June 2018 Moms
Options

Questions?? w/o 3/26

Re: Questions?? w/o 3/26

• Options
    @mytinc I'm about 20 minutes from the hospital. I was thinking the bag might be helpful if I'm away from home and need someone to just grab it from my house.

I would also note, I have no idea what should really go in that bag aside from toiletries, clean undies, and some comfy PJs plus outfits for the kiddos. I think we had a thread about this way back, but I can't remember. Am I dreaming this?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think there was a thread @LaceyBee522 , but I can't recall if it was part of STM advice to FTMs or somewhere else. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 I've started packing it in my head lol but not in reality. But I'm also literally two blocks from the hospital, so if we forget anything it's really easy to have DH or my mom or his mom go grab it. I think I'm more likely to start making a physical list of everything we want (to make it easier for someone else to grab if needed) than to actually pack anything super far in advance. ...But then ask me again at like 35 weeks, and I bet the bag is packed lol. 
  • Options
    I realize I'm probably thinking about a hospital bag way too early. I've just started to hear so much about twins coming early and it is making me paranoid. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Better to think about it early and be prepared and not end up needing it for a while than not be prepared and having another added stress as you're going into labor
  • Options
    Austenista  Austenista member
    edited March 2018
    @LaceyBee522 I'm not someone who can pack ahead of time for anything because if I'm going to be needing it, I need it every day as well. What I did was create a check list in my notes app for the hospital bag. With that list, I can pack for myself, or share it with someone else like DH if it came to that and they could pack it for me. I used it to pack twice, one emergency situation that was like "go home and come right back" and another planned (actual go time situation) and that was what worked best for me. And yeah, now that we're here in the 3rd trimester I'm going to say it's not too early for anything anymore. :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a list (in google docs obvi) going for the hospital bag. There are going to be some things that I need to buy yet so I'm holding off a little bit. But worse case scenario, I have the list so I can send MH home with the list to get everything if the bag isn't packed yet. The list is very detailed like not just "comfy pants" but "floral lose lounge pants" or "black bralette with the lace straps" that way he would know exactly what I want. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    LaceyBee522LaceyBee522 member
    edited March 2018
    @krashke I love that you're packing a black bralette with lace straps!

Edited bc spelling matters. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 I'm usually all about gender neutral for the first. But I'm team rose on this one!

@laceybee522 I don't have a bag started yet. But I have my list ready and I'm going to start gathering little things like toiletries and start making a 'pile' to start a bag in a few weeks. Half the stuff we throw in would be last min things anyway.. our clothes, chargers etc. Same with DS' bag for grandma's house. No reason to think i'll go early but ya know, even just having some stuff together makes me feel better.

me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    Roses!!!  I got everything girly for DD, and it really isn't that big of a deal replacing some of it with blue things for this little guy.  I have all the big things, so it doesn't feel like such a burden to replace the pink stuff this second time around. 
  • Options
    @2589 Haha, I legit laughed out loud at that!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes @2589 What a man thing to pack a thong! 
  • Options
    There hasn't been a hospital bag themed STM advice thread. Maybe it was somewhere else?

AFM I feel like a special snowflake on this. 
     Hospital bags are something I don't plan. I just pack a quick bag before I head to the hospital. It's not too different from packing for the gym when I plan to shower after workout.

When I pack for a vacation I do extremely detailed lists with category breakdowns. I'm not sure why I'm so laid back about hospital stays. Maybe it feels less complicated to me because I'll mostly be laying in bed in a hospital gown with disposable underwear whereas on a vacation I'll be doing different activites and will need different outfits and items. 

• Options
    @LaceyBee522 it’s comfy and a plunge neck so I can use it for nursing lol
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @llamamama14 et al, we have a hospital bag product spotlight scheduled not next week but the week after. Want me to move it to next week? We'd be bumping baby gear. 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 What does baby gear include? Regardless I don't have a preference about the order. I'll let others chime in.
  • Options
    @llamamama14 that's how I do it. I'm not wearing real clothes until I leave the hospital, so why bring more than one set? 
    Tbh, with DD, I left the hospital in the same clothes I went in with- despite my csection. With DS, I asked DH to bring my sweats, but I could have left in maternity pants no problem. 
    I'll probably bring more stuff this time because this hospital has no cell service at all inside so I'll need something to occupy me. 
  • Options
    I have a list of things for my hospital bag. I way overpacked last time.  I didn’t touch half of the stuff I brought including all my snacks and entertainment. My goal is to be packed by 36 weeks. 
  • Options
    @May14th2011 yeah I think I actually remember doing that (wearing the same clothes home) with my 1st. We didn't think it was the real deal so we didn't even bring the carseat or baby clothes with us. I do remember the specific floral print tote bag I was carrying when leaving for the hospital but I'm now wondering WTF I put in the bag if I didn't bring the above mentioned essentials lol.
  • Options
    What exactly does one deliver in? I've seen it mentioned to bring old clothes that you don't mind ruining, but then others say you wear hospital gowns. Is there typically a choice?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lisa2589lisa2589 member
    edited March 2018
    @silvergreen I switched to a gown when I got the epidural- they need to be able to get the back open for that. They couldn’t have cared less what I was wearing before that point. I do know you can buy your own hospital style gown if you’re worried about how it looks in pictures and such. I believe kindred bravely has one, I can’t remember any of the other websites that do off the top of my head. 

ETA: keep in mind you want something to also have easy access in the front for skin to skin and nursing as soon as you deliver also.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With an induction I had on a hospital gown from the beginning, since they put in IVs and such.

