September 2018 Moms

Planning Maternity Leave

2»

Re: Planning Maternity Leave

• @nlc8424 Thanks, this is very helpful. I didn't realize that's how the disability claim worked.

• @adirat welcome! One last thing, I imagine if you don't want to deal with the crappy NYS disability pay you probably don't have to apply for it and could just do the state paid family leave instead.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm incredibly thankful that my husband will be home with me for at least the first month! No paternity leave, just the way it'll work out at the time. It'll be such a great time as a new little family! I'm also thankful I won't have to go back to work. I just need my job's insurance until we can hop on my husband's. 
  • My husband's job has no paternity leave, and he'll be there less than a year-doesn't qualify for FMLA. Not that it matters-his will be the only income at that point and we need it, plus he has only 4 paid days off for the year-two of which he took while sick, and the other two already planned for a camping trip...so he'll only be able to take 2-3 days off for this baby, unpaid.

Last time I had a traumatic surgery, and he could only afford two days off, and two worked from home/hospital. Then I was on my own.

I'm not saying it will be easy, but we don't have people around to help much.. maybe 1-2 days per week-everyone works or has their own toddlers to take care of. We'll manage.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a heavy job. Last pregnancy I was due Oct 7 and went on sick leave Aug 10 - mat leave officially starting the day I gave birth. It will likely be the same this time and I really enjoyed the time before baby was born to get things ready. This time it will be special to have that time alone with DD. 
    I will be taking one year of mat leave and DH won't take any but will use 2 weeks vacay to stay home with us.
  •  I work for my family. It’s just my mom and I so  I plan to work right until I deliver. I did the same with my other two but did cut back my on-site work a bit. I had SPD with both and meralgia paresthetica with DS.  It was not super comfortable but we do what we have to do. After DS I had started working from my hospital bed post C-section. I was on a construction site less than two weeks postpartum. With DD (RCS)  I had a little bit of a rough recovery and took off more time from any on-site work. But I worked from home and it’s okay. DH works for a company that does not have enough employees for FMLA. They don’t have any paid leave policy but he will take a couple weeks unpaid assuming he has no PTO to use first.  Again, it’s not ideal but it’s not that big of a deal in the long run. We do what we have to do and that might mean working will be in a little bit uncomfortable or returning to work before we are ready. 
  • I'll be forced off work by the end of June at the latest and probably earlier. My OB was not thrilled with me flying up to 28 weeks so I have a feeling she'll be taking me out by the end of May. Then I'm on disability until birth with standard CA pregnancy leave followed by 8 months off (unpaid) which should take me to a full year off postpartum. I'll basically be off for 15-16months with minimal pay which isn't the end of the world (and I'm thrilled to have that much time with DD- I did not get this with DS), but will be annyong when I do return to work as they'll take all my benefits out of my initial paychecks so I wont be paid for a few months while all the backlog catches up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • ***when I do return to work as they'll take all my benefits out of my initial paychecks so I wont be paid for a few months while all the backlog catches up. ***
    There has got to be a better way! I get the math, but that would totally make me sad to work and not feel like I'm getting paid : :'(
  • EErin86 said:
    ***when I do return to work as they'll take all my benefits out of my initial paychecks so I wont be paid for a few months while all the backlog catches up. ***
    There has got to be a better way! I get the math, but that would totally make me sad to work and not feel like I'm getting paid : :'(
    Same thing happens to me, although not as extreme because I won't be off work as long. They give us the option to catch up in 1, 2, or 3 paychecks. No fun paying over $1K a check on health insurance premiums.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @AdmiralKitty @DanyTargaryen what would happen if you decided near the end of your leave that you weren’t coming back?
  • DanyTargaryenDanyTargaryen member
    edited April 2018
    @nackie - I would have to pay them back out of my own savings (as opposed to payroll deductions). We sign something before going on leave that says the company will cover all insurance premiums (health, dental, life, STD, LTD) while on leave, but either we pay it back through payroll deductions once we return or if we were to leave we owe the company the money.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @DanyTargaryen  thanks. I wasn’t sure how that worked. I’m on my husband’s plan so I never had to deal with that
  • @nackie your HR office or leave office (part of HR but depending on size of the company could be a specific group of people) can tell you how your company handles it. My employer takes 1.5 times the benefits when you return until you are caught up. So basically that pay period’s benefits plus half of one from the leave. I like this because even though it will take some time to pay back it doesn’t negatively impact you for too long. If I were to decide near the end of my leave not to come back I would owe them all of the benefits they had paid for me.
  • With both of my kids I worked up until delivery then took 12 and 13 weeks off. With my second I was in a position to work from home part time 9 weeks after delivery so I did that then went back to my regular in office hours after 13 weeks. I don't get any paid maternity leave and didn't have vacation time to cover it, but we had saved up for me to be able to take that long off. 

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• I work 7 on/7 off so essentially I have 10 weeks of work left until my due date. I plan on working until I go into labor since the hospital I work at is closer to our women’s campus vs where my house is. The only time I have built is is extended leave bank which I can’t use unless I’m admitted to the hospital or miss 3 consecutive days of work from sickness. I don’t earn any PTO as that is paid to me every check because of my schedule. I also plan on taking 12 weeks off but probably only 4 weeks will actually be paid to me. So we are hoping my husband gets his raise they’ve been talking about so he can pay our mortgage until I can get back to work. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
    BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
    BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
    BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
    BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018
  • EErin86 said:
    ***when I do return to work as they'll take all my benefits out of my initial paychecks so I wont be paid for a few months while all the backlog catches up. ***
    DH has the option to pay OOP (out of pocket) for medical, dental and the other expenses versus deductions from the first paycheck. We prefer to do that rather than owe the money.
  • I work in a cafe inside a retail store and have STD. I will get 8 weeks paid once first week unpaid passes but I have maybe 1-2 vacation days I can be paid for (was just out in August for back surgery). I can't see me working up to delivery bc I have chronic back pain with nerve damage and it's already getting hard being on my feet all day. STD I believe is 60% of my pay and I will be getting a dollar raise soon.

My husband has 8 days off and his days start over 10/1 then he will have 3 weeks for 2018/2019 all paid. He has been with company 10 years this summer so they are generous and his pay should be raised in August so that will also help us when I'm out. He plans to take 2-3 days off a week for the first month at least since I'm having C-section and my pain issues will be aggrevated.

We will be working opposite schedules when I do go back so no costly childcare.