June 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Health & Safety (Jan 22)

13»

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Health & Safety (Jan 22)

• Haven't seen this mentioned: We have tamper-resistant outlets in our house so we don't need covers. (This is now required code in new houses or in replacing outlets.) We had ours done as part of some larger electrical upgrades in our old house. Not sure the cost if you are just replacing outlets. It's a small job but you might get charged a few hundred just to make it worth an electrician's time. (Maybe something to consider the next time you have to hire an electrician for some other big job.)
  • Loading the player...
  • @llamamama14 I'm laughing over here because 2yo DS just learned how to open one of our gates and I posted a picture on facebook of the velociraptors from Jurassic Park. That's really how it feels lol

It's a good warning though, if DS sees us do anything, he knows how to do it. He was that way as soon as he turned 1... 
  • @srb1028 our OB recommended to the extent possible that adult family members get Tdap boosters. It’s effectiveness wears off over time so most adults without boosters in the past 10 years can get and pass on the illness. There’s a lot of info on the CDC website.
  • @srb1028 - my OB insisted that me and my H get it.  We also made anyone who would spent time around DS get it (my sister, BIL, my MIL, FIL and BIL).  It's such a minor shot that no one should push back given how serious whooping cough is.  
  • I haven’t checked it out yet, but my OB said you could get the whooping cough shot at Walgreens like the flu shot. So, if someone doesn’t want to go to the doc, then they could try that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 I will have to check that out..if it is as easy as someone making a pit stop at a Walgreens, then I don't want to hear any family members complaining! I don't want to sound like an overbearing new mom but I also don't want my child to get sick. I know my mom, SIL and brother will be on board, not so sure about my dad, MIL and FIL...have a feeling they will give us grief about it. I am glad to hear that it is something a lot of mom's are asking of their family!
    26 y/o FTM (biologically)
    1 Child - Son - 9 y/o
    Married - DH 27 y/o 
    BFP: 10/13/17
    EDD: 6/22/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • krash_krash_ member
    edited January 2018
    Should I be asking our potential child care providers if they are up to date on their Tdap or is that something that is required for them?
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke I would. Especially if they are taking care of the baby in the first few months.

• I would also recommend the shingles vaccine if they are senior enough. BIL, DH and  I have all had shingles, and let me tell you, it is not something to wish on any one. While it is not contagious for the Babes, if they are in for tdap, then shingles inquiry would be worth it too... 
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @srb1028 My OB hasn't mentioned it, by my GP mentioned to double check if my H is up to date on his shots and that once baby is born to ensure everyone is relatively up to date.
    Unfortunately that means H's stepbro can't see baby until she's 6 weeks because he's unable to get vaxxed :( (long story - not antivax related}
  • This is a good reminder to check if DH is up-to-date on his shots. He likes to act all high and mighty about vaccines, but I can't remember him getting anything other than a flu shot in the ten years we've been together, so hard to imagine he's gotten any boosters.... stay tuned... 
  • I got my tDap shot along with my flu shot with DD- my dr hasn't said anything about it this time, but since I had it last year, I'm not sure I need to.  I will double check with my OB next month.  I also know a girl that caught Whopping Cough over a decade ago while she was in college.  As a healthy college student she was basically on bedrest for about a month and broke a rib from coughing so hard.  Not something I want my newborn exposed to.

For pediatricians question- start looking now.  I LOVED my pediatrician's office when DD was born, but we moved an hour+ away and I switched doctors.  I hate the office we go to now.  I love the doctor but not a fan of the office and operational aspect. When we moved I wasn't able to come in for a meet and greats, which is really important for gaging the overall office.  Take this opportunity to talk to the doctors and check out the office.  Is it clean enough?  Do the toys in the waiting room look well cared for?  What are the exam rooms like?  How far away are the well waiting rooms from the sick waiting rooms?  What is the nurse to doctor ratio? How difficult is it to schedule an appointment (how easy was it to schedule the meet and greet?  How long does it take for your phone call to be answered?  Is the receptionist friendly or aggravating?)  What are the office hours?  Do they have Saturdays or night appointments? One of the things I loved about our old office was the separate area for shots.  They claimed it was so the children wouldn't associate the dr office with painful shots, BUT what I liked was there was 1 nurse who's entire job was giving shots, so there was little to no waiting for this after the appointment.  Currently I am waiting up to 1/2 hour with an impatient 1 year old in a tiny exam room for the nurse to come in.  I haven't left a well visit not frustrated- and that isn't what I want from any doctor I see regularly.  My last BMB had a thread for pediatrician questions and someone had a full questionnaire I kept in mind when interviewing too.  I also had to have a pediatrician selected when I registered for the hospital.  The pediatrician comes to your room daily to check on the baby- so you want to have this selected before you deliver.  

For childcare- yes you can and should be given as much information about the people taking care of your child(ren) as possible.  My daycare let me know a full FBI background check was performed on all staff members, and I can access any report that I feel the need to see.  If you are hiring a nanny or using an in home daycare you can request immunization records too- most childcare providers are prepared for these type of questions.  These people will be around your children more than you will (sad but true), so you should have as much information and comfort with them as possible.   
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @jsl82 it's recommended to get the Tdap every pregnancy regardless of the last time you had it, because it passes on some antibodies to the baby. https://www.cdc.gov/features/tdap-in-pregnancy/index.html
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Hmm.. weird that OB hasn't mentioned getting it redone.  I had it done around 26 weeks last pregnancy, so maybe she is waiting until my next visit & wave of lab slips- I assume I am getting the lab slip for the glucose test next month.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @srb1028 My OB made the same recommendation with my son, and we politely but firmly had all of our immediate family get it. They were all able to drop in to Walgreens/CVS.

