Chit Chat

Grief Support

This is something I really need and thought maybe other ladies would need something like this too. This is a thread to provide a safe space of thoughtful conversation and support for those who have lost family, friends, significant others, etc. No trigger warnings need to be added in here unless you really feel it's necessary. 

**This is a general trigger warning that death, disease, bodily functions, and / or loss from suicide may be mentioned in here.** 

Introduce yourself and anything you think is important: number of loss(es), who you lost, when you had the loss(es), diagnosis / conditions / circumstances surrounding the loss, etc.

Status (what stage of grief do you feel like you're in this week?):

How are things going? What is something that you are struggling with this week? What is going well for you this week? R/R?

GTKY: Two part question. (a) What sort of support system do you have? (b) What do you do to cope with grief?
People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
IVF
IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
Back on Levothyroxine
FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
1st Beta on 7dpt 93
2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

Re: Grief Support

• Me: 31 I DH: 31
    Met: 9/8/08; Engaged: 9/8/11; Married 6/30/12
    TTC#1: 8/2013; BFP: 9/30/13; born June 2014 (boy)
    TTC#2: 2/2018; BFP: 2/26/18; MC 4/4/18.
    TTC#2: 4/2018; BFP: 5/12/18; EDD: 1/19/19 (boy)
    2 fur babies: Oakley Marley (11.5) & Ava Lynn (2)

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend and dad @suzycupcake.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • @holly321 and @coco2787, this would be us around a fire right now. I'm so glad you decided to join me <3

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• @coco2787, you must have been posting as I was typing. I am sorry for you losses.  Suicide is such a horrible situation.  I again, can not imagine losing a parent.  I think we need to make a pact that we will both start seeing therapists.  
  • I should have included the TTCAL group in my support system category.  I cant imagine going through this without those ladies  <3

@holly321 that’s a good idea, I always do better when I’m being held accountable.  I’m so sorry about your brother as well, suicide is truly one of the worst things to experience.  So much guilt/sadness/anger/confusion associated with it.  I can’t imagine losing a sibling or seeing my parents go through that pain.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • @oaklandava, I am sorry for you loss.  That is too much for anyone is such a short amount of time.  I can't imagine being so young, ye the oldest in your family.  Do you otherwise have a lot of family?
  • I’m so sorry @oaklandava I can’t even imagine how hard it is to have both your parents gone at such a young age. 

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • @holly321 No, my mom and dad's family are pretty much gone. I do have my husband's family though---and they are fabulous. Thank you <3

@coco2787 thanks :) It's not easy, but you know, we're all here and dealt different hands. We just do the best we all can <3
    Me: 31 I DH: 31

BabyGaga
  • @holly321 @oaklandava @coco2787

Do you ladies want this to be a daily thread or a weekly? I know we have many other dailies and weeklies going on. I don't know about you, but just this initial helped me to feel emotions today that I haven't felt in awhile so I want to thank you again for joining me. This is not easy for any of us <3 Maybe it can be a weekly thread with a list of questions and then throughout the week, we can share memories and support each other. What do you think?

I broke down crying on the phone with my mom a little while ago. It seems like every little thing reminds me of him, even when I'm eating a meal that I think he would've enjoyed. 

Last night, I was fixing my dog's tshirt because it was wrinkled under her. It immediately reminded me of when I would fix every clothing and bedding wrinkle for my dad to make him more comfortable. It made me tear up. He'd get so mad at me but then would go on and on how it's so neat how something that simple can make a world of a difference. 

This morning, I was thinking about when my dad could barely get out of bed to use the commode anymore. He sat up and didn't make it, went all over the side of the bed and on the floor. My dad was a very private man. At first, I didn't want to run in there because I feared him feeling embarrassed, but I did. I brought him a soapy water basin, a fresh wash cloth, a fresh pair of underwear and sweatpants. I left the room. He couldn't do anything about it. I remember that moment vividly, when I decided that his comfort and quality of life was more important than his private nature. 

