mixed bag - it did have set mimi/grandkid time and kept the camp outs to a minimum) but usually it's only for a couple hours, not weeks/weekends!! Good for you for putting your foot down!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am also so tired these days! Back to falling asleep on teh couch at 7. I did bath time last night even though it was DH's turn so he could watch the Caps win (woohoo!), so when I fell asleep he did bedtime. Sidenote-anyone read "The Book With No Pictures" to their kid. So funny. DS genuinely belly laughs the whole time.

@wildtot I have heard half the kids age for time out time, so, I round up for DS being 3 and do 1.5 minutes. However, if he's a hot mess it always lasts until he calms down, like you said, and sits quietly. Often 1.5 minutes is not enough time to calm down for him.

@gingerbride26 we do the count to three thing to and he gets a time out if he doesn't listen. I also randomly tried the choices today, instead of telling him what to do, and it worked nicely! It seemed like if he got to CHOOSE the activity, he was more likely to do it and be ok with it. 

@owl_momma @zande2016 I really can't wait to be a hockey mom, although I might eat my words after a season. I played softball and it was a pretty full schedule (although not travel) and I am excited to do that with kids. 

@MichelleAG05 I definitely rolled my eyes at Daniel Tiger at first but I sing the songs to DS all the time when we are doing something that they covered in a show and he often repeats the song to remind himself how to act. 

@gingerbride26 I second the don't do it til you have to on the toddler bed, HOWEVER totally understand the cost. Someone gifted us a second crib, but we kept DS in til 2.5 becasue he never climbed out. I only pulled the trigger because I thought he should be out by 3 and that's about when baby would be here, so we did it early. Anyway, it wasn't nearly as bad as we thought it would be. At first we kept toys and books in and he did his share of playing but then it got noisy so we took EVERYTHING out but stuffed animals. He doesn't even try and open the door in teh morning when he gets up he just lets us know he's ready. We do lock the door from the outside until he's asleep, which is probably why he doesn't try to open the door. 
  • Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? What size is baby? - 29w and changes; size of Gizmo

Age(s) of other kid(s)? - 19m old x2

How are you feeling??? - pretty good...my back hurts and it’s getting tough to haul around almost 60lb of toddler every day. 

Rants/Raves - six more shifts at work! Maybe less since my mom is having her hip replaced tomorrow and my ILs are leaving for Florida Sunday (my childcare options) so I might be “sick”. 

Questions? - nope!

GTKY: What sport or extracurricular activity do you hope your children play/Do they already play? - probably hockey and lacrosse. I also hope they get their dads musical talents!
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @MichelleAG05 my 4yo sings Daniel Tiger songs out loud when she needs them lol! I have also used them as reminders of what behaviors we want, and especially "it's almost time to go so choose one more thing to do...that was fun but now it's done", and "try to do it yourself and you'll feel proud!" There is an app with all the phrases for whatever situation you need!

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • @flockofmoosen3 a common one for DS to sing out loud is " Friends help each other yes they do, its true." or "You gotta try new food cuz it might taste good" lol
  • @flockofmoosen3 - what is the app name?  She's only seen a few episodes so far, so I'm not sure how much it would really help us yet but sounds like something I need to book mark!
  • @gingerbride26 yeah we are having the company pay for the cleaning. I know shit happens but I'm super annoyed about another thing being added to my list. Oh well, at least I'll have freshly cleaned carpets.