I wish we had started the ped search earlier last time, because my son was born at 35 weeks and we had no one. He ended up in the hospital for 10 days, so we had a little time, but I was so stressed that I ended up just picking the one closest/in network for us. It ended up working out great, because we love our ped, but it was not ideal! 
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Unless I missed it, I don't see anyone mentioning about corner caps or plug caps.

We are getting plug caps for the outlets in baby's room - both are around midroom, and one is near the crib, other is directly across from the crib. We would like to find a cover for the open phone plug in the room as well {more a 'just in case' deal}

Anyone baby proofing plugs, corners, etc or leave it until LO actually does anything?
  • @MissKittyDanger waiting until baby is more mobile
  • Does anyone have a humidifier that’s not huge but is effective, easy to add water to/clean and relatively quiet? Reviews on humidifiers seem bonkers unless we give up half our apt to its square footage. 
  • @MissKittyDanger I'm waiting to baby proof until closer to when they start moving. 

@doxiemoxie212 I use this humidifier personally. It works great and has a nightlight if you need it. I do have to fill it every night before bed and clean it out with vinegar about once a month. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009COIFAC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger We definitely didn't worry about baby proofing until DD was crawling around.  And even then, we only did outlet covers, and door/toilet/cabinet locks.  We found DD would just rip the corner covers or anything like that off, and we were always around anyway.  

@doxiemoxie212 We had this one for DD.  We could get two nights out of it if we used the low setting.  I also liked that it was a warm mist too and you could insert these vicks tabs into it when LO got super congested or sick.  You can't use normal vicks on babies, so those things definitely helped!  We will be getting another one for this LO. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 how big is the room you use it in? Our bedroom is about 200 sqft but has super high ceilings. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 we have the Crane drop in our room too and it's worked great for over a year. Easy to clean with vinegar & water. Crane has an "adorables" range too that come in different animals... we put the Hello Kitty one on our registry :tongue:
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @doxiemoxie212 I use this one.  Same deal as @LaceyBee522 where you have to fill it every night but it’s super quiet and also can be a nightlight.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WJ5M1B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_203YAb6EJY6MH
  • @doxiemoxie212 It is in my bedroom (18x10ish - not high ceilings). I keep it right on my night stand, so it is legit blowing on me through the night. If you want to use it in the nursery, you'd need to put it on a dresser or something near the baby. I'm planning on just rotating mine toward the bassinets because they'll be sleeping right next to me anyway.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 Also - life hack - if you have a wax warmer, apparently if you put Vicks in it they will work as humidifier as well. {no water, just Vicks}
  • @LaceyBee522 no nursery on our end so just for our bedroom. 

Thanns everyone I’ll check all those out!
  • @MissKittyDanger I plugged plugs around the time that DS started scooting and crawling. Now I've got them all plugged. Charging things and keeping them plugged in but inaccessible is a pretty big challenge right now, honestly.

I removed the coffee table completely when he started pulling up because he just was continuously bonking himself in the head and overall hurting himself around it. I never did corner pads, but I would eventually like to get an upholstered coffee table the kids can tumble around on without mishap.

I used a baby jail for a while and ended up abandoning it to simply gate off rooms like the kitchen I only want him in if I'm in there with him. It was just such a pain to keep the gate secure and then having to climb over it to get things. I'm a big fan of the Regalo walk through gates, and we've used those since pre-baby to keep dogs where we want them and not in places we don't. Currently, I keep the bathroom door closed and the kitchen, downstairs bedroom, and stairs are gated.

FFMC: Even though we do need them now, I still haven't installed cabinet locks. We've only needed them for about 2-3 months and we're still looking for some we like. We bought a pack last weekend, but we belatedly realized they require you to drill holes, and DH decided he didn't want to do that so we're back to square one there. DH uses the vacuum cleaner to set in front of the bathroom cabinets so DS can't open them while husband is pooping. :D I have to give it to him that serves the purpose for which it was intended rather well. Currently, I just let DS tear out my plastic containers and bang around with my pots and pans if I need to let him in the kitchen while I'm cooking. There's nothing he can hurt himself with, and it entertains him while I cook to make a mess. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I watched this video recently, and she has some good product suggestions for baby proofing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdn4wj5PtYc
  • @doxiemoxie212 I had the Crane drop humidifiers linked above for a few years.  They are almost impossible to keep clean.  I washed them every week with vinegar and the inside developed pink mold regularly.  We switched to these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QAYJPO? and I have been so much happier in terms of cleanliness / ease of cleaning.  We've had these for about 2 years now.

• @marcus7676 I was debating the honeywell. It's obv much more expensive, and it's larger so I might struggle with a place to put it.... but it does seem to be more effective than the others.... idk
  • @doxiemoxie212 the ease of cleaning is well worth it.  It actually doesn't take up that much more room then the crane.  Plus, I like that I don't have to fill it constantly. It works for night and nap on the medium setting. The crane I filled up all the time.