I marched in there, cleaned him up, changed his clothes, and changed the bed while he was in the bed. He was so damn mad at me and shouted the entire time. He was the most stubborn man I've ever known. I was very firm with him in tone, looked at him dead in the face and said, "Daddy, you're gonna listen to the enemy right now and get mad at me, but my daddy will lay in a soiled mess over my dead body!" I had never seen his mouth shut so quickly. When I was finished, he was so comfortable that it made him forget any upset that he experienced. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• In 2012, I lost my father to suicide. I know he was going through issues with his health, his trucking business was struggling as usual, and he was just generally sounding sad the last time I spoke to him. He was always laughing and smiling and joking with everyone his whole life, so I truly never saw it coming. He died before I started IVF treatments, so never met his granddaughter... sometimes I wonder if things would be different if he could have met her.  The note he left did not explain anything, so honestly I still have no idea what he was really going through to drive him to do such a thing.

I would say that I am still sort of in denial. I really feel like I need therapy to confront it, but I just don't see the point. I have sort of become numb to it. Like, it makes me sad, but I just block it out and I feel okay again so long as I don't dwell on it, if that makes sense.
  • suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited March 2018
    @cseley321 I'm glad you chose to join us and thank you for sharing. It makes perfect sense actually and I think others here can relate to that. I know that I can. It's gut wrenching. My mama said today that when I do have a baby, she will kiss him/her and say, "grandma and grandpa loves you so much" I could not stop crying and it made me realize again how I won't be able to buy that silver lure that says, "New fishing buddy coming soon" on it to give to him. So sorry <3 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake  I am good with whatever you guys want. <3 I'm understand where you are coming from with the quality of life thing. My mom was the same. I think that's why I didn't know my dad was sick--he hid it so well so he could die privately. Truly I think he knew. In October of 2013, we had my mom's memorial cookout. Dad had put it off and we got into a fight because I told him that she wanted it to be a celebration. I would plan it, he just needed to come. Finally he begrudgingly agreed. We told him I was pregnant with my son, and he was excited, but not like I expected. I chalked it up to him being shocked, and moved on. Then when he died 3 weeks later, I realized he was excited but that he knew he wouldn't be here to see it. Now, with baby #2, it's just another reminder that they won't ever get to meet him. Dad would have LOVED my son so much, they're so much alike. I hear him talking to them though at times, and he recognizes them by picture even though we never explained who they were. So, I think they're around.

@cseley321 I'm so sorry. I understand the feeling like you need therapy, but then not sure if there's a point. Even as a psychology major, I see how it impacts my life, but I don't see how anybody else can help with it if that makes sense.

BabyGaga
  • @oaklandava We had a celebration of life party too because my dad said he didn't want any of that "sad funeral shit". He was such a funny man. My sister and I planned the whole thing. The entire time, she and I hid out at the bar because people were coming up to us saying, "Aunt so and so is here. You haven't seen her in awhile so please visit with her." or sharing about their problems in life, or whatever. Everything but saying anything about our dad and that they felt sympathy for us. We set up a card basket that everyone was aware of was to be for my mom (THE WIDOW) but only one person gave her one. It was her landlord! 

Anyway, I felt so bad we hung out at the bar doing shots the whole night (I'm not a huge drinker but have been since last July) but ffs, wtf is wrong with people?

You and I have already messaged about this, but I'm so sorry again for the loss of both of your parents. I cannot imagine. I've been a complete freak about my mom's health ever since. I hope she knows it's because I love her.

Awww, my heart. That's so beautiful that your lo talks to them <3<3<3<3 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake Hah, sounds like my mom and dad. I don't want that sappy shit. "You get you a keg and have a pig roast and you remember my damn life!" Our parents should have been friends lol! Drinking doesn't solve it, but it does numb it to a certain degree I feel like. Thanks love--I'm sure she does know <3 Moms are intuitive like that. 

I love that he talks to them. It gets me some days :) He has my mom's eyes. I hope this LO has my dad's eyes. It would be awesome to be able to see them in a way.

BabyGaga
  • @oaklandava I bet they would've been great friends. Your parents sound like they were really down to earth and fun to be around.

This is a family photo of all of us from 1995. My mom is top left and my sister is top right

This is my mom and dad several years ago. This is my favorite of them. Their love for each other was so amazing to witness!

This is a photo of my mom and dad at the Moonstock festival last August. The Do It For The Love foundation paid VIP for all of us to go see Ozzy bark at the moon during the total eclipse. We were in the path of totality and it was amazing. 

