August 2018 Moms

The Great Big Glucose Tolerance Test Thread

2»

Re: The Great Big Glucose Tolerance Test Thread

• :shrug: I don’t see a problem with starting a conversation with your care provider about alternatives that work the exact same way if it’s your preference. I’ve anecdotally heard of plenty of moms given an option to drink glucola or juice (as I was). Wanting to skip it or do something random instead is different. We are all our own best advocates and I’m not sure why asking would be a problem. Maybe you will bring up an alternative your care provider hadn’t really considered before. Maybe they have reasons to prefer you stick with the standard drink. A conversation won’t hurt though.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• My doctor makes me go to a lab to drink it. I'll have to drink it at the lab then sit at the lab until it's blood draw time. I'm jealous of ladies who get to drink it at home or during a regular appt at the doctor office!
  • Loading the player...
  • pghctwife said:
    :shrug: I don’t see a problem with starting a conversation with your care provider about alternatives that work the exact same way if it’s your preference. I’ve anecdotally heard of plenty of moms given an option to drink glucola or juice (as I was). Wanting to skip it or do something random instead is different. We are all our own best advocates and I’m not sure why asking would be a problem. Maybe you will bring up an alternative your care provider hadn’t really considered before. Maybe they have reasons to prefer you stick with the standard drink. A conversation won’t hurt though.
    But she already said her doctor doesn’t allow alternatives so clearly her OB feels this is the best route for her. Unless shes looking for another doctor I don’t see the point. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Yeah... still don’t see an issue with a pregnant woman discussing her care options with her dr or midwife. From what I am reading shes talking about a conversation that she wants to have, and is gathering information to bring. Really really don’t see the problem. 

If I had a conversation with my midwife and there was something I still wasn’t 100% comfortable with I’d certainly have no problems revisiting the subject. As I said, if nothing else, maybe s/he will be able to explain the reasons they prefer not to allow juice. There’s no reason why pregnant women can’t be advocates for our care and bring up questions like this with our providers.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• I didn't find the drink awful. The waiting around for the blood draw waa the worst part!
  • @delujm0 Dang pregnancy cravings! I really want cinnabun now!
  • @calimom2524 that's sort of ridiculous for you to respond. Yeah I understand candy is candy regardless but I never said I gorge myself in it and am being a hypocrite about it. I don't understand why it's so hard to get a simple answer on this so that if there is something with less junk in it, I can bring it to my doctor's attention. I can't be the first person to ask this.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    IVF baby girl born 7/2018  <3
    TTC 2013. FET 11/17 - BFP after attempt #6!

• hoff079 said:
    @calimom2524 that's sort of ridiculous for you to respond. Yeah I understand candy is candy regardless but I never said I gorge myself in it and am being a hypocrite about it. I don't understand why it's so hard to get a simple answer on this so that if there is something with less junk in it, I can bring it to my doctor's attention. I can't be the first person to ask this.
    Yeah not once did I say you gorge candy. I was responding to your comment that "if you do" purchase candy you get it from Sprouts or Whole Foods, implying that makes it healthier or something. 

• ecwkecwk member
    hoff079 said:
    Has anyone's doctor offered up an alternative to the Glucola drink?  I do not want to drink it based on the ingredients (brominated vegetable oil?! food coloring?! BHA?!) it's ridiculous.  I try to eat healthy and feel like the crap in here is counter-intuitive to  what health care professionals recommend you put in your body.  I was at the doc today (25 weeks) and she said they do not offer an alternative to the drink - only a week of finger pricking 4x per day.  I've read in the past some people are offered to drink apple juice, jelly beans, etc.  
    What alternatives are your doctors offering?
    What do you want here? So someone says they were offered an alternative, big deal. You’ve read it before, what difference does it make whether or not you read it here again. If your doctor doesn’t offer it and you’re not ok with that then find another doctor. 

hoff079 said:
    @calimom2524 that's sort of ridiculous for you to respond. Yeah I understand candy is candy regardless but I never said I gorge myself in it and am being a hypocrite about it. I don't understand why it's so hard to get a simple answer on this so that if there is something with less junk in it, I can bring it to my doctor's attention. I can't be the first person to ask this.
    Also, try this:

https://bfy.tw/HnWC

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So...back to the real reason for this thread. 

I’m at my 24w appt right now and they just gave me the instructions for my test. It’s a 2 hour test! I have to fast for 8 hours beforehand, they take your fasting blood, then blood again an hour after your drink, then blood again after the second hour. Wtaf?! I’ve only ever had a one hour in my last two pregnancies. This sounds terrible. 

