July 2018 Moms

Should I still register at Babies R Us?

2»

Re: Should I still register at Babies R Us?

• Just saw an article that all U.S. stores are closing. It's a little confusing though because the article only referred to toys r us, not babies r us. Also no time frame was given as to when. 

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/03/toys-r-us-closing-all-700-u-s-stores/
  • Confirmed that all stores will be closing in 60 days.
  • Loading the player...
  • ok we headed to one last night and it was a crap show - completely picked over already and pretty much only floor samples left of strollers, bikes, cars, etc.  We ended up only getting a mattress cover (but no new mattresses) and 2 packs of Gerber "essentials" onsies for new baby...but DD made out like a bandit with books and a fisher price princess castle and a trike (which will be hidden until her birthday).  This was a joint TRU and BRU but there was ZERO baby stuff left - some crib sets and furniture but i didn't see a single boppy cover.  We'll try another BRU by DH's work just after they officially announce it's closing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Has anyone been to a BRU that is not on the original list of closing stores and found there to be markdowns? Just wondering because the one that is easy for me to get to and near other errands I have to do this weekend is not on that original list, and wondering if I should go out of my way to check out one that is on that original list. 
  • zande2016 said:
    Has anyone been to a BRU that is not on the original list of closing stores and found there to be markdowns? Just wondering because the one that is easy for me to get to and near other errands I have to do this weekend is not on that original list, and wondering if I should go out of my way to check out one that is on that original list. 
    +1 to this. Hubster and I plan on making some rounds this weekend.
  • I just asked my girlfriend who mentioned she went to a TRU that wasn't closing (yet) - she said "some. not many. more clearance tags than usual on the shelves" - but not the same level of discounts....BUT like i said the ones that have announced are pretty picked clean so balance deals over selection with waiting.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • cseley321cseley321 member
    edited March 2018
    I am planning on going to one today or tomorrow that wasn't on the list and I will report back

ETA: meh, I just called instead and the person told me sales haven't started yet and as of now there is no ETA
  • On Friday, I went to a BRU that had been on the original closure list. It was decently picked clean, but there was still a decent amount left. Clothes were only 30% off (and carters had a better sale this weekend anyway). Some stuff was completely gone, some had a lot left. It looked like they had brought some toys r us toys in to fill some of the shelves.  Some stuff is only a little percent off, but some was more, like 50%.  They had signs that said "last 14 days".  I got a halo sleepsack for $12 and a few other small things.  
    Yesterday, DH and I went to a different BRU that had not been on the original closure list. They didn't have any signage about going out of business and there were no sales. 
  • nimmlenimmle member
    edited March 2018
    I went to 3 different BRUs on Saturday. Nothing much. Everything they had was basically 20% off and either the price was the same or more than BBB (where you can use all those lovely 20% off coupons). I'd rather go to BBB and get the color/exact model I want for the same price or less than what they had at BRU. Disappointment.
  • The toys r us and babies r us near us begin liquidation on thursday due to the recent news of toys r us closing.
  • I read a quote from one of their executives that they're keeping the registry option online and their website for now, hoping that someone will want to buy it and forklift/keep people's registries.  Otherwise everything that everyone said is true - all closing, 30 days for gift cards.  

I went to a normal, non-closing shared TRU/BRU this weekend to use a gift card and there were no sales at all outside normal.  We have a local store closing and a local mom shared this morning that tomorrow morning everything will be 50-70% off and all TRU/BRU inventory is being moved today into the BRU store.  But I've also heard it's very picked over.  I plan to try to look in the morning.
  • went to local BRU that was not on the original list last night (decided a couple things getting the exact thing we wanted was better than picked over pieces).  It was clear they were prepping for the big going out sales as there were black-friday-esque piles of big box items set up in random areas and down the main hallways.  I asked the cashier and she stated it would probably start Friday or Saturday.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Took a trip to the BRU by my work, which was not on the original list. Walking in and it looks like business as normal. They are pretty fully stocked and prices are their normal higher end. No signs of any upcoming sales or specials, either. @kissableviv This is the one at TMP. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• There are signs up at all of our local BRU & TRU stating that there is no expected start date for liquidation sales.  They definitely didn't start today as was speculated.

I went to a closing BRU earlier this week and I really don't think I got a "good" deal on anything.  Everything was either marked up or full price, then with a discount between 10-40% off.  I basically feel like I paid about the same as I would have if I bought the items at Amazon or Target.  I actually noticed a tube of sunscreen that I bought on Amazon for $12.99 was marked up to $24.99 then 30% off.  INSANE!  
  • Yeah I'm pretty much over stalking TRU/BRU for deals.  Both of my local stores aren't doing any of the liquidation sales yet, and the prices online are still higher (even on clearance... they have stuff on clearance that is literally marked off 1 penny from full price??)

I think I'm done holding out for the few things I wanted to pick up... I'll just wait for a good amazon sale since it seems like if ANYTHING, prices are worse than normal at BRU.
  • Per this article, liquidation sales will not start until at least Friday....

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Thanks @zombiehoohaa for letting me know. I'll check out the San Antonio one and see what's up!
  • Went to the TRU near work and mostly all 10% off. Some baby clothes at 20%. Got DS a few toys. I think my major score was on plain white onesies that were already down 50% plus the added 10%. I need to go to BRU to see what they have. Most baby items were still regular price here.
  • Went to ours today. The sale has technically started but everything was only 10% which is basically sales tax for us...also I need at least 30% off something otherwise I can easily buy whatever it is at BBB with a 20% coupon...realllllllllllyyyy hoping to score a toddler bed as we’re about to kick DS1 out and convert his bed back to a crib. 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Idk if it was my internet connection but you can’t seem to search locations in their website. 
  • Everything was 10% off, except cribs weren’t on sale yet and of course bath wash, lotions, diaper cream, diapers, etc were not on sale. Clothes, mittens, socks, and headbands were 20% if. I got a few outfits. The cashier told my sister in law that she thinks they’ll raise the % off next weekend. 
  • I hit up a BRU this weekend and was able to get a few things. We only got things that were 30% off. Strollers were definitely still not more than 20% off, but I found the Ergo 360 (2016 version - Sold for $179.99 at buy buy baby) for $29.99!
  • I went to a Babies R Us this weekend that was not on the original list of closing stores - plenty of merchandise left, but almost everything was only 10% off - totally not  worth it, especially since you can use a 20% off coupon at BBB, or find cheaper on Amazon. Some clothes were 20% off, but even then, I feel like you can get a better deal buying directly from Carter's or using a Kohls coupon. The sign outside said everything in store was 10-30% off, but I did not see anything that was 30% off in this particular store. I will go back at some point since I am sure they'll mark things down more as time goes on, but as of now, not many bargains to be had. I guess you have to hit it at just the right time, when there is still merchandise left but the sales have been increased to a point where you can get a deal. 
  • Visited my third BRU/TRU and this one had more baby items. Lucked out with ergobaby for $89 and normally goes for at least $145. Existing clearances plus mark downs seem to be the way to go with these sales.