August 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 12/25: Breast Pumps and Accessories!

Re: Product Spotlight 12/25: Breast Pumps and Accessories!

• Options
    @princesslockness Oh I missed that part.  Hats off to you and any other EPer! 
  • Options
    I have a cheapy manual Lansinoh pump I carry back and forth to work, and two electric pumps I don't use--a Medela PISA and a Lansinoh Smartpump. I used the Medela a handful of times in the beginning when I had some crazy oversupply and was building a freezer stash, and the Lansinoh was good for the few weeks my kid slept in longer intervals than my boobs could stand. The Lansinoh is smaller, quieter, and gentler, but I had no complaints about the PISA either. But for me, pumping at work--the manual pump is where it's at.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *Lurking from September board...*

FTM with EDD of 9/2 so I could wind up having an August child.. I love the product reviews that you all do, especially this one! I plan on exclusively pumping so that when my husband gets home, he can choose to bond with the child during feeding time if he wants to. I've heard great things about the Medela Symphony but didn't realize it was so hard to get ahold of. I'll definitely have to check with my insurance to see if I'd be able to rent it.
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @smsaulino Yes, what @princesslockness said.  Even if you want to give Dad the opportunity to bond with baby a couple times a day, that doesn't mean you have to EP.  That just means you pump sometimes.  I only EP'd for 2 weeks and it is a TON of work, especially in those first few days when LO is constantly nursing and you're recovering and exhausted.  Keep an open mind that a combination might work great for you. 
  • Options
    @smsaulino Agree with the others. (Also lurking, due 9/3) What worked for DS was to pump after his first feed in the morning to build a stash. Once that was going strong, I would have DH thaw milk to feed him at bedtime and I would pump before bed so I was nice and empty, plus I then replenished my stash. I will say this did contribute to me having an oversupply, but I’m thankful now for my stash now that my supply is dwindling. My son took to a bottle well from 3 weeks on. This way he was familiar with the bottle and DH was involved with feeding. Even that routine of pumping twice a day was exhausting. I can’t imagine EPing electively. You definitely don’t have to EP to get Dad involved in feeding and bonding. 
  • Options
    Everything @delujm0 said, except that you’ll often have to pump longer than baby would have nurses because babies are so much more efficient (assuming correct latch, etc) than pumps are at removing milk from the breast.
  • Options
    I also didn't respond as well to the pump.  So as soon as I returned to work, I was constantly struggling with my supply and having to supplement.  The baby is so much more efficient than the machine. 
  • Options
    My favorite pump accessory was formula! The pump was the devil (and my boobs don’t really make milk) so all I have is negative feelings surrounding it.
  • Options
    b48kate said:
    My favorite pump accessory was formula! The pump was the devil (and my boobs don’t really make milk) so all I have is negative feelings surrounding it.
    I’m sorry that you had such a rough time of it. I promise you aren’t the only one on this board who did. However, this thread is really about product reviews so that FTMs don’t get so overwhelmed and have a first hand review to base their purchases off. Please keep this type of comment to the other threads.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    @princesslockness Appreciate your input, but I really don’t think the boards need to be that strictly topic policed.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    b48kate said:
    @princesslockness Appreciate your input, but I really don’t think the boards need to be that strictly topic policed.
    Myself and others do feel that they need to be.

• Options
    ^ agreed. There are set threads to alleviate confusion in conversations. In addition, this specific thread speaks about pumping. While it definitely doesn't work for everyone, the input given here is to assist those interested in doing so.
  • Options
    @b48kate I think that we’re pretty chill about topic policing on this board but I agree with @princesslockness here - these threads are meant to be super specific and focus on one single baby- related thing at a time. If you want to start a formula feeders thread I’ll happily participate, we went through several different brands before finding one that worked for us!
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don’t mind being the only person who thinks that was a lame call out. I was essentially making a joke.
  • Options
    b48kate said:
    I don’t mind being the only person who thinks that was a lame call out. I was essentially making a joke.
    Breastfeeding/formula feeding can be a triggering topic for many people, so I think it’s not something you can easily make light of. I basically read your comment as “Having trouble with BFing or pumping? Just formula feed!” Which isn’t supportive if that’s not the mother’s goal. I realize that isn’t what you were saying, but you have to understand that this can be a very sensitive topic.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    @thirdtimethecharm did you end up getting the Naya pump? If so, what do you think?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    IVF baby girl born 7/2018  <3
    TTC 2013. FET 11/17 - BFP after attempt #6!

