June 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Strollers Edition w/o Oct 16

13»

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Strollers Edition w/o Oct 16

• If anyone has their eye on an UPPAbaby stroller but has yet to pull the trigger, the 2017 models are 20% off online as of yesterday!
  • Posted on baby gear but was advised this is better:
    Those in wintery areas, need suggestion!
    We have this stroller:

https://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=50542596

{Baby Trend - 3 wheeler, intended for jogging}
    The wheels seem pretty good to 'plow' through the snow, but never experienced it.

Is it actually good in snow or does it just look it?
  • Loading the player...
  • @MissKittyDanger I've never used the stroller in snow and I live in WI. I guess we just avoid any activity which would require us to use the stroller for any sort of long distance in the winter time. Our sidewalks don't get taken care of very well so even if they are shoveled, there's still ice so I avoid walking in the winter. Parking lots are usually cleared and salted so if I'm using it, it's usually just been at the mall to walk from the car to the parking lot and don't have to worry about barreling through snow drifts, etc.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @aharv77 Damn. I mean I've heard good things and many people I know suggested 3-wheel. Even though my H drives, I don't and if LO is with my mum she doesn't drive so I'm hoping it'll be good.
  • Strollers aren’t good in the snow. They skid and kick snow back. I’m fairly certain some moms in my other BMB have ski type things for their strollers.  
  • We have the Chicco viaro travel system. I like it fine and would recommend it. We’re going to buy the Cortina double so we can use the carseat we already have for #2. 

We originally wanted the cortina and registered for that one but my dad bought us the viaro because he said he liked it better (in hindsight I should have gone back with it and got the one we wanted). I do like the viaro and it has been a good, functional stroller. I don’t like that the wheels stick out significantly in the back, I’m always catching them on things and hitting things with them. It also does not do well on gravel so if you are wanting to walk somewhere with uneven terrain, probably go with a jogging stroller with rubber tires. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @marcus7676 Roads and sidewalks are usually pretty good {which is where I'd be mostly} but the slush build up on them ... omg
    I may look into the ski's but I haven't met anyone who's used them around me
  • @MissKittyDanger Do you expect to be walking with the stroller a lot in winter time? 
  • @aharv77 It would depend on the weather. If it's not overly cold or snowing like crazy, then ideally I'd like to take a walk daily. Even just around the block at the very least
  • @MissKittyDanger & @aharv77 I hadn't even considered winter stroller issues...ugh. I'm so glad we are having summer babes so we can enjoy the outdoors. (Especially for me, since I will be taking the 12 weeks only!)

I'm not obsessing over whether or not to get a bassinet attachment for my stroller, vs. using the carseat all the time for walks....

specifically this one: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-Deluxe-Pram-Black/dp/B00GODPB6U/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1522939485&sr=1-1&keywords=baby+jogger+deluxe+pram&th=1
  • @bearmoons honestly if it weren't for being pregnant over the winter and being off for a year, I wouldn't have really done much thinking about it.
    That's a cute bassinet though :)
  • @bearmoons I never did either, especially living in an area that has snow for several months of the year. We just pack the stroller away in the garage in the winter unless we're going somewhere indoors (i.e. mall or some other event) that would require us to use the stroller. It otherwise seldom got used in the winter.

@MissKittyDanger I do have a 3 wheel stroller that works great for powering through uneven ground/grass. So I guess my opinion would be that it would probably be fine in snow if you're planning to get out and walk a lot!
  • So my H's grandparents picked up the bucket seat we had on our registry, and it just occurred to me .... would it come with an attachment for the stroller or is that separate? We've got the stroller and carseat separately, but they're meant to go together.

Would this be a better question we should ask Babies R Us?
  • @MissKittyDanger - If they're the same brand and meant to go together there shouldn't be a separate attachment, usually it clicks into place.  What brand is it?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @mytinc That's what I figured, but buying separate I wasn't sure.
    Baby Trend. I can link if you want, but I believe I linked in a previous post above
  • I didn't have that set, but even buying separately I"d think you wouldn't need anything else.  Can you google the stroller and double check what seats its compatible with?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @mytinc a few reviews say it's compatible with Graco, but nothing about attachments. I may end up going into Babies R Us or calling to double check because you make a good point, it should be fine
  • I wish I could tag or remember everyone that might have or be needing a double stroller. What do you guys have or are going with? Why did you choose that one? I've been kind of driving myself crazy over this subject. I have a Chicco Keyfit 30 carseat and travel system for a single that I've been very happy with. The obvious choice would be the Chicco Cortina double that will work with my carrier, but I've been researching and researching and just want to hear what others are doing. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista I’m a Chicco keyfit 30 lady as well... as much as I really want the Cortina I’m going to try to spare the expense and encourage DD to “help” me with pushing the stroller. I think she’s a bit older than your guy though, will be 3 in July, so I’m not sure if you think he’d be into that yet. I’m probably not much help. 
    I may regret my decision and I may still be buying one post partum.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We got the Chicco keyfit 30, and are going with the City Select Lux, which can convert to a double. The single stroller is on super sale at Target right now (MSRP $630, got it for $340+tax this morning!). I think the extra seat is also on sale. I'll just need to get the carseat adapter, which is $45 on Amazon (and I'll use my completion discount).

