October 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

I polled the FTMs...a few wanted diaper bag recommendations.

What diaper bag do you prefer?
Any to avoid?
Is there a certain style you prefer?

What do you tend to carry in your bag?

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

• I don't have any particular brand suggestions but I have had a different diaper bag with each child so far - my first I got the fancy Coach diaper bag because fancy bags were my thing pre-kids. It got trashed by the time I was done with it so I wouldn't ever spend that much money on a diaper bag again!

I love the backpack style bags - they make life so much easier when carrying baby/carseat/gear/etc. and DH doesn't mind carrying it either. I also learned the more neutral pattern I choose - the more likely DH is to wear/hold it without complaining! I just got a really nice new backpack style one off Amazon for less than $40 and it appears to be decent quality so I definitely think you don't have to spend a ton to get what you need.

As far as what I carry in them - in the beginning lots of diapers/wipes/changes of clothes (for poo-splosions which both my kids so far were pro at), recieving/swaddle blankets, soothers, diaper cream, and then regular purse stuff (Wallet/keys/phone) - I breastfed both kids and neither would take bottles so I never had those but if you are formula feeding make sure you get a bag that has space for bottles. When baby gets a bit older I also tended to have lots of snacks available as well as a few small toys. I think I always tended to overpack but I'd rather do that that not have what I need. I also would often keep a bag in the car with a lot of extras so I didn't have to haul around a giant heavy bag everywhere!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I’ll preface my opinion with that fact that I don’t normally even carry as pusrse. I’m a keys and phone in pocket and go kind of person.

Splurged on the JuJuBee be right back backpack since everyone said they loved it. Meh. I mean, the bag itself is totally fine. Has everything I could have ever needed. But it’s huge. Like a full sized backpack. Got real sick of carrying it around.

Swapped it out for this: HotStyle Cute Mini Backpack Diaper Bag Small Travel Handbag - Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1F110K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9HI1AbTKS5NTW

$25. Tiny yet has all I need. Side pockets for sippy cups/bottles. iPad pocket inside fits a few diapers and travel wipes perfectly. Few pockets inside holds snacks like pouches and cereal bars. Throw a change of clothes, sweatshirt, and a few small toys in the middle. Still has some room for a snack cup or shoes or whatever ends up getting shoved in there. Front pocket has a bib, his silicon mat for eating out, and hand sanitizer.

I keep one of those plastic shoe box containers in the car with extra supplies (more clothes, blanket, extra diapers, etc). I don’t plan on going back to my big bag once the baby is here. I think I’ll be able to fit an extra set of clothes and a few more diapers in there. I’ll just load up the car with some extra stuff. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a Skip Hop backpack and more traditional looking diaper bag. Both I find fine. I like that the diaper bag has a bunch of different pockets to organize things. The backpack not so much, but I find myself using that bag more because it keeps my arms free. Either way, both are convenient when I'm using the stroller because I can attach them to it and then it doesn't really matter what bag I have. Full disclosure: I didn't really check out that many other brands, so I don't really know if these are "the best" or not - they just seemed to work fine for me. 

I tend to carry a ton of stuff in my bag - a couple diapers, wipes, snacks/food, sippy cup, extra change of clothes, changing pad (that came with the bag), a bib, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, and then my usual purse-type stuff (wallet, kleenex, chap stick, phone, etc). I like to be prepared, haha. But like I said, if we're using a stroller, it doesn't really matter if my bag is too stuffed. 

• I have no actual recommendations but I have tried both the side bag and back pack type, back pack wins my vote. I love that I don't have to juggle my balance to bend down and I can keep up with my toddler better. Plus honestly they hold more if you need them too (vacations come to mind) and are pretty gender neutral so DH likes it better too.
  • After the first couple months you really don't need to bring much with you. I have a skiphop diaper bag that I keep in the car. It has a couple diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes. I keep it in the car for emergencies. In my purse I put a diaper and a pack of wipes and it's perfect. I did also change to a cute backpack purse. its so much easier than a regular one with kids! I also occasionally pack some food if we're going out to eat, but I just use a kids lunch bag. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • KFrobKFrob member
    I had a big Skiphop over the shoulder style bag that DH got for me.  It had tons of different pockets and held so much which was handy, but in hindsight I wish I got the backpack style like everyone is mentioning for free hands.  I like the look of the shoulder bag better, but backpack is more functional.  When DD was around 18 months I decided to down size to a large purse that came with a second pouch big enough to throw in a couple of diapers and wipes.  
  • I also have the Skiphop shoulder style bag. 