• Options
    Has anyone tried the Kiinde Twist Breastfeeding System? I noticed that a few women were not keen on pumping into bags but if the bags don't leak, I'm thinking this could be a good investment since I won't have to clean bottles and transfer milk to/from bags or bottles. I have a starter set already and 50% off coupon for the full set. 

Here's the link:
    https://www.target.com/p/kiinde-twist-breastfeeding-gift-set/-/A-14902949?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=1019973&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4MeWkJn82QIVEJ7ACh36Lwk7EAQYASABEgLslPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 
  • Options
    Btw, all of these reviews have been extremely helpful! I definitely had to screenshot some of the awesomeness. 
  • Options
    I'm also interested in the Kiinde system. I plan to near exclusively BF, but I want to pump once a day to have a supply for DH to use when I am away. I am wondering if a manual pump may be better for an occasional pumper? Has anyone else done this? While I will be a SAHM, I still plan to have a life, and that means occasionally being away from home while DH minds the kid!
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also interested in the Kiinde system. I plan to near exclusively BF, but I want to pump once a day to have a supply for DH to use when I am away. I am wondering if a manual pump may be better for an occasional pumper? Has anyone else done this? While I will be a SAHM, I still plan to have a life, and that means occasionally being away from home while DH minds the kid!
    I’m going to try and just use a haakaa this time (similar to a hand pump) and just catch what leaks, especially early on. Because pumping isn’t fun. So I don’t have experience with it. That said, if you plan to be away for longer than one feeding at any time, you may need to pump while you’re away, so it would be easier to have an electric pump and do both sides at once. Also, if your insurance provides one, you might as well get it if it’s no cost to you. You never know if you might need it for some other reason.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I got a Kiinde intro kit in my Babylist welcome box. It consisted of a Kiinde bag, the bottle insert, nipple, pump adapters, and a 50% off coupon code for bags on their website. If my old pump still works, I’m going to try it out, since it didn’t cost me anything. I’m hoping the ease of the system might be more of a motivation to pump. I wasn’t a fan of pumping with DS. 
  • Options
    @derbysquirrel - about the manual pump - I got the Medela Harmony for when I was still home on maternity leave so I wasn't away from baby for very long. I loved it. I built up a small stash by just using the manual pump after I fed DS throughout the day. It took me too long to get all hooked up to the double electric, I starting using that when I went back to work. It's pretty small as well so if you need to be away from baby for a while and you'll miss a feed, everything you need can fit in your purse, you'll just need an ice pack or something if you'll be away from a fridge for longer than 4 hours. Now since you can only do one breast at a time it may take a little longer and your hand will get tired from squeezing the pump but you'll adjust to it.

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @satindoll326 I looked at that system with my first as well, but heard from others that it was bulky. I just pumped into a Medela bottle and poured it into a lansinoh bag. If you freeze them laying flat, you can stack them vertically by date. They are slim and store easily, and are inexpensive. So I guess it depends on how often you pump and store. I wanted to have a stock pile for when I got back to work, so I needed something slim. Others may only want to pump and store for date night or whatnot, so on the rare occasion, the kiinde system may be easier. 
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2
    Thanks! Added to registry :)

@lalala2004
    I'll get the fancy one through insurance too. It just seems like a lot of effort and parts to wash for an occasional pumper. I'd ideally like to do one pump a day to establish a stash and bump up production, but we'll see how everything goes!
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @derbysquirrel I had a manual pump I kept at home so I could leave my electric pump at the office and only cart back and forth the pieces I was washing.  I agree that for a quick pump and not wanting to deal with all the cleaning the manual pump is nice to have.  Plus it's nice if you don't have a battery or access to electricity. 

The first one I bought my body didn't respond to at all and I was crying trying to get anything out of it.  I tried at different brand and had much better luck.  You might have to play with it to find the one that works for you. 

The Advent Comfort was the one that didn't work for me at all.  The Medela Harmony worked really well. 
  • Options
    Also with the Harmony I noticed that I needed new membranes more quickly than I needed them with my electric.

