June 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinion Thursday (3/29)

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday (3/29)

• Here's one: I don't like the Sex in the City movies. I happened to catch the second one recently when it was on VH1 and it is so racist, it made me feel uncomfortable watching it. I'm really hoping they are NEVER able to make a third movie in that series.

Also, the TV series did not age well. Happened to have it playing in the background the other day and Samantha made some comment to Smith about Harvey Weinstein being at the party - MH and I looked at each other wide-eyed and simultaneously commented on how bad it has aged.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't seen an episode of SATC for probably 10+ years.  I'm afraid to ruin my memory of it.  I tried watching Gilmore Girls recently and was so annoyed at the characters (Loreli in particular) that somethings I think it is best not to re-watch shows.  
  • My UO is I think cats are evil. I should preface this by saying I am very allergic to cats also so I've obviously never been a huge fan of them. So my MIL watched our 7 year old partially blind pocket beagle when we went out of town last weekend and when we came to pick her up her left ear had the crap clawed out of it. MIL said she obviously got too close to her cat (who reminds me of those freakin creepy AF Siamese cats from the aristocats) when she went to get water in the middle of the night...I know there are a lot of cat lovers in our group, but I'm sorry I just can't...
  • @momac1919 They know when you're allergic, too! I feel like I could be in a room with 100 people who aren't allergic and if cats were to be unleashed, they would swarm me like "Her. She's the one. Make her eyes itch like they're on fire and sneeze like there's no tomorrow!" 
  • @momac1919 uh oh - this seems like a serious one! I asked MH the other day if we could get one of the hairless cats (we don't know if he's allergic because he's never been around cats). He said no, because they'll suck out our babies' souls. So rude! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had this convo with DH a few nights ago some shows are better when they are syndicated, its usually those always appropriate (anytime, anywhere) shows like seinfield, fresh prince, and friends. Some shows are only good when you’re watching week to week in anticipation like everything on ABC and most dramas (except all the law & orders). I loved sex & the city when i was in high school but I probably haven’t seen it in 8/9 years it’s not something I want to watch again. Like a lot of stuff that’s praised on Netflix isn’t really good its just the fact you can watch it without breaks, but if you had to wait another week for an episode the story line is slow and character development is either weak, too predictable or all over the place that you’d easily lose interest after a couple weeks. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @austenista Part of me wonders if it's some preternatural sense or if they're just AWs who are not down with being ignored. 
  • Austenista  Austenista member
    edited March 2018
    @kfren yes. both. I have become a cat person over the years. I like that they aren't needy like my dogs are, that they mostly leave me alone unless they decide they want/need something. I can leave them for days and they're cool. All that appeals. BUT that said, they can be annoying AF if they decide they want something or you don't want them in something or around someone. They know you don't want them to do something and therefore nothing will dissuade them and nothing will please them more than to annoy you. My male cat loves to be yelled at and be a nuisance. I think it is the delight of his life. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ffw0617 but you’re criticizing things that are part of the way tv used to be because of technology vs how it is now because of how technology has allowed us to watch it. Shows now are created explicitly for marathoning. Shows before had no idea marathoning would ever exist so they created them almost as stand alone episodes. I don’t think they need to be successful by the other’s rubric. 
  • May14th2011May14th2011 member
    edited March 2018
    DH is allergic to cats but in the last week has been asking for one. I loveee cats but have never had one so I'm doing research on them and considering getting one. I love dogs too, but need something less needy, lol. 

I had a really good UO but now I can't remember what it is. Stupid pregnancy brain lol!

