TTC After a Loss

April TWW

Fingers crossed for some spring BFPs!!!

Re: April TWW

• I'm 4DPO today, and I'll be 10DPO on the day we have our initial consult with the RE.  We're supposed to cancel the appointment if I'm pregnant, but we waited almost three months to get it, so I'm hoping I'll be able to hold off on testing and just telling them I'm in the TWW.  At 40, I don't feel like I have time to lose so I want to keep the appointment.
  • 7dpo today. Temps dipped yesterday and a bit more today but still well above CL. FFs new temp trend feature still shows an upward trend though. I need to stop worrying and just remember that we got this extra chance doc said we wouldn't and that alone is lucky. I still want to prove him wrong and be a SS.

@bakerstreetboys I would definitely do everything to keep that appointment. I think, if you logically look at it, you'll be able to convince yourself not to test. I know most logical thought goes flying out the window in the ttw though :joy:
  • Loading the player...
  • @bakerstreetboys my consult with RE was during the TWW I was at 12 DPO.  I had tested negative up to the appt so I had consult and he did an US that day and said he didn’t see any signs of pregnancy.  He gave me a plan moving forward and told me to call when AF arrived.  A week later it had not arrived so I called to get meds to start AF and that afternoon I got a BFP.   Called RE back to let them know thinking they would not see me since they hadn’t actually treated me but they said come on in for beta so I did and I saw them through US where it was determined not viable.  So I guess my point is you Should keep your appt even if you do POAS beforehand just play ignorant in consult lol 
  • I’m 7DPO and temp still rising.  No other signs at this point. I did have this electric wave in my uterus for two days after IUI and I’ve never felt that before.  I’m sure it means nothing I will probably start peeing on cheapies in a couple days 
  • I'm 3 DPO.  My goal this month is to wait till 14 DPO or AF....i doubt that happens...no self control!  Time is moving soooo slow.  
  • @bakerstreetboys I would not disclose to the RE that you're in the TWW or that you've tested +ve if you have. Just go in for the consult and hear what they have to say. I've seen 4 different clinics and each time,  they only gave me the reqs for CD 3 bloodwork and an SHG to do whenever AF came.  Then you go off on your merry way and you don't see them again until all your testing has been done. You can do the testing right away or you can take a few months to do it at your leisure. They don't track you. Also, you'd hate to cancel if you are KU and then heaven forbid miscarry again and have to start the consult process all over again. I got KU before my consult with my current RE but kept the appointment anyway.  By the time my appointment came around,  I was actively miscarrying at my consult. I'm glad I didn't cancel. Even though I was still undergoing treatments with my old RE, I put my name on my current RE'S OHIP funded IVF list just in case (I never told them I was still with my old RE). It's OK to work within the system like this and be your own advocate,  especially when wait times are ridiculous and you're AMA (sorry,  I hate that term but it's something to be cognizant of).
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @Mack2342 I hope your electric wave means something!  That must be a strange feeling. 

@Mack2342 and @prpl11butterfly I definitely plan on keeping my appointment!  If I'm being honest, there's no way I won't POAS before it, and will totally act ignorant in the consult!  Thanks for info on your first appointment; interesting to know that they still followed you even though they hadn't treated you.

• @bakerstreetboys RE said you came to us for help so we will see you through 12 weeks.  It only lasted 6 weeks and they were actually going to do my d & c but because they didn’t have anyone available for a week I elected to have records sent to my OB who could get it done quicker.  I have been with this RE office now for a year.  
  • @tosh24 Thanks.  That's exactly what I was thinking; if I cancel the appointment and miscarry again, it's back to square one and waiting for several months just for a consult.  You have four clinics in or around your city?  We just have one in mine and the next closest if about an hour and a half away (Kingston).  I'm a little bit nervous about meeting with the RE that we've been assigned to; her web ratings aren't great for bedside manner.  Also, I think the OHIP funded IVF wait is around a year long at my clinic!
  • I’m moving over here now, just got the all clear from my RE to start trying again. On BC until next Tuesday then wait for AF and finally WTO!
  • I go here now.  Letrozole seems to have created a nice lining (for me anyway) on its own and a big old follicle that I ovulated yesterday.  Now it's time to distract myself for 13 more days, but who's counting!
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    edited April 2018
    @bakerstreetboys yep, I have almost 20 clinics within a 1 hour drive from my house,  so definitely no shortage around here! I think you have a good plan. If there's an RE you think you would prefer at the clinic, there's no harm in switching. You have to be comfortable worth the doctor you're seeing. There was post on the IF board not too long ago that I commented on about what to expect at your first consult/questions to ask, so I'll see if I can find the link for you since it's way too much to rewrite!

