August 2018 Moms

High Risk Pregnancy Check-In 03/20

How far along are you?

Why are you high-risk?

Any additional monitoring or testing this week?

Rants/Raves/Questions?

GTKY: Are you usually early or late?
Me: 36 years old   DH: 42 years old
Married: 05.2012  
TW:
TTC #1 Since April 2016
HSG/FSH/AMH/E2/SA all normal DX: unexplained IF

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
spontaneous BFP 01/02/2018  EDD Aug 30th  It's a GIRL!
Cerclage placed on 03/02BabyFruit Ticker  Cerclage removal 08/02

Re: High Risk Pregnancy Check-In 03/20

• How far along are you?
    16+5

Why are you high-risk?
    AMA, Diabetic, IC

OB appointment today :D

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    i've been having some cramping this morning ugh.. thankfully i have a dr appointment

early to everything 
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
    September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
  • How far along are you?
    17+2

Why are you high-risk?
    AMA, GD, previous hypertension issues

Nope, my next appointment with the MFM and the A/S is next Tuesday. I can't wait to see "Sweet Pea" again. :D

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    I'm beginning to wonder if I'm anemic. My last CBC in January showed it at 12.9%. When I went back and looked at my last few CBC's over the past few years I was consistently 15-16%, so while 12.9% may not technically be anemia territory, I seem to be struggling with the symptoms all the same. Plus that was in January, who knows what it's at right now.

However none of my doctors have seemed the slightest bit concerned in repeating the test to see what it's at currently when I bring it up. I'm not sure on the safety of taking iron supplements without consulting a doctor, like if a person can take too much, etc...so I've been trying to eat iron rich foods, but so far it's not helping much that I can tell.

Early for everything. I hate being late, it makes my anxiety even worse to not be there early and on time.
  • Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? 18+4

Why are you high-risk? Diabetes and AMA

Any additional monitoring or testing this week? Anatomy scan on Friday! Plus I got a nice little lecture about sending in my blood sugar numbers more often during my last MFM appt so that's the goal this week. They raised my dosage twice last week and I've seen some really consistent readings and no crashes so I'm pretty pleased with what they have me on now!

Rants/Raves/Questions? Just in complete and utter shock that we're hitting the half way mark!

GTKY: Are you usually early or late? Before DS I was always early. Now I'm usually right on time

Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How far along are you?
    19w 6d

Why are you high-risk?
    Genetic and heart condition, and now vasa previa

This is my week off, I’ll go in every other week from here until we switch to once a week. 

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    Rave- we found out baby is a girl this weekend, so that was very exciting
    Rant- I’m still struggling with the vasa previa diagnosis and the fear as we get closer to delivery that baby will stay safe. I’m also terrified of having a c-section, so I’m trying to come to terms with that as well. I’ll do whatever baby needs to stay safe, but I was really hoping for an unmedicated vaginal delivery which just cannot happen anymore.  

I used to be a later gator, but then I married DS who cannot stand to be late, and thankfully he has rubbed off on me. 
  • @neeraja_k obviously ask your doctor, but mine told me iron is one you can't really take too much of and you'll pee out whatever you don't need. I had low iron in third tri my last pregnancy and have added an additional supplement this pregnancy because I really felt like sh*t until they caught it last time. I don't take it every day, but maybe every other day if I find I'm not eating much iron rich food. 

How far along are you? 15+3

Why are you high-risk? Low PAPP-A

Any additional monitoring or testing this week? Not this week, but regular OB appointment next week. 

Rants/Raves/Questions? I tried to ask H last night about telling the rest of our families about this babe. He said he wanted to wait until we got more clarity on where we're at. To me this was a coverup that he's not feeling confident in the pregnancy and doesn't want to have to tell people bad news. He's already telling me that all our projects we need to do, he's targeting being done by the time we're 32 weeks just in case baby comes early. I'm not saying his position is unreasonable, but at some point you hit the moment of a pregnancy where you need your village. I feel like I'm there, but I'm supposed to be in this with him and need to wait for him to be there too. Whose needs "win"!? 

GTKY: Are you usually early or late? Early, unless I'm bringing DD with me...then we're usually right on time. 
  • @Patience7150 - ooh that's tough. So at what point do you think that he'll feel he has clarity?
    If it's wait for the anatomy scan, I could maaaaybe see that, although it's nice to have that extra support from family and friends if you feel that you need it going in to the scan. But beyond that... eh, I'd say it's time to come out with the wonderful news.

And can he call my H and get him on the same 32 week plan?

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Patience7150 that is really hard- DH and I had a lot of discussions about when to tell people. I'm someone that needs a lot of family support if something happens- so i told my family right away, but they live in another state. I left it up to DH when he would tell his family- at first he said after the AS but then he changed his mind to after the cerclage... but he actually ended up telling them the week before the cerclage bc we were out to dinner with them and they were asking me to help plan my SILs baby shower... lol 

I do know a lot of people who wait until after the anatomy scan but if you need the extra support i dont think it's unreasonable to explain that to DH 
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

• How far along are you? 18w+2d

Why are you high-risk? AMA, 2 losses, septate uteurs (corrected)

Yes! Had an OB appointment on Monday and have my AS on Thursday. I'm super nervous but H isn't. I don't think he understands how important it really is. 

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    I've been having this pain in my vagina area - kind of like a soreness? Like someone's kicked me there, but not quite THAT bad. It's worse when I'm sitting. I asked my doc about it and she said it's normal, but I'm not quite sure she knew what I meant because she kept describing it differently. I'm worried about it being related to my cerclage, so I'm glad I get my AS on Thursday. OB said the MFM will check the cervix and all of that, so that's good. Also at around 10 weeks I had a partial previa, so they will double check that at the AS too, she says. 

Usually early. I'm trying to get better about showing up on time, so I force myself to leave a bit later than I would normally. 

@patience7150 Your H sounds like me. :) I was super hesitant to tell anyone but my H was dying to. He wanted to tell everyone at 12 weeks, but he let me push it to 14weeks. 
  • @hezzer78 - not sure if it helps at all but I've had the same pain, mine will show up usually at the end of the day and I sit at a desk all day so I don't think it's a support thing.

A girlfriend said 'does it feel like you were hit in the crotch with a baseball bat?'
    Yup, pretty much the best description I've got
    Another friend said it might be crotch lightning but I thought that was more sharp and then it's over - this is lingering.

I can't wait to see an awesome update from you after your anatomy scan!!!

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @hezzer78 i just mentioned vaginal pain to my dr today too... mine is kind of sharp and shooting... she also didn't seem worried... she said she would be more worried about tightening (contractions) and said the cerclage can be uncomfortable with occasional pain 

my cerclage gets checked next Monday so i'll be a nervous wreck until then lol
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

• How far along are you?
    17+3

Why are you high-risk?
    History of PIH, IUGR, AMA (see, I’m playing the acronym game!)

Nope, AS is next week.

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    Rave: for all of you who gave me acupuncture advice last week, I had my first session on Saturday and already have improvement in my headaches!! They’re still here every day like clockwork but I can actually function a bit during them, which is a major improvement. My second session is booked for Friday! I’m really looking forward to feeling human again.
    Rant: F’ing 10-14 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow. I’m DONE.

GTKY: Are you usually early or late? Early, not even a question. Type A personality here, 100%.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • @neeraja_k a hemoglobin of 12.9 in pregnancy is well within the normal range, and it’s also very typical to see a drop pre-pregnancy to pregnancy because your blood volume gets diluted out. I doubt your OB would be concerned or would recommend iron at that level. But do mention the symptoms because other things can cause the same thing and they may want to explore.

@Patience7150 I’m sorry you and your H aren’t on the same page. Have you asked him to tell you exactly what will make him feel more comfortable? Or could you ask him if he’d feel okay sharing with a small group like immediate family first? I think you have every right to tell him that you need the support of some close people as soon as possible. 
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • How far along are you?
    18+3

Why are you high-risk?
    Crohn's disease, autimmune liver disease, autoimmune arthitis and now adding elvated alpha fetoprotein

A/S today, with no visable abnormalities! I'll continue to stay very closely monitored. Awaiting repeat cell free dna test results as well.

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    So overwhelmed with joy that a/s went well, with no major issues. There is still a chance for minor abnormalities, and even more of a chance for complications down the line, but we will take those a step at a time. 

Early. Being late, myself included is a pet peeve. Luckily the Army instilled super punctuality in DH as sell. 
  • How far along are you?
    17w 5d

Why are you high-risk?
    Type 2 diabetes

Nutritionist appointment yesterday and ob appointment today

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    Love that I am feeling Little Miss rolling around in there. Also the husband took out the trash bins without being asked this week and DD brought them back up to the house without being prompted! Win in our house!

GTKY: Are you usually early or late? I like to be early but since DD came along we are usually late.
  • @mrsbubbles-2 @harleyquinn0621 @redheadbride15 Thank you for your responses. We have told my parents and his parents. It didn't help that when we told his dad (who is 87) that this would be a high risk pregnancy, he responded that some nice weather and time in the sun will probably take care of our issues. He's 1 of 9 so his immediate brothers and sisters were who I was referencing when I asked about telling his family. I think after we meet with the MFM and learn a little more, he'll feel comfortable. That should only be 2 weeks away, so I'm willing to let it go until then. After that, I'll probably push a little harder, and like @redheadbride15 mentioned, ask what will make him feel comfortable. 
  • Also, has anyone been through the high-risk route before and had weekly growth scans? Is it possible to stay team green through them? We weren't planning to find out the sex of this baby as we were team green for DD, but I'm afraid we'll find out "accidentally" or something. If we're going to find out accidentally, I'd rather find out on my own terms and when I know H will be there. 
  • @Patience7150 - how far along will you be when they start the weekly scans? I had 2x a week scans with DS  starting at 30 weeks and they focused on the fluid levels and took quick measurements of the abdomen and spine I think? If we didn't know it was a boy I don't think we would have been able to tell, there's the baby moving, the US tech moving the wand and I don't think they focused on the genitalia at all. They will probably measure the limbs but you can look away if they start looking at the legs, just in case baby flips over!

You can tell the tech that you're team green as well and I'm sure they'll do what they can to not say or show you anything that's not  relevant to the measurements they are taking

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 3rd tri is when they'll start. Good idea to tell the tech! Thank you! 
  •  How far along are you?
    19+0

Why are you high-risk?
    AMA, h/o DVT, Factor V Leiden

No; 9 more days of waiting

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    Seriously, more snow? Home today because husband thinks I'll slip and fall walking to/from the subway. There goes another vacation day which means there goes a day of maternity leave (since there is no actual maternity leave to speak of). 

Usually early. It's tough with DH because he thinks there's always time to do one more thing or make one more stop on our way somewhere. 

@redheadbride15 So glad to hear the acupuncture is helping! 

IvorySoapGirl - Forest Hills, NY

Me: 40  DH: 40
    Married May 2012
    DD born Sep 2013
    MC Feb 2017 11w2d
    CP May 2017 5w
    MC Oct 2017 6w
    BFP Dec 2017 EDD 8/15/18

• @Patience7150 - I think you'll have a good shot at not accidentally finding out! The baby is big enough at that point that they move the want from head, to abdomen, to fluid pockets, etc, so you'll be able to tell (or they will be able to tell you) when they're getting to the danger zone lol! FWIW my techs were amazing and made sure that I had all the information I wanted before I left so there wasn't any unnecessary worry. I truly hope you have a great experience, the scans are nerve-wracking going in but I always left feeling reassured.

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @harleyquinn0621 FX for a good appointment and hope the cramping stops!