Finding the right size shield is key, there are charts and stuff all over that will help you identify which size shield to get. So if you try your pump and aren't getting much milk out or it's uncomfortable, try a different size shield

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just jumping in to say that a manual is great in a pinch, but not one to rely on for all of your “pumping needs” if you’re having to do so multiple times at work. 
  • Options
    With my insurance this year I had the option to choose a Spectra instead of a Medela.

I’ve heard many great things about the Spectra and excited to see how much better it is than my old Medelas. It’s also a closed system so I can resell it after.

The lady that has just hit a record for producing lots of breast milk lives in my area and has a Spectra and loves it. So that kind of sealed the deal for me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hfooter love love love the Spectra! I would recommend it to anyone

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 the price point shocked me! I almost didn’t want to get it since it was substantially cheaper than the Medela and I wanted to stick it to my insurance company

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hfooter hahaha I get it! I had the S1, I think that’s the model with the rechargeable battery. The battery life is pretty good! I was using a medela freestyle before I got the Spectra and my pump output was crap. It was better with the Spectra! The only downside is that spare parts aren’t at target, or at least they weren’t when I pumped so I had to order everything online

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member

@lalala2004
    I'll get the fancy one through insurance too. It just seems like a lot of effort and parts to wash for an occasional pumper. I'd ideally like to do one pump a day to establish a stash and bump up production, but we'll see how everything goes!
    I had a Medela manual pump and a Medela electric one. There was essentially no difference in the amount of parts to wash. Well I suppose if you’re pumping both breasts simultaneously with the electric then you do have an extra valve, membrane and flange but the time it would add to your washing is negligible.  And once you get used to the electric, it’s really quick to get set up! 

Have pumping bras been mentioned??? If anyone is planning to pump both breasts then I really think they’re essential! The Simple Wishes on (available on Amazon) is wonderful! Though I’ve heard you can cut holes in a sports bra! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a PISA for DS and ended up needing to EP. I felt like it wasn’t the best for EP’ing and I had a lot of supply issues; I EP’ed for about three months before it just got to be too stressful trying to keep up. I’m trying Spectra S1 this time around and hoping that in the event I end up having to EP again, it will work better. Keeping FX that BF’ing works out this time around though! 
  • Options
    @ecwk - +1 to the Simple Wishes hands-free pump bra! Its the best! I busted a zipper on one of the Medela ones pretty quickly, I think I had it for like a week or two? Plus rumor has it that Simple Wishes has an extender panel you can buy if the holes don't line up with your nipples.

I also did the holes in the sports bra trick, but I wouldn't recommend. So with the simple wishes, you unhook your nursing bra cups, put on the pump bra over, hook up with your breast shields and off you go! For the sports bra, you basically have to strip from the waist up, switch bras completely, hook up, pump, unhook and get completely dressed again. Or you can just wear the sports bra all day - I tried that and my poor nips kept escaping through the holes! I was quite the sight, let me tell you lol!

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    @mrsbubbles-2
    That's such a good point! I didn't think about  the awkardness of getting dressed/undressed. The Simple Wishes was so easy! I used to pump at my desk twice a day during prep and lunch and I had to be quick about it! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I also did the holes in the sports bra trick, but I wouldn't recommend. So with the simple wishes, you unhook your nursing bra cups, put on the pump bra over, hook up with your breast shields and off you go! For the sports bra, you basically have to strip from the waist up, switch bras completely, hook up, pump, unhook and get completely dressed again. Or you can just wear the sports bra all day - I tried that and my poor nips kept escaping through the holes! I was quite the sight, let me tell you lol!
    Why wouldn't you just pull the nursing cups down, put the sports bra on, then remove when done and hook the cups back up? It might be uncomfortable to wear 2 bras for that little bit, but if you had a cheap pull over sports bra, I don't think it would be that bad. 

• Options
    ecwkecwk member

Why wouldn't you just pull the nursing cups down, put the sports bra on, then remove when done and hook the cups back up? It might be uncomfortable to wear 2 bras for that little bit, but if you had a cheap pull over sports bra, I don't think it would be that bad. 
    When I used to pump at work I would just slip off my normal one, and pull up my top and put on the Simple Wishes. Then I'd pump and take off the Simple Wishes, slip my arms out of my top and put on my regular bra. With the sports bra you'd actually have to get fully undressed from the waist up so you could put the sports bra on over your head. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ecwk I also just pumped topless, so it was never a big deal to me. I guess it just didn't occur that you would keep your shirt on while pumping.