Infertility

Fertility Med Depression

suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
edited April 2018 in Infertility
Does anyone else feel like an emotional roller coaster during treatment cycles? I was so irritable yesterday and experienced emotional lability last night. This is the first time I've felt depression after taking the trigger. What do you do to help this?
People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
IVF
IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
Back on Levothyroxine
FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
1st Beta on 7dpt 93
2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

Re: Fertility Med Depression

• J1006J1006 member
    Ummmmm yes! Definitely an emotional rollercoaster. I’ve been sad, crying for no reason and just our right angry. I let myself feel those emotions. I try to do things that lift my spirits or get my mind off of it.  Last year after my 3rd IUI failed I was definitely in a rut. I didn’t want to talk to anyone or do anything.y one friend who is aware of our treatments called me and said We are going to lunch and that’s not an option. Just being forced out of the house was what I needed. 
  • I'm sorry @suzycupcake the ups and downs with the meds definitely doesn't help how your already feeling when going through this emotional roller coaster. I agree with what @J1006 said about doing things for you to help lift you spirits. I had a crap day last Wednesday then on Saturday I was so flipping irritable I was angry - like crazy angry out of no where and tired. I am guessing from the PIO shots. So just trying to take a mini nap which seems impossible or stepping away even if that means a simple trip to Target to get away. Hang in there lady..this stuff definitely messes with our minds. My therapist had me download this app called Headspace. No clue if it works but figured I will try it this week. Basically three -5 minutes to mentally check out and calm down while listening to whatever it is. At this point I will take it and see how it goes. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Loading the player...
  • mcgeeva headspace is great... theres also a meditation app specifically for IVF called mindful IVF (and another one called Calm...I use them all).

• jules3978jules3978 member
    edited April 2018
    I'm just starting this whole process and on day 4 of meds, I was an SO emotional.  My poor husband just wanted to know what he could do to 'fix it' and kept asking what was wrong and all I could do is ugly cry (where I was practically gasping for air) and say 'nothing is wrong.'  I've been a wreck!  Hang in there!

@mcgeeva - I love headspace!  I have it on my phone but haven't used it in a while so I need to do that again...it'll probably help my emotions right now!

Me: 40, AMH 0.4  DH: 32
    Married: 7/30/17
    TTC since: 4/2017
    IUI #1: planned for 4/2018 - cancelled due to insufficient follicle size/growth.  :(
    IUI #2: 5/22/18 - BFN
    IUI #3: 6/22/18
    BFP: 7/4/18
  • @dragonette505 my therapist actually recommended calm as well. Have to try that next!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• mcgeeva  I like them all, and sort of rotate around with them. I'm very high strung so I also go to a local meditation center too... it really helps especially during a cycle!
  • I get it! I'm a mental stress ball all the time. I already know if this works out I have to talk to my doctor right away about getting on BP meds again. I swear I can feel the stress rise in my chest some days. 

• edited April 2018
    YES! Your experience is absolutely valid.  I've had times where I think I'm okay, and not experiencing the emotional wave...and then it just bursts out of me as anger or tears over something ridiculous.  My first month doing IUI and meds, I had a literal heaving, crying meltdown because I couldn't get the appointment I wanted for my car oil change. 

I try to do things that make me happy...singing really loud in the car, going for a walk, watching funny movies, snuggling with my cat, etc. I also try to cut myself some slack for the emotions, and not be too hard on myself because this is a stressful process with or without meds. Hang in there, baby!

[Edited because I accidentally clicked send without finishing my comment - darn phone!]

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• suzycupcake definitely. Do you have a history of depression? The meds from our two IUI attempts triggered my depression very badly- especially the Femara. Thank goodness the IVF meds haven't been as bad for me in that way, although I've definitely had mood swings from the birth control, the estrogen pills, and the progesterone injections. It took me a few months to recover from the clinical depression that was triggered from the IUI and I slightly increased my antidepressant dosage. Take care of yourself and maybe let someone close to you know how you're feeling. It can get serious, especially after a cycle is done and you're left recovering. Hang in there! 
  • Thank you ladies for letting me know I'm not alone in this. I don't have a history of depression per say, not more than situational stuff.

Since medicated cycles, we've done clomid twice, femara twice, estrace, progesterone suppositories, hcg injections.

I had a tw****in my spoiler***in February, then they had to add thyroid hormone to the equation because my tsh levels went high. I mean, I just feel like I'm on a hormone roller coaster. When I'm crying or moody, I know it doesn't fit with what's going on in my environment. It feels hormonal. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN