September 2018 Moms
Options

Unmedicated/Low Intervention Births

Re: Unmedicated/Low Intervention Births

• Options
    I have heard that a lot of hospitals make uterine massage standard practice, but I believe it's been proven that it's not necessary in all/most births. By all means, if there was a bleeding concern, I'd prefer it to happen, but not just as a precaution. I'd rather start with nursing as my first time of defense. 

It was done to me post c section, and that was seriously not cool. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I also saved so many birth affirmations and looked at them throughout my whol pregnancy and that helped me prepare so much. 

Also just know you don’t have to have birth classes. I didn’t I hired a doula and she helped give me help and prep throughout my pregnancy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
    BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
    BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
    BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
    BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is it common for women to get an ultrasound when they are admitted for birth? I am amazed to see how many women had a sunny side up baby without knowing it! And how hard is it to turn the baby?
  • Options
    @Redpuma119 They usually go off back labor symptoms to tell. They try to position you different ways to get baby to turn. I had a lot of back labor but DS ended up turning into position just in time. 
  • Options

Questions: (I just made this one up.) 

1-Have I imagined things, or is there an option with an epidural to turn it way down? If I do have an induction, and I'm given that painful Pitocin, I'd like that option.
    2-Mamas who have gone unmedicated, talk to us about the pain. I know it is different with all labors, but what did it feel like to you?

I was medicated with DS (did not originally plan to be which is why I'm hanging out in this thread), but still have an answer for #1.

1. They placed my epidural with an initial dose. I was given a button that I was allowed to hit every 15 minutes to give me another dose. I hit it twice, all before 1am. I did not hit it again until after I delivered DS just before 9am in order to dull the pain from the few stitches I needed to get. I couldn't get out of bed, but I could feel and move my legs. I don't know if it had completely worn off or not (I'm assuming it had because I could feel the stitches) but when it came time to push, I loved that I could feel exactly what I was doing. I think it really helped with the actual delivery because I knew what my body was doing.

I don't know if this is a common approach to setting up an epidural, but this is the standard approach at my hospital.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    @pourmeamocktail - I am so sorry you went through that. You've mentioned how rough it was in other threads, but it is crazy to hear the whole story. I can't imagine having gone through that! 
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    Is it common for women to get an ultrasound when they are admitted for birth? I am amazed to see how many women had a sunny side up baby without knowing it! And how hard is it to turn the baby?
    I did not have an u/s when I was admitted, but I went into labor on a Monday and at my u/s the previous Friday he was not sunny side up. So at some point over the weekend he rolled and didn't get back in time before contractions started.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @Redpuma119 I didn’t get an ultrasound at birth either. My last one was at 20 weeks. The doctors told me when he flipped so his head was down based on feeling my belly, but there wasn’t a good way of knowing which way he was facing. It’s just a fun surprise when you go to deliver :)
  • Options
    @Redpuma119 I didn’t have an ultrasound in labor. The last one I had was 2 days earlier at my regular OB appt. DD came out sunny side up and that is way more painful (or so I’ve heard since that’s the only way I’ve done it). They didn’t try to turn her but the OB did reach in and move her arm down which had been up by her ear. Ouch! (The good news is, she won’t remember labor and I love her too much to hold it against her.)
  • Options
    I was bopping around the Internet today and found this article on EBB. It’s a good read for those pursuing a low intervention/ pain med free birth.
    https://evidencebasedbirth.com/painless-birth-pain-perception-childbirth/
  • Options
    I had hoped for an unmedicated birth last time but had severe pre-eclampsia and a rough induction. This time assuming all goes well and I can do a VBAC I’m hoping to do it unmedicated. My delivery was rough because my kidneys were shutting down and couldn’t filter out the magnesium (for the pre-e), so I was in and out the whole time and don’t remember a lot of her actual birth. I’m hoping this time to just rely on music, explosions in the sky Pandora was perfect last time to relax, and the tub to get me through! 
  • Options
    *lurker* 