• @calimom2524 Why is it different this time?  My Dr hasn't mentioned anything yet...
  • @calimom2524 Why is it different this time?  My Dr hasn't mentioned anything yet...
    Well I’m in a different state with a different OB. I asked the nurse and she just said that’s how they do it here. I’m waiting on the OB now but I’m definitely going to ask. It seems really intense for every single person, especially since i don’t have a history of GD. However I do know each pregnancy is different so it is possible to have it this time. 

• Ok so to follow up: she said they’ve had lots of studies done that found the one hour is excluding too many people so they now do the two hour as the standard. I suppose I can live with that, it is what’s best for me and baby girl! I’ll be armed with Hulu and AirPods. 

• @calimom2524. Fasting sounds like torture! 
  • @doctormom33 is it maybe because more people fail the one hour but pass the three, so they aren’t having to give so many extra appointments that may not be necessary?
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• When I had the test with my first kid, I loved it. I don't drink pop when I'm pregnant so this was super exciting to me (flat, funny tasting 7up, woo hoo). Doesn't take much to make me happy. The best part was that the sugar made him super active so we had a fun hour together with him moving all over the place. I'll have my test for this baby in a few weeks. My mom comes along with me to keep me company (if it's not an important appointment my husband stays at work). The only bad part about the entire test was the sugar crash after. I was pretty tired after a few hours and still had to finish the workday. 
  • I had my test today I had to fast after 12:00 pm I drank it 45 minutes before my appt, at home. I had one minute to drink the entire thing but it took me about a minute and a half.  The drink isn’t bad, it is the aftermath. I felt like crap and just really wanted to drink water, but couldn’t until after my draw. The good thing is I only had to wait 15 min at the office before my blood draw. I waited more time to see the doctor for him to tell me seee you in four weeks. 
  • I was diagnosed with GD on Monday :(. Is there a separate thread for that?  Couldn’t find one. 
  • @Stac928 thank you for being the only one to show me another option that your doctor offered. This is what I was looking for and no reason for everyone to get snotty. If you have a chance can you tell me the brand so I can ask my doctor about it?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    IVF baby girl born 7/2018  <3
    TTC 2013. FET 11/17 - BFP after attempt #6!

• I was diagnosed with GD on Monday :(. Is there a separate thread for that?  Couldn’t find one. 
    No but feel free to start one. How long did it take to get your results? 
  • @hoff079 sorry for the delay

here’s a pic of the front of the bottle. I honestly can’t discern a brand from it. Not labeled well. The side pic lists incredients and a manufacturer.  Hope this helps 
    Me: 39  DH: 30
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:
    BFP #1 2/26/17, MMC 5/2/17
    BFP #2 10/10/17, MC 11/4/17
    BFP #3 12/17/17 Birth 8/13/18
    BFP #4 4/21/19 Birth 12/5/2019

I'm sorry, that's never the result you want to hear. Has your doctor discussed a plan of action with you moving forward? If you'd like, we have the high-risk check in every week and there are several of us there that have either been diagnosed with preexisting diabetes or gestational diabetes. Lots of info gets swapped about managing blood sugars and fun stuff like that. Or we can start a weekly check in for those that have gestational diabetes specifically? Whatever makes you feel comfortable. Whatever we do for the board, just know that you're not alone :) There's a lot of support here.

Also if you could please intro in the Introductions thread so we can get to know you a bit!
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • hoff079 said:
    @Stac928 thank you for being the only one to show me another option that your doctor offered. This is what I was looking for and no reason for everyone to get snotty. If you have a chance can you tell me the brand so I can ask my doctor about it?
    This is a gross overstatement. No one was snotty. You talking to your doctor about alternatives that they have already said no to will get you nowhere, unless its a note in your file. 

We got a bit defensive as you haven't really participated in this community. We know and recognize people when we are this far along. We have formed friendships and strong bonds over similar situations.  You haven't been around here much, and could have googled your original questions. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• hoff079 said:
    @Stac928 thank you for being the only one to show me another option that your doctor offered. This is what I was looking for and no reason for everyone to get snotty. If you have a chance can you tell me the brand so I can ask my doctor about it?
    Yeah...who even are you? The only person being snotty here is you. 

• ecwkecwk member
    hoff079 said:
    I don't think you know what this word means. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lalala2004 unless she meant we were being "superior or conceited"? But I don't buy my sugar from Sprouts or Whole Foods, so what do I know? :unamused:
     :D  :D:D  This made my day.

• The app says I can’t love tit today. But I do, I love all this <3
  • ecwkecwk member
    @lalala2004 unless she meant we were being "superior or conceited"? But I don't buy my sugar from Sprouts or Whole Foods, so what do I know? :unamused:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lol
    love the memes
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My immediate reaction to seeing 16 new posts on this thread:

You ladies did not disappoint.