This is all of us with Ozzy. I was having a pseudo flare that day of MS because the weather was so hot. Watching my dad, the one who had cancer, power through the day and enjoy himself inspired me to do the same. He was such an inspiring man to me! We didn't tell Ozzy he had cancer. In that moment, my dad got to shake his hand and be the man who didn't have cancer. At some point, I will share the interview questions and answers that my dad did with the foundation afterward. What he said was so beautiful! I shaved the cancer ribbon in the side of my head which my dad said was, "cool as shit" lol We all shaved a part of our heads in honor of him. I'm crying now.

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake Same. <3 I love those pictures and your memories. Thank you for sharing. It's amazing how much memories can stir up in us. 

BabyGaga
  • jenrn1216jenrn1216 member
    edited March 2018
    I am so sorry for all of your losses. It's so hard and changes us in many ways. I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer 3 years ago. It's such an awful disease. I was his main caregiver and watched him decline so rapidly in just a few short months. Some days I still can't believe it. He was such a strong man, and to see him so weak and frail just broke me. The only thing I am grateful for is that nothing was left unsaid and I he left this world peacefully, while I held his hand. The hardest thing I struggle with is that he never had grandchildren and if I have children of my own, they will never know him. He would have been an awesome grandfather! 

Life works in mysterious ways. 2 years after he passed I was offered an RN position in oncology. This job basically fell into my lap and I feel so lucky to be able to care for those who are on such an emotional journey. Pretty sure my dad had a lot to do with that! 

I have an amazing husband who is my rock. He has been with me through everything. Losing myself in the care of others is ironically therapeutic for me, as well. 
  • @suzycupcake, I think weekly is a good idea.  Your story about you helping your dad is so touching and heartbreak.  
    @cseley321, I am sorry for the loss of your dad.  My mom tried to commit suicide when DS was a baby, and while I never vocalized it, I remember being upset that he wasn't enough to help.  I understand completely were you are coming from with being numb/sad and just pushing back the feelings, which I do, but I also see the bad reprecussions of it, like memory flashes and such.

After my brother's funeral, my aunt had a lunch for the family, it was at her restaurant/bar.  She kept giving my dad drinks, it was such an odd emotional state, he was so drunk and we were all laughing and sharing stories, but when we got back home, I can still hearthe sound of my dad sobbing uncontrollably, my husband had to help him in the house.  

• suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited March 2018
    @holly321 I'm so sorry to hear that about your mom. I'm sure that hasn't been easy at all on top of losing your brother. How horrible it was for your church community to do that to you guys. It just breaks my heart and I hope that you guys have found a new one since then. I'd understand if you haven't yet. That would certainly keep me away from church for a long while. Hugs.

@jenrn1216 Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm sorry about what happened to your dad. I totally relate when you said, "He was such a strong man, and to see him so weak and frail just broke me. The only thing I am grateful for is that nothing was left unsaid and I he left this world peacefully".

And oh my heart! <3 One of the biggest blessings while my father was going through treatment and hospice care, were the nurses who could really empathize because they had been through it themselves. I cannot even begin to describe how comforting that was. Bless your heart!

Coco, I won't tag you because it's your birthday today. Hopefully you'll see this tomorrow instead. How are you doing? I was just thinking about you. I'm so sorry that you lost your mom at such an early and important stage of life. It's wrong to ever lose a mom, but I would think that is especially cruel. I can relate to the shitty Christmas part as well as when you said, "
    it’s hard not to feel angry and bitter sometimes over everything that’s happened to me." I'm so sorry for the losses of your babies  :'( I wish you peace and comfort this week, and the words to tell yh that you need him. Hugs <3 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @holly321 Sorry about your mother.  I can't imagine what she must have been going through, but I'm glad that she didn't go through with it.  My dad never made any attempts or showed any kind of signs that he would do it, he just woke up one morning and did it.  I just wish that at some point he would have snapped out of whatever he was going through and decided not to do it, but that just wasn't the case.

Regarding your Aunt, I can definitely relate.. people who are sort of on the outside have no idea what to do to help in situations like this and often times things just sort of backfire without them ever knowing.