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
  • Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    @LaceyBee522 most twin moms I know had c sections scheduled about a month before their due dates.  Usually one twin doesn't cooperate and stays breach from the lack of space- and dr prefer to do scheduled c sections early so you don't go into labor and need an emergency c section.  With that in mind you as our twin Mom should probably be packed and ready by 34 weeks.  

I have recently been thinking about packing, but I probably won't do it until 36 weeks.  Still plenty of time to procrastinate.  

On the hospital bag, I'll save my "this is what I'll bring" but I do want to reiterate that less is more for the hospital bag.  You want to leave room for all the goodies you get at the hospital- blankets and hat for baby.  Diapers... pack up all of the diapers both for baby and you.  Mesh underwear, ice packs, dermoblast spray, squeeze bottled, big cup.... all of it.  If it enters your hospital room it is yours- they will just throw it out once you are discharged so take it... and leave room in your bag for it.

for the hospital gown,  the hospital I had DD at had me change immediately into a gown, before I was even in a labor and delivery room I was in a gown.  I'm having this one at a different hospital so not sure what the policy will be.  If you are concerned you can ask during your maternity tour or ask your OB during any of the increasingly frequent appointments.  I had no issues with the gown and can't imagine not wearing one again this time.

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    My hospital has you get in a gown as soon as you check into your L and D room. I've never asked to wear my own robe so I don't know if they would care.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger my OB office provided a grid of OTC approved meds for a variety of issues. I just looked at what they listed for allergies and Claritan is their choice, however it does specify not D.... As in no to Claritan D! Run it past your OB but that should be good and hopefully prevent the drowsiness from Benadryl!
  • Options
    My two cents - 
    My nearly 3 yo daughter has been super into all the breastfeeding for my sister's newborn - surely pick a word you like, because you'll hear it often. "Paige needs your boobs" "is there enough milk in your boobs?" Etc. Etc. Also, she thinks my nipples are beautiful.  :D

Hospital bags - keep note going so that I can add (and delete) stuff as I read/think about them. But, I am a strange duck and get into "real clothes" asap after delivery because it helps me feel more normal. 

Delivery apparel- for both my hospital deliveries I switched into a gown when admitted to L&D. 
  • Options
    I didn’t actually know until today which hospital I was giving birth at (long, dramatic story... Tl:DR - insurance companies are stupid), so yeah, the hospital bag is definitely not packed. 

Check Pinterest though. I’ve seen several common sense lists there that are fairly popular. Steal all the mesh underwear that you can!!

I was in a hospital issued gown for most of the time. Too swollen for anything else.
  • Options
    I wore a hospital gown with DD but I didn’t have time to change into one with DS. I gave birth in a maxi dress. Post labor I wore nursing tanks and those lovely mesh panties. I think I went home in maxi dresses both times. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    +1 to hospital having you change into a gown as soon as you were admitted...but as soon as we were moved into our recovery room, comfy post maternity pants and a nursing tank were put on immediately. I will say I used their mesh undies for quite a few days afterwards bc they were more comfortable than mine and I didn't care if they got destroyed
  • Options
    Agreed, shower as soon as you're allowed bc it really is amazing how much better it will make you feel
  • Options
    @silvergreen I wore a gown the whole time at the hospital.  I had a catheter until I was discharged (so no pants) and the nurses needed easy access to examine my tear / healing.  Given how messy things were, I can't imagine putting on pants / nice(r) clothes or anything beyond the hospital gown.  Honestly, I only got out of bed a few times because of the cath.  At some point, I put on a nursing bra and a robe.  
  • Options
    Post CSection they had put a huge bandage over the incision area. The bandage, erroneously in my mind, was what was holding everything together. Nurse kept telling me I needed to shower and pull off that bandage in the shower. That sounded like a very crazy idea to me. Finally, she talked me into it, mostly by threatening to do it for me. Removing it made things feel a lot better. Also, they used staples and getting those removed a week later was magical in how much better I felt. I mentioned to DH how much better I felt so many times I think he asked me to stop. 

While washing, if you’re squeamish, I don’t recommend feeling of the incision area for a while. It reminded me of two thick slices of ham glued together. Just...resist the urge to feel around. This does not last forever and I can’t even feel where it was now. 

Epidural was no big deal and helped tremendously. Same with catheter. It was never painful to insert or remove.

+1 to mesh panties are life. I ordered more from Amazon when the stash I had from the hospital ran out.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @austenista +1 to everything you said. I would like to add though that I wish I had let a nurse check the bandage first. I was unaware that it had already fallen off and ended up pulling out my steristrips instead. I briefly wished for death. 
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 We're doing the hospital bag in early May - shortly after the baby shower - more so we have it done. It'll probably sit in the baby's room for a few weeks, unless we clean our place. Then it'll be on the main level off to the side lol

It's crazy to even be thinking about the hospital bag!
  • Options
    I have no stress about the hospital bag because last time I went to the hospital with literally nothing because I thought I was just peeing myself rather than leaking amniotic fluid, and it really wasn't a big deal. You don't need much! 
  • Options
    Both DS1 and DS2 were born in the afternoon/evening (4:48 pm and 6:18 pm), so I stayed in the hospital gown overnight.  The next morning I showered and dressed in real clothes.  If you had an IV they won't remove the needle (hep-lock) from your hand until discharge, even if there's nothing attached to it (in case of emergency so they don't have to do another IV).

First Son - born 2013