Edited for spelling/grammar because I have the dumb lol
  • @LaceyBee522 YH sounds like me. MH is both a cat and dog person and asks me regularly if we can get a kitten. My response is always the same - no I'm allergic and kittens grow up into cats and cats are evil...at first I think he was sad about it now I think he just finds my hate for cats to be funny because there are really very few animals in this world that I'm not a huge softy for 
  • @kfren I'm convinced that cats will go to the one person who doesn't want their attention.
  • @momac1919 +1 to hating cats! I'm not even allergic. My childhood BFF had two cats and whenever I was there, they'd hiss and stalk me. And one time one of them bit me, not hard enough to draw blood but it was at that point where I decided that I'd never be a "cat person". 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • +1 to FB

Not sure if this is a UO or not but mine is that I prefer when shows come out week to week vs entire season at once on Netflix. I miss the fun of guessing what will happen next and being able to dicuss it with friends/social media. When the whole season comes out at once it's like you can't talk to anyone about it unless you've finished it and I never finish them in a day like a lot of others do. By the time I finished Stranger Things S2 everyone had moved on to another show and no one wanted to talk about it anymore. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @doxiemoxie212. Agreed but with those Netflix shows when someone says its “good” they usually mean it ended good or the overall message was good. For example that seven seconds is horrible. Characters all over the place, they tried to tackle EVERY social issue in 12 episode but all you see on social media is how good it is. 
  • @ffw0617 was that critically acclaimed tho? Or you just mean a friend liked it? I thought you meant the former (like shows critics say are v good on Netflix, and my opinion is they generally are). So I agree that it’s easy to get into a show that’s not actually good when it’s serialized. 
  • Even with Netflix I never have time to binge watch shows anymore, so if I'm lucky I'll see two back to back episodes in a day, and then not watch for 3 or 4 days.  But I can't do real time TV either because I'm never home/have relaxing time during a consistent day/time to obligate that time to a TV show.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @Amphibious22 I'm with you on the eating habits. I figure as long as I keep exercising, I'm generally okay. Although, I'm already thinking about what kind of diet I will do after babies come. 

Bringing it back to the Facebook thing: do we want to discuss that seriously at this point? Or are we thinking this should wait until after babies come? I know that was a consensus at one point. I'm not sure if that still stands.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • And I'm neither plus or minus FB.  I'll move when others do (if you guys want me there).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • +1 to moving to fb whenever. 
  • @kfren I thought fb would be a secret group, invite only, etc. 
  • @kfren Yes, but only if we have pretend fights about it on said board. Lol! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 I feel like it's inevitable for someone we don't know to ask for an invite and I just think it would be fun to direct them somewhere else. Maybe I'm a mean girl.
  • izza2izza2 member
    kfren said:
    @doxiemoxie212 I feel like it's inevitable for someone we don't know to ask for an invite and I just think it would be fun to direct them somewhere else. Maybe I'm a mean girl.
    This is hilarious AF!!
    I wish someone could find a webpage that was literally a trolling face and like "lololol, jkjk, no." That would be hilarious!

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• @doxiemoxie212 no I’m not talking about shows like stranger things & OITNB, most of the others though. I appreciate them for what they are, great ways to spend the weekend inside eating snacks. But I’m no on fb bragging how good the series I just finished is. 
  • +1 to FB. Probably easier to love before just because we would have more time to organize / vet. 

@Amphibious22 every time you talk about your job I’m so jealous. 
  • edited March 2018
    @izza2 I'm sayin'! Set it up to look legit and give 'em tedious rigamarole (or hokum, if you will)  just to see if anyone will go that far* and then when they get "approved," womp womp. 

*ETA: If they could do it for a FB page, they could have participated in this forum. 
  • I liked the first SATC movie but I think it's widely accepted that the second was total garbage.

On the TV theme, I have been so excited for many of the old TV reboots in the last couple of years but haven't liked any of them (I'm looking at you Fuller House, Gilmore Girls, Will and Grace, Roseanne). I think the 90s sitcom style just doesn't translate well to today? Will and Grace isn't bad, but I hate all the Trump references (same with Roseanne, from ep 1 anyway). I'm watching cheesy tv to escape this nightmare we're living in. Stop reminding me! 

Also, I don't really like cats...and all the talk of cleaning up cat pee only reinforces that opinion ;)

And yes to FB before babies! I'm hesitant to share details here...I'm not so scared of stranger danger but of someone I know seeing what I post (which is why I never chime on any of the saucy threads! haha)