I like it, it does the trick. I purposely picked grey so that DH would wear it too, like others have mentioned. I also kindof wish I had gotten the backpack style, and I think I might this time around. Half the time I just pack up DS little Skiphop toddler backpack and it does just fine.
  • I on my third diaper bag so far.  First I had a nice vera bradley bag that was big and had lots of pockets plus the front of the bag turned into a changing area.  It was really nice and I used it the first year but it was so big and heavy.  Then I switched to a cheaper but also still big bag that I ordered on Amazon.  I liked that bag but it wasn't smaller which is what I wanted.  Now I have a cheap but nicely made one also ordered from amazon which is the backpack style.  Honestly I will never switch back especially with a toddler and the new baby coming.  It is so nice to have my hands free and not worrying about the heavy bag on one shoulder.

Some things I keep in the diaper bag are: diapers, wipes, change of clothes, diaper cream, sanitizer, toys/book, coloring book and a few crayons in a Ziploc bag, snacks for kiddo and for me, cup for my toddler, water bottle for me, keys, wallet, phone, chapstick, tums. My husband thinks I carry too much but I always feel prepared when we are out.
  • I'm a big jujube fan. I tried multiple styles and brands with my first and never found one I liked. A friend told me about jujube right after I had my second and I won't buy anything else. The fact that they are machine washable is enough to keep me buying them.  As others have mentioned a backpack is definitely the way to go long term. In the beginning it's not a big deal but once they are running around and you are going to parks, it's so much easier to put it on your back to chase after a kid, or a few.
  • I started with a Carter’s bag that I loved. Nothing fancy. My cat peed on it one night and it was a goner. I bought a second one and it seemed like it was cheaper material. I pitched it. 

I got a JuJuBe Be Prepared second hand for $30. I love it and hate it. It’s so heavy and it hurts my back, but I’ve never used it when not pregnant so maybe I’ll like it better then. But so far I pawn it on H when we’re out and about. I do need something big tho because I take Z to my mothers daily and always have a lot to pack. When #3 is here, I’m sure I’ll have even more to pack!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• The jujube Be Prepared is the one I was looking at.  I liked that it can be worn like a backpack, but doesn’t have to open wide like a lot of backpacks.  I tend to be on the overpack side, and am too lazy to walk back to the car when I need something.  
  • I mentioned in the other post that I love my JuJuBe BFF. I use it most as a backpack and I love how comfortable the straps are. That was something I didn’t take into account when looking for my first bag. This is my 3rd diaper bag and it’s the one I’ve had the longest. It allows me to be hands free. When I take the kids to the children’s museum or to Disneyland, I like that I can wear it comfortably for most of the day and it’ll have What I need so I don’t have to bring the stroller with me to carry stuff. I can also baby wear with it. I’ve used a ring sling, the Bijorn and the LILLEbaby with it without problems. 

I have diapers, wipes, boogie wipes, a change of clothes for each kid, some small toys, a roll of small plastic bags, hand sanitizer, and meds in mine. I used to carry more but have toned down over the years. 

I think it’s important that you think about what you plan to do with your kids and your style when choosing the bag. I thought that I had to have the big bulky bag, stuffed to the brim. And when I started taking my son places, it felt more like a burden. I also like to have everything with me so that if my son has an accident or if there are other issues, I don’t have to dash to the car with two (soon to be 3) kids in tow. My stuff is in it as well, which is nice because I hate multiple bags. Try out bags at the store and if you can, put something heavy in it while you wear it around and see if it’s something you can live with. 
  • hellopartyof5hellopartyof5 member
    edited April 2018
    I guess for me, if I'm going to a big place like Disneyland or the museum that I'll be there for hours, well yea I'm bringing a big bag full of stuff to make sure I'm good for the day. But that's not my every day life (Or the life of most of the people I know) most sahms around me are walking to the park, going grocery shopping, doing music class. Stuff like that. And for those situations, a purse with a diaper and wipes works. I do pack a special bag for swim classes for obvious reasons. I did have the JU JUBe BFF and didn't think it was big enough for the times I did want to use a diaper bag. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • mommy2anemommy2ane member
    edited April 2018
    @hellopartyof5 You’re right in that most people aren’t doing those big things daily. And for those things, I definitely understand taking the minimum! I also wanted to ask you since I think you have kids closer in age than mine, is there a diaper bag you felt was big enough? My daughter and this one will be 22 months apart so I’m thinking she’ll still be in diapers and I’m concerned that my bff isn’t big enough. 

I definitely think that the kind of bag you need is dependent on your lifestyle. I’m a teacher so my kids are in daycare and the bag goes with them everyday. It’s so much easier for us to keep track of where things are this way. Also, my husband owns his own business, works from home and will work on many weekends. In order to keep the distraction to a minimum, we find ourselves out of the house a lot during the weekends and my vacations/breaks. Since we’re out most of the day, my bag becomes my purse and I just have everything in it! Again, I really think it’s just what your lifestyle is and what you feel is necessary.

edited because I didn’t like the wording “blame you” because it sounded as though I was blaming... or I’m just overthinking things.
  • I will say, especially when DS was a newborn, we used way less stuff than I ever packed. Diapers. Wipes. Change of clothes on occasion. Probably could have done without anything else. Now at 16 months, we use diapers, wipes, water cup, snacks. Sure, you can pack the whole house if it makes you feel better, but you don’t NEED to if it makes you feel weighed down. 
  • When it was my first kid I had a Skip Hop Duo shoulder bag and it clipped to the stroller - perfect!  Once I moved onto kid #2 I just needed a backpack style because I needed as much freedom to move with little runaways!  With #3 I'm definitely going with  backpack style.  I had a JuJube BRB,  I liked it but I didn't love it.  Going to see whats on new on the market this go around.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • KFrobKFrob member
    Another thing to think about is if you’re going to end up pumping.  I was EPing and needed something big enough to lug around the pump if we were going to be away from home for a while.  I preferred to not have multiple bags.  I just used the diaper bag as my everyday bag back and forth to work etc. but that’s personal preference. 
  • edited April 2018
    I think I posted this on the advice thread but it's worth saying again for Moms who are like me:

I loved my jujube be right back. My nephew was born 9 months before DD and my sister in law had a skip hop shoulder bag and she fell in love with my jujube as well. I really liked that it's front loading (made it easier to reach things when changing baby), it fit just SO MUCH STUFF, and everything was easily within reach (car keys, wallet, cover, bottles, paci), and you won't realize you need a backpack until it's too late...get the backpack style. It really helped me stay organized which the grandparents appreciated during babysitting time. Now that DD is almost two she uses a Moana backpack but they'll both either be in daycare or with my mom so they need separate bags for the day to day. I still have my old jujube but since we're done after this one I'm definitely going to splurge and get a new bag (I would've splurged for a new purse so for me it feels the same). This is the one I'm leaning towards this time around, and I think I'm going to get the little $30 pouch as well to keep DD pull ups and stuff separate from Beans. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UAIUXK4/ref=sxts_sxwds-puwylo_rv_1_s_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3534076942&pd_rd_wg=M0PXb&pf_rd_r=5GKACGFMA1RARHJR118K&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00UAIUXK4&pd_rd_w=qaq3F&pf_rd_i=jujube+be+right+back&pd_rd_r=d6d990d5-affd-4b0e-9136-e00493ed455a&ie=UTF8&qid=1524056752&sr=1

I tried looking at other bags and I just couldn't get over the top loading feature, it gives me anxiety just thinking about it. 