Re- uterine massage

I had my daughter at a free-standing birth center, so no meds. I had my daughter and then my uterus did not contract right away, so I was bleeding. They cut the cord quickly and then gave me a shot of pitocin in the thigh for the bleeding. My placenta also did not detach right away. In my state, the placenta must deliver within an hour of birth or you have to go to the hospital. So I was nursing her and pushing with every contraction. The midwife was putting gentle pressure on the cord and pressed a little on the fundus while I was pushing. But it wasn't very painful at all. I ultimately had to get up and sit on the toilet and push until it delivered, then got back in bed. They did a little massage after that, but not much. Just for a couple minutes and it was not very painful. They did not do it again. 

I went home about three hours after she was born. They had me feel my own belly to feel for my uterus. They said after I'd been lying down for awhile or sleeping, my uterus would soften, and I would need to massage it myself until it was firm or I would bleed when I stood up. 

So I did it to myself for a day or two. And that wasn't painful either! I didn't have to rub hard. Just give a few presses and deep rubs on my lower abdomen and it firmed right up. 

I don't know if my experience was unusual unusual or not. 
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor I stumbled across this study in my research on midwives and birth centers. I found it to be slightly biased, but after reading it I decided I needed to interview the birth centers in my area. 

Do you plan on having an unmedicated/low intervention birth? Reasons? I plan on unmedicated, and instead using pain management techniques. We found a LOVELY birth center in our area with a team of midwives (and an OB!) that we were comfortable and confident in their abilities. We've hired a doula as well to help us prep and have some extra support for my boyfriend. I'm open minded about a transfer (for safety reasons) but I'm confident with the support system we have that if we end up in the hospital I'll be able to handle it much better.

Have you had an unmedicated/low intervention birth? Feel free to share your story. My first birth experience was awful from the moment I stepped in the hospital. I wasn't able to manage my anxiety until I was home with my newborn, and I've just recently come to terms with what went on. I understand now labor and birth are natural occurrences and can be treated as with a healthy, low risk pregnancy. I was 20 when my DS was born, and very uneducated. I believe a lot of what went on could have been avoided had I simply educated myself.  I had been taken off bed rest (I'd been dilated at 4cm since 32 weeks) just days before my labor started, and my water broke before my contractions started. So I was on the 24hr time limit to deliver before I even figured out what was going on. After 12 hours in the hospital (18 hours after water broke), with constant monitoring and an IV (so pretty much stuck in bed) my labor stalled and they suggested pitocin. After the pitocin was administered my pain levels went from 0-10 with no breaks in between contractions, so I requested an epi and with it came a catheter. My doctor arrived at 7 am, and I gave birth shortly after. It took another couple of hours for the epidural to wear off, and then a couple more hours to feel confident in getting out of bed. This was my first hospitalization, first IV, first hospital experience in general. I was thankful to have my sister with me for some assistance and support, but she was also exhausted after being up with me all night and had her own child to get home too. I realize now things could have been different had I been more aware of how hospitals handle birth (more procedural and preparing for the worst). 

Any recommended reading/podcast/etc?
    I haven't found any worth recommending yet besides the study mentioned above. My doula sent me a recommended reading list and I haven't gotten around to it yet. Just educate, educate, educate. Again, I believe so much of my first experience could have been avoided and managed better by myself had I been more informed.

• Options
    @ashh2018 have you thought about hiring a doula to help with your anxiety? If you’re near a large city, you may even be able to find one that specializes in that
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    @fwtx5815 I am more nervous about delivering the placenta, the uterine massage and the stitching up afterwards than I am about labor. I know everyone is different but it definitely calmed me a little to hear that you didn't find that as painful.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to have an unmedicated/low intervention birth this time.  