@ccvslp glad you had a good response to the letrozole!

@char245 Good news! 

TFAS since 2012

Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!

• 9 DPO and I had slight temp dip hoping it goes back up tomorrow and stays up! 
  • @tosh24 I will check out the IF board.  20 clinics, that's crazy!  I'm in a big city...maybe I need to start looking into other clinics. Maybe the one I was referred to is just the biggest.
  • @bakerstreetboys

Here is a thread from TTGP with some good suggestions on what questions to ask:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12710304/what-to-ask-at-your-first-re-appointment

Here is a thread with some information on what initial testing to expect:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/90280361#Comment_90280361

TFAS since 2012

• So I’m either 10 or 11 DPO and BFN this morning on FRER.  I’m guessing this cycle will be a bust again.  We are going out tonight with friends and wanted to know so I could have a drink.  
  • Welp, my tww is over and busted so now I go to TWO. Bleh.
  • BFN at 10 DPO. I know it’s early but I’m not feeling it this month. Cramps and sore back started yesterday. More disappointed than I expected to be. At least we have our consult with RE this morning.
  • @bakerstreetboys sorry about the BFN.  I had one too.  It sucks.  I’m about 11 or 12 DPO so I’m pretty sure I’m out.  Very depressing as RE wants to move to next steps which is IVF and I don’t think we will do that.  He did say he would do another IUI since I have meds for it but he said our chances are not increasing at this point.  Good luck this morning with your consult I hope you get a plan 
  • Ugh @Mack2342, @prpl11butterfly, @bakerstreetboys... sorry, girls.  I’m waffling myself knowing I COULD test at the end of this week but the RE doesn’t care about my test until the 17th.  I almost think I’d rather have some hope and get let down all at once next Tuesday but I also have next to no willpower sooooo...
  • @ccvslp I’m the opposite I feel like testing early is gives me an idea that it will be neg but still have a little hope that it could change but then I’m alre prepared for when it doesn’t.  It’s crazy how our brains work now post loss. 
  • @Mack2342 Sorry that you’re in the same boat. This sucks. Will you do another IUI round since you have the meds?  Strange he’d say that your chances aren’t improving...it can’t hurt to try. I’m the same as you with testing early. It feels like a slower let down. 
  • @bakerstreetboys I will do at least one more IUI since I have meds.  So we did 3 rounds is IUI with Just femara when those all failed we added gonal f to the mix and on the 3rd one we got pregnant but then lost it so we went straight back to IUIs with femara and gonal f and this is 3rd one.  RE says that after 3 it’s like going back to natural.  I’m not sure I really buy that.  I also feel like the first two tries after MC my cycles were a little off so I feel like IUIs May have been a bust so that is reason one I want to do more.  #2 I have the meds and #3 it seems like more of the good stuff goes where it’s supposed to with IUI.  TMI but after having my son I feel more or most leaks right out during BD 
  • @Mack2342 That totally makes sense.  Why would it be just like going back to natural?!  Like you said, it's putting stuff where it needs to go!  I'm hoping we'll at least get to have that option. 

Our first RE appointment was anticlimactic as expected.  We waited three months just to meet with a resident and answer some questions, get a bunch of requisitions, and spend three minutes max with the actual doctor.  She told us that we don't fit the definition of infertility because I can get pregnant, but that they'd run the tests anyway.  Gee, thanks.  The resident also mentioned that at 40, 40% of pregnancies end in miscarriage.  I didn't exactly leave feeling hopeful.