@neeraja_k  I actually pushed for an iron panel at my last appointment because I’ve had a hemoglobin of around 12 in the past with super low iron levels. I made sure my prenatal has iron in it. I think the only real concern with getting too much of it is the constipation. 

@kc0711 I had hoped for an unmedicated birth with DS but ended up with an emergency c-section under general anesthesia. It took me a long time to come to terms with how everything worked out; even though you know it’s for the best, you still have to process those feelings of disappointment and that’s perfectly ok. 

@Patience7150 Woukd he be ok with you telling some people in your own family or close friends? I can understand his reservations, but if you’re feeling like you need that support, I think he should be willing to let you tell just a few close people. 

@hezzer78 ugh, sorry for the pain! FX for a good AS! 

How far along are you? 19+2

Why are you high-risk? Prior preterm birth and open myomectomy last year (seven fibroids removed)

Any additional monitoring or testing this week? AS was yesterday and OB appointment next Wednesday, as well as my post-op follow-up next Tuesday. 

Rants/Raves/Questions? AS came back normal and cervix is closed! We have the next few vaginal ultrasounds and our next growth scan scheduled so I’m feeling good about that being out of the way. DH just got the job offer he’s been waiting for so I’m super excited for him! 

Feeling a little nervous about going back to work this weekend after the biopsy. It seems like I’ve developed a seroma in my right armpit where they removed the one lymph node and it’s really uncomfortable. I’m also getting a weird pain in my antecubital area when I fully extend my arm. I guess it could always be worse though and I’m just managing it as best I can to avoid taking any pain meds. 

GTKY: Are you usually early or late? I’m always early for work. For everything else, it’s hit or miss. If I’m bringing DS, I’ll most likely be late. 
  • @redheadbride15 & @mrs_drc_rn Thanks for the replies!

While 12.9% may technically still be within normal limits, I'm wondering if it's "too low" for me personally.

Because I'm cold ALL the time, and my hands and feet are frigid. Normally I'm one who overheats if it's slightly above 70 and now I'm intimate with my electric blanket. I'm tired all the time, like I get out of bed after 10 hours of sleep and just want to crawl back in, every chore or activity is a struggle to get done. I get ridiculously out of breath just walking up a slight hill, or flight of stairs, or the handicap ramp at a restaurant, at the slowest possible pace possible. Never mind brisk bursts of activity. I'm super pale, and normally I'm pale, but this is enough that even my husband has noticed that I no longer have the pink tint I used to and brought it up last weekend when we were holding hands.

It's stuff that might easily be explained away by just simple pregnancy, but it feels like more than just that. I feel like I should be getting over that "hump" of symptoms, especially considering I never had morning sickness at all that might have depleted my stores of nutrients, and I've been eating well balanced meals heavily favoring vegetables my entire pregnancy so far.

My prenatal does have iron in it, 18mg. I've been taking it since my miscarriage last July, because I had so much of it left over and after my miscarriage a lot of my hair fell out, so I figured why not just keep taking it. So that 12.9% is while on prenatals with iron. 

I have an MFM appointment next Tuesday and I'll bring it up that I would like for them to recheck it for me, just to make sure. They're going to recheck my A1c while I'm there, so what's one more vial.
  • @neeraja_k have you had your thyroid levels checked in pregnancy? Those symptoms could all be explained by that too. Also could be just pregnancy... but I’d mention it at your appt.
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • @mrs_drc_rn you make a really good point. I guess the good is that I already know about the c-section so I can be prepared for it. And I have a few months to come to terms with it. Hopefully as the newness wears off it’ll get easier!
  • edited March 2018
    baby girl was just checked tuesday and had a perfect heartrate of 155 and i'm already freaking out that something is wrong because i just dont feel pregnant enough.... logically i know that is perfectly normal at 17 weeks but my mind won't shut down sigh.. this will be easier when i feel movement... until i start trying to analyze every movement she makes lol
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

• @redheadbride15 No, I haven't had them checked since I got pregnant this year. 