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • @2589 yeah, my kiddo is 16mos and very much still enjoys being pushed. I don't think he'd like being usurped at all. Nor would I feel comfortable having him "loose" just yet. I've researched and googled and youtubed until I'm exhausted over it. I've read so many reviews and watched so many videos and pulled up every list I can find. It doesn't seem like people really love any of the double strollers out there. I noticed a dad with twins pushing around a Babytrend Sit n Stand on Sunday, and after searching it, found out that the Chicco unofficially is usable with that one as well. I'm thinking either way I'm about to be pushing a bus, but I'm questioning whether it HAS to be compatible with the carrier. Can the carrier just stay in the car when I'm using it if I decided to buy one that doesn't match up? And on and on my brain goes. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @icecubeinthedesert that is an amazing deal! If we hadn't already bought our stroller I would have gone with that. 

@Austenista I have determined that no one likes everything about any stroller. I think you just find what works for your family and from what I have seen, double strollers have great resale value and go like hot cakes on the BST groups I am a part of. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @Austenista I am in the same boat. A double stroller is the one major purchase I have left, and I am totally paralyzed. We have a Chicco Keyfit 30 as well, so the Cortina Together seems like the obvious option, but I just can't pull the trigger. I've read good reviews of the Contours Options, and it's compatible, but again, can't pull the trigger. I just don't want to pay for either of them, and I haven't found either used yet. Just ugh.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @Austenista I have the baby trend sit and stand. I love it. The back seat goes down far enough that I think you could put a newborn in there, if you didn't use your carrier. They might need some additional support, but it would be okay 
  • Austenista  Austenista member
    edited April 2018
    @MoonOverGoldsboro that's me right now, just in comparison hell. I like the versatility of the Contours Options and I liked the Cortina double when we tried it out in BRU, but I was having trouble clicking the carrier into place and removing it with ease and I noticed that was something people were complaining about in reviews. I need to go mess around with it again before BRU closes. I think I'm going to swing by BBB tomorrow and play with the Contours and see what I think. Siiiiiigh. 

@icecubeinthedesert that is a phenomenal deal. Is it just in store?  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista , I don't think it's sold in the stores. I got the deal online. 

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • Austenista  Austenista member
    edited April 2018
    @icecubeinthedesert you win the internet today for making me aware of that $100 discount on baby gear from Target. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista - I’m the odd one out here - but we opted out of a double stroller. We are getting a glider board for DS (3yo) for when we want to use the actual stroller. And for our double option, MIL is buying us the Veer Cruiser wagon. 
  • @BurlapandLace I WANT THE VEER SO BAD. Sorry :lol: I just saw today it’s on Amazon 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @BurlapandLace that thing is so cool. I see people with those out and about and always say that I want one. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @icecubeinthedesert +1 thank you for that Target deal - I just loaded up my cart with a swing and a bouncer and fully intend on using it tomorrow with the 15% off coupon that I should be getting for the registry discount.     
  • So...I ordered the Baby Jogger city mini GT, and adapters for the Cybex carseat my SIL gave us. The adapters arrived and appear to be for EVERY Cybex carseat but the one we have (not well labeled on the website AT ALL, and the little chart they have buried on there is unreadable on the computer, I can only see it on my phone)....So now I'm panicking about what to do, but the stroller hasn't arrived yet, so I can't even try things to see if they work. Also, it says they only take returns in unused condition within 7 days, so can I even try the adapters with the stroller?? The stroller has other compatible car seats, such as the Chicco KeyFit 30, which is rated really well, but the adapters for the stroller are $60 and look like a pain in the ass. So....do I just say F it and return the whole City Mini GT and adapters and scrap that plan? I hope it comes today since I only have 7 days to return it. I'm going to call today to see if I can test it out and still return it. And also ask about it working with my carseat. Or, I could just start from scratch and get a whole new travel system. With this sweat Target deal, I could get a full Chicco travel system. Any recommendations from you wise gals? Thanks!
  • @bearmoons we also got the City Mini GT and the Chicco Keyfit. I didn't want to spend the money on the adapter either. We are planning to borrow the Chicco caddy from friends to use for the first 6 months until she's big enough to sit in the City Mini. They are $100 new but I see them on Facebook marketplace for 40-50 all the time. I like that it's light and can fold up easily and is made to go with the carseat vs having something that might not fit perfectly. Another option for you could be if Cybex has a caddy like that to use with the car seat? 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @elsie42 yea, I may look around some more, and that's a good idea to check FB and such for used caddies. My SIL also gave us this big caddy adapter thing that I will look at again as that may work. I just really like the City Mini GT....and I do not want to have to start my search over!
  • @bearmoons I think if you really like the City Mini GT you should keep it! Not using it for 6 months vs using it for many years after is worth it IMO
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @elsie42 I just want something I can walk with all summer....maybe I should just suck it up and get the bassinet