October 2018 Moms

Weekly Product Spotlight: Nursing Bras

I think it would be helpful to have a weekly product spotlight where we can talk about recommendations for items we love or hate to recommend to each other.

Up this week: Bras!

Did you get pregnancy bras? Or did you go straight for the nursing bras?

What brand do you love?

What brand do you dislike?

Things to look for:

Re: Weekly Product Spotlight: Nursing Bras

• Did you get pregnancy bras? Or did you go straight for the nursing bras? I decided to go straight to nursing bras.

What brand do you love? the Target one was okay. I think my biggest issue was that I accidentally bought the wrong size (I tried on two and put the wrong one back).

What brand do you dislike? I got the B amboobies Yoga Nursing Brahhh (https://www.buybamboobies.com/products/yoga-nursing-brahhh). I don't mind it overall, however it's not "the one". I tend to find racerbacks uncomfortable to me. They end up being so close to my neck that they just don't sit right.

Things to look for: not sure yet... but I need either a wider racerback (that sits further out my shoulders) or individual straps. 
  • +another related question - my bra is juuuuust starting to get tight, especially around my ribs. Do I size up a lot so I can just grow into it, or did you STMs recommend buying a couple along the way as you grow? 
  • Loading the player...
  • So when baby is super tiny I just use nursing tanks. My favorite are Gillian O'Malley from target. Then when they get a bit bigger I just start using my regular bras and pulling them down. I never loved any of the nursing bras I tried. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • During pregnancy, I just sized up in regular bras once or twice. Got a cheapie nursing bra at target for right after. More like sports bra type that just came in small, medium, large so I figured it’d be easier to guess a size.

About three weeks postpartum I took my first baby break to go to Nordstrom’s and get fitted for something nice. Ended up with a wired Natori. Loved it. Wore the heck out of it. It finally started falling apart about a year later. Ordered a cute Bravado to get me through my last few months. Didn’t like the strap clasps on it as much. Not as easy to do one handed and loud. Not an issue with a toddler but would have been annoying with an infant. 

Now I’m finally done day nursing so don’t need to be wearing nursing bras anymore. But I have no idea what my boobs are going to do weaning and being pregnant at the same time. So I’m just chilling in limbo wearing whatever I find that fits. I will be replacing my Natori again when it comes time though.

Also, I have tiny boobs so my advice my not be applicable to all. Pre-baby barely A. Only made it to a large B at the peak of my nursing boobage.
  • Did you get pregnancy bras? Or did you go straight for the nursing bras? I've never purchase pregnancy bras - I've been fortunate that I can keep wearing my normal bras until I start nursing.

What brand do you love? LOVE LOVE LOVE my Soma nursing bras. They're supportive, hold up really well, and are padded enough that they hide any pads I stuff in them to combat leakage. I bought two with my oldest, and then two more with my youngest, and they're all still in great shape, so I shouldn't need any more this time around. They aren't cheap, but considering how well they last, it's money well spent.

What brand do you dislike? I really hated whatever brand I got at Motherhood maternity the first time around. They didn't physically hold me up well and they wore out really fast.

Things to look for: I am generally a D when nursing/not nursing, so I have always wanted underwire. I know it's often called out as a no-no (supposedly can cause clogs, issues, etc.) but I need that support or my boobs start trying to go sideways. As long as the bra you wear fits well, I don't think the underwire should really cause any negative issues, but I realize finding a good fit can often be difficult to begin with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @eireyes I bought a Motherhood Maternity in one clearance and don’t like it either. It’s way tighter around the ribs than other bras I have in the same band size. I feel like being able to breathe is kind of important lol

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• I sized up in regular bras while pregnant, but I only needed to do that once.

I never bought nursing bras, only nursing tanks from target.  I am normally a 34b and after delivery I grew... a lot.. like I mean I was somewhere in the 36/38 h/i range depending on the chart I used for measurements. (For those that don’t know, cup sizes are a, b, c, d, dd, ddd, g, h, i... and up from there). It was ridiculous and I hated it... there was boob everywhere.  Bras that size are $$$$ and I knew I wouldn’t be that big forever, so I couldn’t justify spending the money on it.  They slowly shrank back down to normal and I started wearing my normal bras again, but that was like 2 years later.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Did you get pregnancy bras? Or did you go straight for the nursing bras? My boobs didn’t really change size at all until my baby was born last time, so I wore my normal bras all throughout pregnancy. Nursing bras I started with the kind of sports bra type ones that come in small/med/large and ended up liking those under nursing camis-targets are the best! so I never got a real nursing bra

What brand do you love? My nursing bras were a 3 pack from amazon and they held up great and had nice clasps. It was a little hard for me to maneuver the clasps and hold up my shirt so eventually I switched to either a normal bra that I just pulled down, or a looser sports bra that I pulled up- that was the easiest and my favorite way to do it since I just mostly wore gym shorts and t shirts anyway.  