They were last checked on 2/17 and everything was "normal". Free T4 was 1.20 and TSH was 1.38. I try to get it checked every year, because I have a lot of symptoms of it (I think PCOS shares some symptoms) , but they always come back normal. 
  • I do my progesterone injections on Fridays and I’ve been forcing myself to get it done and over with first thing in the morning. I was rushing around this morning and haven’t done it yet, and I just really don’t feel like shoving a needle into my ass today. Not because it hurts or anything, but I just really don’t feel like doing anything at all today. Tomorrow is my first day back to work since the biopsy and I just want to crawl back into bed and do nothing today. 
  • @harleyquinn0621 - hugs, lady. I hope she starts to give you some big kicks soon! It's perfectly ok to be nervous and over analyze things. I'm so happy that baby girl checked out perfect <3

@mrs_drc_rn - ouch! Sorry about the injections! I hope you get a nice relaxing stay in bed day today. You deserve one if you have to get weekly shots in the butt!

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @harleyquinn0621 Hang in there! Weeks 17 and 18 were the hardest as far as not "feeling pregnant" and not feeling a lot of movement. (Was it movement or was it gas?) At 19+2 I've only just started to feel more significant and obvious baby moves. Even so, I have another week to wait before I'm back to my MFM for the anatomy scan. 

Married May 2012
    DD born Sep 2013
    MC Feb 2017 11w2d
    CP May 2017 5w
    MC Oct 2017 6w
    BFP Dec 2017 EDD 8/15/18

• thank you ladies! i'm so grateful for all the extra appointments.... she was checked Tuesday and then i get to go back in Monday for a cerclage and baby check.... it's nice going in 3 times a months to help with my own anxiety 

@IvorySoapGirl lol i thought i felt something last Monday, but like you said- no idea if i did or if it was just in my own head or gas ...
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

• I meant to ask... those of you who are self-injecting, did your pharmacy give you a sharps container? Mine did not. I've been saving them in a box. 

Married May 2012
    DD born Sep 2013
    MC Feb 2017 11w2d
    CP May 2017 5w
    MC Oct 2017 6w
    BFP Dec 2017 EDD 8/15/18

• @IvorySoapGirl When I got my insulin pens I picked up a sharps container from a local pharmacy. They have a program that when it gets full I just bring it in and they'll give me a new empty one.
  • @IvorySoapGirl I ordered one off of amazon for like $5. A girl I work with said her aunt put sharps in an old plastic soda bottle.
  • @IvorySoapGirl i used empty thick plastic laundry detergent bottles 
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

• @IvorySoapGirl I also use an empty laundry detergent bottle. Just write sharps on it and most pharmacies will take them to dispose of properly. I fill them quite regularly with 5+ shots a day. 

I just had to share that I had an A1C draw on Wednesday and it came back 6.1! I am so excited about it! Suck it Dr. Dick Nugget!  

We talked about insulin pumps at my nutritionist appointment. Any one have one or thought about one? I am seriously considering it right now, so many less pokes.
  • @harleyquinn0621 I am so happy to hear everything is going good right now. It is definitely a relief every time to go in and hear that little heart beat. Before you know it you will be going twice a week, i cant believe how fast this is going.
  • edited March 2018
    @hoodwink89 great job on the A1C! I asked my dr to draw my A1C and she said she didnt think it was neccessary, that she just wants to review my logs each appointment... really frustrated with that- so i'm paying out of pocket tomorrow at the lab since they don't require a drs order for A1C (it's how i was tracking before and its the same lab my dr uses lol), it just won't be covered by my insurance without the order
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016

• @hoodwink89 YAY!!! Congrats that’s an awesome A1C! I want a pump but my doctor won’t entertain the option until after the baby comes. There’s also some arm patch type thing that I want to look into, a friend of mine got it and loved it!

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lurking here, but just wanted to chime in and agree with @redheadbride15 and say to ask about checking your thyroid @neeraja_k. Even if levels have been normal before, pregnancy can do some weird things to your hormone levels and your symptoms sound a lot like hypothyroidism!