edited because thinking while pregnant is hard
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mommy2ane so at around 2 I started having my DS have his own backpack when we went somewhere. That way he could have a diaper, snacks and his drink with him. I started just using a skip hop duo for both BUT if I was going somewhere for the whole day and I was going to have my stroller with me, I grabbed a lands end boat tote in size large. Then I could literally put every conceivable thing in there. I got the zip top. i also plan on using it for a beach bag this year! That way if we don't want to wear coats I can stuff them in there, I can pack lunch for all of us in a lunch bag, I can put the skip hop duo in there no problem. My stroller also has a pretty large basket (city select) so the bag can be stuffed in there. If you don't have a large basket, this would be frustrating. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • I had bought a diaper bag from target with my first, but at my shower someone gave us a nice just regular backpack with two big main pockets then a few smaller section and side bottle holders and I ended up using that way more often! Backpack style is definitely the way to go. It doesn’t have to specifically be a “diaper bag” backpack either- a regular “school” type bag works just as well!
  • This thread is awesome! I seriously had no idea on which direction to go as a FTM. Now it's clear backpack is the best way. Thanks!
  • I actually never had a diaper bag. I went with a large purse/tote that was cute and had plenty of space for my stuff and stuff for baby and my toddlers. I love thirty-one brand. I am on my 3rd Cindy tote https://www.mythirtyone.com/product/3057 I'm regularly a big bag/purse kind of person so even without a baby this is my go to bag. I really like the idea of a backpack but I feel weird having my wallet/keys behind me especially in a crowded area.
  • We found an old Harley backpack of DH's yesterday with tons of pockets. It might be perfect for a diaper bag... or at the very least a man bag.
  • STMs, do you guys share a diaper bag with your husbands or do you each have your own? I'm trying to decide whether to get 1 that's neutral enough for him to carry as well or if we each just get and stock our own.

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• @sarahzett My H bought his own diaper bag and has never used it once. We are usually together so he rarely goes anywhere with DD by himself, but when he does he usually just takes mine.
    I used to use a black Ergobaby backpack but it was too big so I switched to a JuJuBe knockoff that's black and white stripes. It's neutral-ish, but definitely more on the girly side. Since I switched I can tell H doesn't really like to carry it as much.
  • @sarazett E and I bought DH his own as a Father's Day present before Z was born. He used it once. Then it was the daycare bag for awhile. Now it sits in the closet. DH uses mine when he needs one.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• KFrobKFrob member
    DH has his own bag that he picked up at a second hand baby store for $7!  He does use it if he's out with the kids and I'm not there, but most of the time it just sits in a closest.  
  • @sarahzett my husband just uses the same bag. It just makes it easier so he doesn’t have to move things and to be honest, he doesn’t take E anywhere without me except to daycare. He did get a “Dad bag” from my work baby shower but he never used it. He doesn’t like how girly our current bag is, but whatever! I use it most of the time anyway. 
  • Same bag. No way I’m packing two, keeping track of them both, which one ran out of wipes, did I swap the spare clothes for a new size. Nope. 
  • Yes yes yes to backpack! We have just one, it's all we need, both the husband and I use it.
  • PSA: Zulily has this one on sale today and I love it. Skip Hop

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Laumb11 that's the one I've been thinking about getting. And that's a good price too!
  • @nmadjeski i have the black one and it’s great. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ohh and that color is gorgeous. I just got a Skip Hop pumping bag and I'm excited to use it when the time comes.
  • tlmilltlmill member
    Backpack all the way. We use a Jansport. I tried so many different diaper bag brands and styles with DD and hated everything. The backpack holds a ton, DH uses it with no problem, and it keeps you hands-free. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sammierose464 I didn't know they made a pumping bag. I'm going to have to check it out. That was one of the biggest pains with DS, having to carry all my pumping equipment to and from work. 
  • @tropical1982 We use a bag very similar to that for DS (it's also an Eddie Bauer but the style is a little different).  I really like it and so does my DH, but I have to admit I've never used the wipes case on the side and actually I took the actual case out because I wasn't using it.  I think this is mostly because I got a pampers resuable wipe holder and that didn't fit in the side pocket.  Just thought I'd give you a users perspective!