• @bakerstreetboys my RE gave me stats like that too.  It is disappointing.  However, I delivered my son at 40 and it was my first pregnancy.  So there def is hope there.  My RE told me I waited too long to see him.  When my son was 5 months old we started trying again but I was nursing so once I stopped him cold turkey my cycle came back regularly and we got KU in 2 months but lost it at 10 wks it took us 9 months to get pregnant again and I had my consult with RE a week before I got a BFP.  He said I should have come at 6 months of TTC because although they know I can get pregnant the goal would be to mature multiple follicles so hopefully one was a good egg and we could catch it.  I didn’t even do any testing other than egg count. Are they going to do any treatments? Or waiting until tests to determine 
  • edited April 2018
    @Mack2342 no talk of any treatments yet, we just have to wait for testing and then results. They didn’t even book a follow up or mention one. I’m definitely going to have to be pushy to get anything done. Very frustrating. The first testing is Day 3 and a baseline ultrasound so that should be early next week. H has to do a SA too. More hurry up and wait but I’m willing to be aggressive in any sort of treatment. Rx for your next IUI. 
    Eta that they took me off progesterone so that the day 21 result is accurate. 
  • @bakerstreetboys I felt the same way after meeting with the RE the first time, just so much waiting! We have the same situation, we can get pregnant but can’t stay pregnant. So they are giving us a couple more months of trying on our own before they want us to move straight to IVF.

@Mack2342 I just don’t understand why they say things like you waited too long... how is that at all helpful at that point??!
  • @char245 hopefully you won’t need to move to IVF but that’s good that they are at least considering it. At 40, I feel like I’m running out of time and would prefer to at least try IUI if not IVF. 
  • @bakerstreetboys I would def push for IUI or IVF

@char245 comments aren’t helpful don’t they know I already wish I had gone earlier 
  • bakerstreetboys Sorry your RE appointment was under-whelming. My first RE told me I was not IF because I could get PG, even though I had RPL. However, other RE's say that being able to get PG, but continually having MCs IS considered IF. 

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• @bakerstreetboys... the doctor run around... don’t i hate it.  It was pretty much a four month process of one procedure leading to another and one thing after another contributing to our half a year wait to try again with my PCOS diagnosis after MC.   Nobody will feel the same urgency as you and if you have to be pushy, do it.  I remember I about lost it when they couldn’t schedule my hysteroscopy until we were in another cycle and when I got a vaccine that we later found out I didn’t even need and was due to lab error... two months there wasted for no good reason.  You’re at the mercy of your cycle with a lot of the blood work but never feel bad for being a squeaky wheel.  It’s YOUR body and your life. 
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    edited April 2018
    @bakerstreetboys Sorry you didn't have a great first consult. They can be anticlimactic for sure. I suggest looking at a calendar and figuring out when you will have all your testing done by and then add a week or so from the last test (depending on what it is) to ensure results will be back, and then call the clinic back today to book a follow up appointment for whatever date you come up with above. If you can get it all done and have your follow up by next CD 1, even better because you may be able to jump into a treatment cycle depending on what your results show. IF treatment is really a patient-driven process. REs will not typically hand hold and tell you when to schedule your next appointment because once you start treatments, all communication is through the nurses anyway. If you want to talk to the doctor or change/adjust your treatment,  it's up to you to make the appointment (and then sit and wait for it....). I suggest booking a couple of them at a time that way you always have one coming up if you need it. I book an appointment with my RE every two cycles so I can talk about what's happened so far and what we're going to do next. I just call the receptionist and pre-book. Don't feel bad about being a bull. You really have to in order to get anywhere. I don't know where you're located but I'm guessing in the east based on your Kingston comment. If you're at OFC, I've heard of a few problems with that clinic so you'll want to stay on top of things and maybe even compare your protocol to others' protocols who have the same dx and are cycling with other clinics. And also, RPL is most definitely included in infertility.  

Edit* typo

TFAS since 2012

• Me: 35 I DH: 38

TFAS since 2012

• Took FRER this afternoon and it’s a BFN.  Tomorrow is day 14 so looks like I’m out
  • @Mack2342 sorry to hear that. :(
  • Thanks @BuckeyeNut05 this one hit hard as we are nearing the end of treatments 
  • Ugh, I'm so sorry @Mack2342 :'(

TFAS since 2012