What brand do you dislike? Anything from Motherhood. The nursing camis were so awkward- short and fat on me, and the nursing bras felt super cheap next to the amazon ones that cost way less. 

Things to look for: ease of getting your boobs out and back in without showing them to the whole world :)
  • And my two cents, nursing camis are a waste of money. I had a few in the beginning but they fit weird. Went back to my regular old $2 camis and just pulled them down. Sure, some got a little stretched, but at $2, whatever. Better than $18 a pop for nursing tanks that were too lose to wear under anything. 
  • I was just googling maternity bras before I came here.  All that came up were nursing bras. I guess I just need a regular bra in a bigger size.  I am so uncomfortable today,  I want to take my bra off at my desk. But I'm pretty sure my co workers would judge me.  
  • KFrobKFrob member
    I'm with @eireyes and I love the Soma nursing bra.  I went straight to nursing, and did have to size up once.  But about halfway through my year of nursing ended up back in the original nursing ones I bought.
  • @blee530 - I actually bought a wireless bra for the first time since high school a couple weeks ago.  I don’t love it, but I think it is going to be my go-to bra until I actually deliver.  
  • tinattt23 said:
    And my two cents, nursing camis are a waste of money. I had a few in the beginning but they fit weird. Went back to my regular old $2 camis and just pulled them down. Sure, some got a little stretched, but at $2, whatever. Better than $18 a pop for nursing tanks that were too lose to wear under anything. 
    I felt the exact opposite! lol I thought nursing bras were stupid. I tried super expensive ones and cheap ones. Regular bras worked just fine lol
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018

• Did you get pregnancy bras? Or did you go straight for the nursing bras? Last time I went from a C to a D while pregnant and bought nursing bras. Then when my milk came in I bought DD’s. It worked out okay because I nursed until 2 and eventually my boob shrunk down to D. I ended up getting rid of almost all of them because they got worn out. This time my boobs haven’t really grown yet. I’m still in D.

What brand do you love? My favorite ones came from Motherhood. Like some else said, when you’re first nursing I suggest tanks. They are way more comfortable. I only wore a bra when I went out in public. 

What brand do you dislike? I had some from Target I didn’t like. They were super comfy at first, but they didn’t hold their shape.

Things to look for: Dont but too much pre baby. They might not fit when your milk comes in.
  • Am I the only one who feels like the bands are always too tight no matter the bra? I feel like i just keep going up in band sizes to try and find a comfortable one and there is no such thing. I have been sized several times and wear a 40 DD in regular bras but I've tried 42 and 44 and they just aren't comfortable and after a few hours, I feel like they're digging in.  Do I just have a really abnormally large ribcage? lmao.

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• edited March 2018
    @chopchop25 @sarahzett. **lurking from S18**  So far I just bought bra extenders from Amazon.  They give so much more room in the band, and that was the first thing I needed.  Almost 16 weeks now and I'm feeling like I might need to break down and go up a cup size so I'm decent for work (professional environment, business attire), but the extender was a lifesaver in the beginning.
    *typos
  • True & co scoop neck bras for lyfe. Easily my comfiest bra when I’m not nursing, has a little stretch so my same size fits when I am, and it easily pulls down to nurse. They’re expensive but sooo worth it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I lived in Target brand  (gilligan and omalley?) nursing camis the first 2 months. They were comfy, stretchy and easy to change out nursing pads with enough support for me. When i went back to work, i wore those with a nursing bra while pumping and could basically pump hands free. Bra unattached tank closed holding it up. Those tanks survived 2 years of nursing!
  • I went ahead and bought a nursing bra from Kindred Bravely- it is super comfortable and I highly recommend it.  I’ve nursed 3 other kids and in the past I liked Bravado, but this one (sublime) feels even better.  I will be ordering another as well as one or two of their tanks.
  • There was a question in another thread about plus sized nursing bras.  While I don’t have any experience with the bras, Bare Necessities does carry nursing bras in larger sizes:

https://www.barenecessities.com/44H-Nursing--Maternity-Bras-Bras_catalog_nxs,31,size,1063,style,12.htm
  • I think I’ve been living in nursing bras for the past 2 years. I switched over while pregnant with E when the wires got too uncomfortable in my regular bras. She was still nursing until mid February and it’s no use trying to get regular ones for a while since I’ll be nursing this one for hopefully at least a year. I have a couple of regular ones and a could of sporty ones for night time when I was having leakage issues. I use my Target brand ones for day use. I’ll have to find my sport ones to tell you the brand, but I got them from Motherhood and Destination Maternity. 

For nursing, I wear an undershirt underneath so that not too much shows while I nurse. I didn’t both with nursing camis and just used my regular Old Navy ones. They fit better and I think I wore them for both older kids. They’re starting to get holes now so I’ll just replace them as needed.