With DS (5 years ago this fall) I tried unmedicated and no intervention-- for 28 hours after my water broke, but only made it to 3 cms, so we had to leave the birth center for the hospital for pitocin.  Many hours of pitocin without any pain relief, and at 40 hours after my water broke I was told- epidural or c-section, because at that point I had a high fever and was vomiting anything and everything.  The epidural did help me sleep for 45 minutes and get to 10 cm, then stopped working completely.  

Made it to 10 cm, pushed for 3 hours on full pitocin and with no pain interventions, and my 9.5 pound posterior baby said he wasn't budging.  So I ended up with a c-section.  There were no issues and I will do it again if necessary, but my doctor thinks my VBAC odds are good, so we're just going to let nature do it's thing and if push comes to shove, I'll have another c-section.  
  • Options
    jumpy57jumpy57 member
    edited April 2018
    @fwtx5815 I also don't really remember delivering the placenta (just being sad I didn't get to see it). I think I had a uterine massage but it wasn't too bad. 

ETA @Redpuma119
  • Options
    fwtx5815 I am more nervous about delivering the placenta, the uterine massage and the stitching up afterwards than I am about labor. I know everyone is different but it definitely calmed me a little to hear that you didn't find that as painful.
    Delivering the placenta was no big deal for me, I kind of felt it come out but it wasn't painful and I was snuggling my baby so I was barely paying attention. I do remember that the MW told me it was very large. I didn't have to have stitches. The uterine massage was kind of painful but it wasn't awful; it didn't ever last very long. And I had them do it quite a bit because my uterus wasn't toning up and I was still bleeding quite a bit. I'm not worried about any of that again (except possibly tearing and needing stitches, that sounds very unfun!)
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    I also didn't think the placenta was a big deal. IIRC it practically just fell out.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @eerin86 I also want to see my placenta. As if our bodies weren't already amazing, we also make a new organ.
    I didn't want/care about seeing it last time but I think I do want to see it this time.
  • Options
    I saw my placenta. I wouldn’t mind skipping it this time. It was no big deal to deliver though.
  • Options
    I was going to have them show me the placenta but by the time he was out and they offered, I just didn’t care. It was easy to deliver- more like an after thought. They felt my belly to make sure it was contracting immediately after birth and once a day before discharge, but I never had any painful massages. 
  • Options
    Seeing pictures of a placenta was enough for me. DNW to see one in person even if it's mine. MH watched DS be born and I distinctly remember telling him he did not want to see what came next. That got a laugh from the OB and nurse.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @spottedginger I wonder if my interest in seeing it will wane once I'm holding a baby. I'm super weird and that stuff fascinates me.
  • Options
    I was surprised by 2 things when delivering DD:
    1. I really liked having a mirror so I could see her progress for myself. Reading about that I though ‘eww definitely not!’ But it was really helpful. 
    2. I thought I would want to see the placenta, if only to make sure it came out whole. Once the time came I was too busy looking at my baby, and just asked my doula if it was in one piece. Maybe I’ll take a look this time? It is really cool that our bodies make this whole new organ! 

• Options
    @arbell615 - I watched myself deliver DS with a mirror too!! It was so awesome!! I had never even thought of using one but the nurse asked if I was interested and I said yes thinking I could just not look if I decided I didn't want to. I was so glad she offered and I will ask for one this time if they don't offer first! I found it extremely motivating and helpful being able to actually see my progress pushing.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Options
    @fwtx5815 I told DH not to look too, until the nurse told me she could see DD (before they brought the mirror in) and I didn’t believe her so I made him check!! 
  • Options
    fwtx5815 said:
    You guys are convincing me to do the mirror next time. I was offered it with DS but I figured the pain of crowning would be enough and that the visual would amplify the pain, but maybe I could’ve pushed for less time if I could see progress. 

On a similar note, I told DH ahead of time not to look in that general area while I was pushing but he didn’t listen. :neutral: He watched all of it and was in such awe, but then was too squicked out to cut the cord lol. 
    LOL. MH watched me push out DS then had no wish to cut the cord too!!
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16