I'm going to swing by buy buy baby and try on some carriers. I wish they had the weighted bay dolls, that's a great idea! Is there a reason you didn't use the Tula till 9 months? I need something I can use starting at birth so I can be hands free while out and about with DD. We also use the Ergo occasionally as a hiking back carrier with DD.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere we just didn't buy it until that trip.  I had a chicco when she was first born but was terrified to bend/squat... did a bunch of moby wearing around the house but never got good enough at it to do it fast in public... We had a hand-me-down infantino that I really liked for the disney trip at 5 months...but the clasp broke on the flight home :'( so when we went again at 9 months that's when I bought the new one and got the Tula after a bunch of recommendations and trying it on.  It has now been to disney 2x as well as IKEA and some festivals etc.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • am i the only one that doesn't really remember what contractions feel like? how do you forget something like that? It was only 2 years ago... I know *in theory* what BH and "real" contractions feel like with the tightening blah blah, but I still play that "kick or contraction?" game (my kids tend to do more "baby yoga" pushes than quick jabs/kicks). For the last day the belly feels sore and almost bruised from the inside-out at times.  I keep joking we should name him Bruce because he's hulking out but per usual now I'm doubting myself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @gingerbride26 I don't remember and my DD is 2.5. I have no idea if I'd recognize a contraction now. However with DD I never had a braxton hicks and I felt absolutely nothing till I was on pitocin for 12+ hours and had the OB break my water so I have no idea how normal contractions feel or should start. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @gingerbride26 I’m confused by BH vs movement sometimes too, I have to feel around my belly to see if it’s actually tightening up. Other times I get an anxious feeling with a BH, almost like I’m losing my breath. I don’t remember the pain of labor either really, just that it WAS painful. 
  • I also feel short of breath when I get BH, I never knew that was an actual thing, I thought maybe I was just imagining it. Wonder why that is! 
  • wildtotwildtot member
    Yup i get out of breath with each BH. Happened with DS too. 
  • Even in early labor the only indication I had that I was contracting was that I felt very uncomfortable and had a strong urge to get up and move around.  Otherwise I really couldn't tell when I was having BH or contractions!
  • Is everyone having BH by now? I don't think I've had a single one, ever, with either pregnancy. Maybe my body doesn't know what to do and I'll get induced again?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • amdftwamdftw member
    @runsomewhere I don't think I've ever had a BH ever either, with this pregnancy or my first.  I was induced with my first.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yea my last experience was def not norm.  I had real contractions for a month before labor that put me in L&D a few times; would get to 5/1/1 mark then just stop - then active labor was only 3 hours and i slept through 2 of them.  I think I've had a couple BH so far this time, but really only on bad walking/water days - I know their BH and not "real" because shifting position and more water makes it go away.  I'm 99% sure these last few days are annoying kicks.  They're too quick to be contractions - all to right above pubic bone and that thrumming cervix discomfort - almost like after sex/O. Just wish he'd spread the smashing around because that same spot is starting to get really tender.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • +1 for feeling short of breath during BH. Also with my first pregnancy, I had no BH, second pregnancy not til the end, and this pregnancy from 16 weeks on. 

I have only ever been induced and my contractions started the same way...like period cramps and then got timeable and then got worse. When I was preggo the second time I said the same thing, that I couldn't remember what it was like, and I didn't remember until DH reminded me when I complained about not feeling well the morning after induction started that I had said the EXACT thing the last time. So now I am guessing my contractions will start out as timeable, consistent period cramps. But ditto to not remembering the second time around.

• @gingerbride26 I don’t really remember either. I think it’s biological.  Our minds block it out so we’re willing to do it all again.  Cause you know, otherwise the species would die out  ;)
  • It is 100% nature’s way of making sure we keep reproducing. my mom had 4 kids and could never describe what it feels like. I can’t remember either. I honestly have no recollection of what it felt like to push either. I mean I remember it being hard and being exhausted, but when I try to think back on it, I have no idea how it physically felt. 
  • How far along are you? What size is baby? 
    29, almost 30. Acorn squash

Age(s) of other kid(s)?
    DD is 17 months

How are you feeling??? 
    Ok. Tired. Heartburn, normal aches and pains.

Rants/Raves
    I have been waking up at night to pee, which is annoying. It is just reminding me of getting no sleep with a newborn. Dreading that. I am nervous about the concept of having two kids under 2 while in that zombie state. I feel like everything is a lot easier to handle with some sleep. Although, I am intimidated about the concept of having two kids in general!

Questions?
    Do you have any favorite advice that helped you with the transition from one to two kids? How about having a boy versus a girl?

GTKY: What sport or extracurricular activity do you hope your children play/Do they already play?
    I want them to follow their interests. Selfishly, I hope they do not choose sports with zillions of games and practices. I have never been a sports fan. My parents love football, so I had to attend/watch more than my life's quota of games growing up. I literally would lay on the bleachers with a book. I do not think that would go over very well at one of my kids' games, lol! I will be supportive though.

@stlmegs I totally agree with doing one activity at a time! Kids need time to be kids without being pulled in ten different directions.

@runsomewhere I do not know about the Tula, but I love my Lille baby. You can use it from birth. I like that it does not require a newborn insert.
  • zg49zg49 member
    How far along are you? What size is baby? 
    28 weeks + a few days. Eggplant!

Age(s) of other kid(s)?
    DD is almost 4 (in 3 weeks!) and DS is 2.

How are you feeling??? 
    This week I'm tired. Kids got another cold so they aren't sleeping great and making this momma worried. 

Rants/Raves
    I feel huge, and I know we all do at some point but I literally can't remember feeling this big with so many weeks to go still. I don't know where more baby is going to fit lol.  I finally have my constipation issue figured out but I'm still having issues down there from having been constipated for so long. 

Questions?
    Not really.

GTKY: What sport or extracurricular activity do you hope your children play/Do they already play?
    I hope they just find something they enjoy! DH and I met in Jr. High in band and that was such a fun time for us. We really enjoy watching sports so if they are sportier than we were and join a team I'd be pretty excited! Football scares me though with concussions and broken legs and Hockey (while HUGE in our town) is my least favorite because it is expensive and these kids that play are so busy and travel everywhere every weekend and I selfishly do not want to do that. 

If I had to pick one, I hope they both join a music activity; band, orchestra, or choir.