Parenting

12 month old hit head twice in a month. Laminent and Tile flooring.

Hi all,

So my 12 month old fell off the bed and hit her forehead on the laminent floor (think wood flooring but fake for those not aware).

about 1 month later (yesterday) she fell down 3 steps and hit her forehead on a damn TILE floor (same spot on her head where she bumped it falling off the bed).

Both times left quite the bruise/bump on her head.  I spoke to my sister who is a nurse and she told me what symptoms to watch out for (vomiting, enlarged pupils, lack of balance, acting "different", long bouts of crying etc.) and thankfully none of those things happened.

Before anyone says I am a bad father, please note that I have done my best to be a good parent but "new" things seem to pop up and as a result my 12 month old has now hit her forehead twice in a month.

However I am still worried, and most of all completely UPSET at myself for having this happen.

I did not take her to the ER because she was acting quite normal.  Also her pediatrician is not available until this coming Monday......

Please give me some input.  Give me hell, or give me advice - I am here to listen and become a better parent.

Re: 12 month old hit head twice in a month. Laminent and Tile flooring.

• If she doesn’t have any concussion symptoms she’s probably ok. If you were that worried, why didn’t you call the pediatrician yesterday when it happened?  Does your pediatrician have an after hours number you could call over the weekend?  
    I wouldn't beat yourself up too much for this. Kids fall hard when they’re just learning to walk. (But maybe keep her off the bed for a while)
    My son hit his head really hard when he was just a little older than your DD.  Left a huge goose egg in the middle of his forehead.  Later that night he spiked a fever and started vomiting. They had us go in to the ER after we told them about the fall, but it turned out his head was fine and he just had a stomach bug. 
  • goldss said:
    Hi all,

So my 12 month old fell off the bed and hit her forehead on the laminent floor (think wood flooring but fake for those not aware).

about 1 month later (yesterday) she fell down 3 steps and hit her forehead on a damn TILE floor (same spot on her head where she bumped it falling off the bed).

Both times left quite the bruise/bump on her head.  I spoke to my sister who is a nurse and she told me what symptoms to watch out for (vomiting, enlarged pupils, lack of balance, acting "different", long bouts of crying etc.) and thankfully none of those things happened.

Before anyone says I am a bad father, please note that I have done my best to be a good parent but "new" things seem to pop up and as a result my 12 month old has now hit her forehead twice in a month.

However I am still worried, and most of all completely UPSET at myself for having this happen.

I did not take her to the ER because she was acting quite normal.  Also her pediatrician is not available until this coming Monday......

Please give me some input.  Give me hell, or give me advice - I am here to listen and become a better parent.

@goldss you might want to find yourself a nurse’s phone line or a different doctor that is more available. I believe this is the third time you’ve come here asking for medical advice and we are simply not doctors. Even if someone was, it would be unethical to provide you medical advice.

At this age kids do fall and get hurt a lot, so you either have to learn to really trust your instincts (and advice given to you by a nurse) or find a more responsive doctor. It might be time for some better baby proofing too. You are going to worry yourself to death otherwise.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys.

I have tried to baby proof the house as best as possible. 

As of today my daughter seems fine thank goodness.  As stated in the original post, she did NOT have any symptoms that would indicate concussion or fracture or anything of that nature.  However for safety, I have an appointment with the Pediatrician.

I understand doctor advice cannot be given on a message board, however this is a "community" and just hearing advice can help too.
  • goldssgoldss member
    Hey guys!

So baby is doing great and lessons learned for everyone involved.  

Its been 4 weeks since her fall and when I touch her forehead where the bump was I can still feel a smaller bump and it's hard like bone.  

Will bone bumps like this subside after more time?

Also I notice that her skin folds slightly where the bump is whenever she lifts her eyebrow.......prior to the fall she didn't have any skin folding on the forehead.

I assume it's because of the bump still being there.

Once again...I know this does not substitute for a doctor however I like that we can discuss matters with fellow parents.

Thanks all