Baby Names

Boy Name Help!

We are having a hard time choosing a boy name.  Let me be honest in that we did not choose my daughters name until I started pushing.  Although we had it narrowed down to two names.  We still have plenty of time but I am having such a hard time with boy names. 

I prefer classic names that are not too common.  The middle names is going to be Christopher and the last name starts with an S, is two syllables and sounds like Civic or Smittick.

Some names we are interested in are:

Benjamin
Henry
Edward - DH loves it but Im not feeling it
Harrison - my favorite but DH doesn't like it
William - we both like this name but not any of the variations of this name so it is likely out (dislike Will, Bill, Willy, Billy)

I would love to hear your ideas or suggestions!  Also my daughters name is Eleanor but I am not too worried about the names matching. Thanks!

Re: Boy Name Help!

• Henry is my all time favorite boy name, and it sounds great with Christopher.
  • Henry Christopher goes great and matches well with Eleanor

I’d say Edward best fits your description of classic but not common. I’m not a fan of siblings matching initials though.  

I love Benjamin in general but it’s more common.

I like William and Will but if you dislike all the nicknames I wouldn’t use it. 

I don’t like Harrison. 

Suggesting 

Samuel
    Frederick 
    Thomas

• Loading the player...
  • drb2424drb2424 member
    edited April 2018
     Thanks I love it too! I will say Henry Christopher is my front runner but my DH needs a little more convincing.

I really like Samuel but Im not sure how I feel about the double S. 

I agree I am not a fan of the matching initials.

I forgot to add I like the name Franklin but DH says no :D
  • I've also heard Liam as a nickname for William if you haven't considered that one.  I really like all your names though, really can't go wrong.
  • Edward is by far my favorite. Classic but underused. I like the similar Edmund

Benjamin would be second because I like Benji

Im over Henry, William and Harrison

Suggesting

Samuel
    Patrick
    Andrew
    Thomas
    Michael
    Nicholas
    Matthew

• Harrison is my favorite from your list, but William and Henry are both solid choices. I think if you consistently call him William and correct people a few times that they would catch on that you aren't into shortening it. 
  • @casadena Liam is the only nick name I like for William but DH doesn't like it at all :/

@bbiutmcph we have Matthew and Andrew on the list but aren't sold on either yet. I do like them both though. The rest we have family members with all those names and we are trying to avoid family names with the same first name.  I really like James but my husbands uncle is James Christopher same last name so we wont be using that. I like the suggestion of Edmund, I will share with DH tonight.

@nerdtoyourmother thanks I love Harrison too but DH doesn't. Maybe I can use it more and try to win him over :D

• Totally biased towards William Christopher because if we have a son that’s what he will be named. My favorite names are William, Will or Liam. NAF of Willy, Billy or Bill.

My daughters name is Savannah and i always use her full name, not a nickname. So i wouldn’t let that deter you from a name you love.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Andrew Christopher 
    Byron Christopher 
    Daniel Christopher 
    George Christopher 
    Gerald Christopher 
    Grant Christopher 
    Harold Christopher 
    Jacob Christopher 
    Jefferson Christopher 
    Joseph Christopher
    Leo Christopher
    Lincoln Christopher 
    Raymond Christopher 
    Reuben Christopher 
    Richard Christopher 
    Simon Christopher 
    Stephen Christopher 
    Wyatt Christopher 
    Zachary Christopher

• I agree with @laurenm2123. My daughters both have long full names, Alexandria and Victoria. Alexandria became Alex only around the house because Victoria couldn't say Alexandria when she was younger, but everywhere else she is addressed as Alexandria, especially at preschool. Victoria is just referred to as Victoria as I hate all of the nicknames associated with her name. If she chooses one when she is older then we can go with it. 
  • Steven Christopher
    Marcus Christopher
    Gregory Christopher
    Timothy Christopher
    Jeffrey Christopher
    Curtis Christopher
    Douglas Christopher
    Michael Christopher
    Mitchell Christopher
  • Edward is by far the best . The other are all way too popular/common as you said you want something not common.

Simon
    Adrian
    Darcy
    Jonah
    Mickey
    Sullivan
    Jasper
    Casey
  • @saham07 and @JMU_bride09 thanks! I sent these all to hubby for us to brain storm. 
  • I really like your options of Henry and Edward

Adding:
    Andrew
    Bennett
    Calvin
    Duncan
    Gavin
    Miles
    Samuel
    Simon
    Theodore
  • Sad to say Henry is out :( Hubby and my dad were talking and my dad hates the name Henry and my hubs admitted he doesn't like it either.  I was kinda crushed all weekend but I know we will find something we both love and can agree on.  At least that is what I am telling myself.

@briide2be2008 thanks for the additions! Andrew is on my list.  I like Simon but that is my nephews name and hubby wants to avoid S names.  I also like Theodore but paired with Eleanor its too much like the Roosevelt's for me.
  • Is Christopher out for the first name? I really like it!
    Suggesting:
    John
    Conrad
    Miles
    Edison
    Dean
    Dino
    Isaac
    Nicholas
    Bruce
    Nolan
    Nigel
    Kyle
    Stuart
    Benjamin
    Alec
    Joseph
  • @drb2424  OMG I did not think of the Roosevelts... good catch! And good luck!
  • drb2424drb2424 member
    @saham07 Christopher will still be the middle name as its a family middl ename on my husbands side. Benjamin and Joseph are on our short list!

@briide2be2008 hubby mentioned it and I was like "oh yea...we cant do that" :D
  • I think it's perfectly acceptable for a boy to be named William and not go by any of the nicknames that are commonly used for it.

If you consistently refer to him as William, people will pick up on that cue.  If people take the liberty of calling him "Billy" or "Will," you can just set an example for him early on to politely say "oh, he doesn't use that nickname -- he just goes by William."

I have a name that has a much more common diminutive nickname -- that I NEVER use.  I just gently correct people, and they deal with it, and it's fine.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My brother is a Samuel, and no one calls him Sam because my parents were really specific about it being Samuel and as he got older so was he. Maybe It could be the same for William.