June 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps, Nursing Accessories (week of Oct 30)

13»

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps, Nursing Accessories (week of Oct 30)

• @Amphibious22 I don't know anything about Lansinoh pumps, but I've used several of their products and really liked them (milk storage bags, lanolin, and the Therapearl Breast Therapy.) Good luck getting it figured out! Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • @Amphibious22 sorry I also haven't looked into Lanisnoh or Ameda pumps. I think @izza2 was debating on the Ameda Finesse so maybe she can help. 

I will say that I wouldn't pay the $100 for a Spectra upgrade through insurance. They are available on Amazon for like $140 so if you decide you don't like one of the ones you order, you could buy the Spectra on Amazon with your registry completion discount up to 90 days after your due date. 

Also, I love your comment about Medela being too mainstream! I kind of feel the same way. The crazy friend that I have mentioned before that has a stash of like 400 oz of breast milk that she was trying to get me to take has a Medela pump so part of me just wants to get something different than her. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Loading the player...
  • izza2izza2 member
    Lansinoh was covered for me, but when I asked friends for recommendations, no one was able to give me anything about it. And it was the same specs (battery power, flanges, warranty, etc.) as other ones that were being recommended (Spectra, Medela, Ameda), so I just scratched it off the list without looking in to it at all.

I did end up going with the Ameda Finesse because I liked the reviews I read and liked that it came with 6 bottles, 3 sizes of flanges, and a longer warranty, for no extra cost. That was my end-deciding-factor.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• One good thing about being mainstream is the accessibility of parts. You can run to target for additional medela pieces, while Spectra must be purchased online.  
  • @Amphibious22 My insurance covered basically the same options as you.  I loved the hype about the Spectra on this thread but I figured I’d just try the Medela PISA first since it was free and the upgrade cost for the Spectra is the same price as buying the S2 on Amazon, so if I wanted to switch later I could without really losIng anything.  I also could have gotten the Ameda finesse for free but it’s newer and there aren’t too many reviews online for it yet so I just stuck with the Medela.  My favorite provider at my OB recommended that one and like @marcus7676 said, it’s so easy to go into any baby store and find the bits and pieces you need.  I have zero information on the Lasinoh though.
  • I still have my Medela PISA from when DS was born. So this time I decided to go with the Spectra 9 plus, so I could use it on the go (doesn’t have to be plugged into an outlet) and use my Medela (needs to be plugged in) while I’m at home. 

I ordered from Pumpingessentials.com on Tuesday afternoon and got shipping confirmation this morning. 
  • I contacted the two medical device supply companies that my insurance said I could order through, EdgePark and Bryram, to see if the Spectra would be an upgrade cost. Both of them told me that I would have to order the pump and they will contact me if it isn't covered 100%. 

I just hate healthcare stuff. Like why can't you just look up my plan and tell me if they will cover it. I guess I am going to just pick one of the companies and order the Spectra and if it's not covered we'll go from there. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Days later, but thanks for chiming in @kfren @krashke @izza2 @marcus7676 @becca_123. I've thought about it and think I'm still going to go with the Lansinoh even though it's so new. I liked the reviews that I found on it and it comes with the same amount of stuff as the Ameda. And like you all said, if it doesn't work, I can spend the same amount of money I would've spent to get the spectra on Amazon. Also the Lansinoh is available on Amazon, so I can just get extra parts from there, which is what I would prefer to do anyways instead of going to a store. Plus this way, I can be a person who can actually give a review on this pump! Lol. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker