TTC After a Loss

March Benchwarmers

Hey Ladies!

So it sounds like there are a few of us that are benched for various reasons so I thought we could hang out here.

How’s it going for you? 

Re: March Benchwarmers

• I’m currently benched for testing. So far I’ve had the HSG and sonohysterogram. Next is blood work and ultrasound and then possibly a hysteroscope (could be spelling/remembering that incorrectly). All in all I will have been benched for at least two whole cycles before we can try again. I’m hoping in the end it is worth the wait but right now it just feels like time is going so slowly... But at least with each test I feel like we are making some progress.
  • edited March 2018
    I copied this from yoir inital post.

I'm benched until the 15th. Had a D&E on the 1st. I'm miserable because I just want to be TTC. I'm temping just to try (I stress try because I know it's gonna be wacky) and keep up with whatever curve balls I'm gonna get. And probably TMI but I really really just want sex. I can't even figure out why because logically my mind and body have just been through so much. 

Adding: I was doing okay today until a series of messages from my MIL asking me to show pics of a family friends newborn to my neice (who is in our custody) referring to said baby as her cousin. It's not her cousin. By any possible means. She calls the dad uncle because he was BILs best friend. 0 familial connection. My son and the baby I JUST lost not even a week ago, 100% her cousins. I responded and haven't read the full message back from her. I know it involves a comment that she carried a baby for 6m after it's passing so she knows how I feel. Ok, yep, you win. I'm just done with her today. 

@char245 I hope the testing all comes back good and you get unbenched. I can see how the testing is at least some progress. I've been temping for 2 days and as useless as it is, I feel like at least I'm doing SOMETHING toward TTC.

Edited for spelling  (you'll see I am a frequent offender with that...)
  • Loading the player...
  • Parking myself here this month. Had a D&C last week. Not instructed to bench, but no idea if/when I'll ovulate, and not actively trying until after my first period.

@prpl11butterfly - I read about your MIL sending that text in another post. That is so thoughtless in so many different ways. It's also so inconsiderate of her to be acting as though she knows exactly what you've been through or comparing tragedies. I started crying last night because my grandma told me she was thinking about what happened a week ago and sad for me. I can't imagine having someone be so blasé and downplaying your loss and experience. I am so sorry she did that to you.

@char245 - Sorry you're benched for 2 more cycles but hoping the testing brings some answers! I am *trying* to convince myself the extra time will be good and give me more time to get fit/straighten up the house/save money... but it's not really working. :/
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @prpl11butterfly I’m sorry for your loss. That was so insensitive of your MIL! The only response back should have been I’m sorry, she should never have tried to then compare her experience with yours. Everyone handles everything differently and I imagine hers was a long time ago, not fresh like yours.

@Kabazaba welcome to the benchwarmers! Hopefully you’ll get a normal cycle back soon and will be able to start TTC as soon as you’re ready! 
  • @Kabazaba all the things we try to convince ourselves.... I'm doing the same with the house addition and it's really not making me feel any differently. I want to be pregnant again, like yesterday.
  • I’m here basically since September.  It’s been a really long difficult haul.  We waited for me to get my period about a week into November and then a possible polyp was found and I was instructed to call with my next cycle to have a hysteroscopy and not TTC in the meantime.  Called in December and they couldn’t see me until a week after I ovulated into my January cycle so that was really frustrating and I had another month out.  We tried and got a BFN my cycle that started mid January and then my REs office messed up my varicella titer (immunity to chicken pox) when the lab tested the wrong thing and I ended up getting a chicken pox vaccine that I didn’t even need that has had me benched this cycle... was prepared to start meds and had to wait AGAIN after months and months and I thought waiting for that first period was hard! Lol.  After the way things have been going I’m afraid to jinx anything but I THINK next cycle will finally be TTC again.

I have PCOS and MTHFR (although controlled with normal homocysteine) and my lining only gets to about half the thickness it should.  So the plan is Letrozole days 3-7 to move O up a little, ultrasound CD 12 and supplemental estrogen for 5 days if lining is too thin still, and then another u/s to see if I’ve reaponded to it a few days later.  I’ll also be doing progesterone 3 dpo until I test (or until 12 wks) as I had a LOT of spotting during my pregnancy... most of that could have been because it was non viable/blighted ovum, but RE said supplementing won’t hurt.

nervous but anxious to get this show on the road! 
  • @ccvslp - WOW. How frustrating, all the small little things that add up to having been benched basically 6 months. That would drive me crazy. FX all of this will lead to a quick, easy, happy, and healthy pregnancy for you.
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21

• @ccvslp that is a lot to have gone through! FX that this next cycle goes much more smoothly for you!
  • Thanks @char245 and @Kabazaba.  I am very nervous it will be hard to get PG again with my thin lining in particular and that I won’t respond to the estrogen to thicken it.... also know I’ll be scared of a repeat MC, too, but let’s not put the cart before the horse! 
  • @ccvslp sorry for your long wait, so frustrating. I’ve just been learning about MTHFR, and am curious how you discovered your gene/snp and how you’ve supported healthy function. 
  • @whit789... so my sister had it diagnosed through a naturopath years ago.  She has two of the a1298c mutation.  I brought it up to my OB after my MC and she agreed to test me for it (blood test.)  I have mutations on both copies as well, but one a1298c and one c677t.  

I take a prenatal with methylated folate (synthetic folic acid is a no no with MTHFR, body can’t break it down into usable folate and it can actually block absorption of naturally occurring folate from foods, etc.)  In addition to that I take an extra 800mcg of methylated folate and extra B12.  I also have gone wheat, sugar, and dairy free (in part to help stabilize blood sugar and reduce inflammation along with PCOS), but lowering inflammation and avoiding wheat (lots of wheat products -breads, cereals, etc. are fortified with synthetic folic acid) are good things for MTHFR.  I eat mostly organic and use natural cleaning products and personal products/makeup to reduce toxic load since MTHFR can impede your body’s detoxification processes.  I had homocysteine (high = a clotting risk, the worry for pregnancy apart from also needing folate) measured about a month ago with labs from my RE and it was nice and low so she is satisfied that I’m managing it well and don’t need anything further like blood thinners for pregnancy.  You can find LOTS of scary stuff about my mutations online for recurrent losses, etc. but I have resorted to telling myself this - statistically, it’s likely that plenty of people never know they have it and have beautiful healthy babies (some estimates say upwards of half the population carries one mutation).  Women who are discussing recurrent loss and complications online are more likely to have discovered this though testing.... so if I know, but have an RE who feels good about things after labs I am trying to just trust her and not worry!  
  • @ccvslp thanks so much for sharing all this. It’s pretty incredible that folic acid can work against you when your have MTHFR! And that it (potentially) can affect your body on so many levels.  I’ve been noticing folic acid now in the ingredients of so many processed foods, it’s everywhere. I’m planning to move to a prenatal with methylated folate, after talking with Ob tomorrow. I’ll ask her for a test too. I am impressed that you found this all out and made these lifestyle/diet changes - it’s major - but, I get it, the effort is more than worth it for the reward. 
  • Thanks, @whit789!  I’m not perfect at it by any means but I try... my birthday was Wednesday and I’ve sort of used that as an excuse to “yolo” and have some cake, pizza, etc. over the past week that was definitely not wheat free... but I’ve found that with a baby as motivation I get right back to healthy habits way more readily even when I stray... my diet now compared to even five months ago is worlds better.  
  • I got cut off, dang mobile!  What makes you wonder about it?  Have you had RPL or a family member with it?  Honestly, after my initial “freak out” I realized there are probably so many genes we don’t even understand yet that I shouldn’t get bent out of shape too much with it given only one loss so far,  but I sure do wish they’d fortify things with the right kind of folate since it’s so common!  Blows my mind.  
  • Hi everyone!  I am benched for March, April (and probably May).  Not the worst thing in the world, but I have a work trip to Costa Rica the first week of April and I need to be extra careful because of Zika.  To be honest, it will be a nice break. We'd started trying in October, had a mc in mid-January after getting a BFP on Christmas so it will be nice to take the pressure off for a couple months. 

@prpl11butterfly sorry about your MIL - super inconsiderate. 
    @Kabazaba I hope your cycle gets back to normal soon. 
    @ccvslp fingers crossed for next month! 
  • Waiting for AF... feels like forever this month! Usually I’m hoping not to get it, this month I want to so we can proceed with the testing. All I have is cramps and a need for all the food!! Ugh.

@BuckeyeNut05 at least it sounds like a nice trip! And for me just taking this month off from tracking and POAS was a great break that I didn’t realize I needed! 
  • Hey all,
    im new here. Had a D&C on 2/13/18 after experiencing a massive bleed due to a SCH, later come to find out MMC/no fetal ❤️ Beat @9wk. I’m beyond devasted and want more than anything to be pg again. Dr. stressed to wait 2 cycles-NO reason given. This was my 1st m/c. As of today, no AF and no signs I’ve even ovulated yet. Tempted to start trying again before AF but also terrified of another MC. Cherry on top is my closest inner circle (sis/bf) are pg and it triggers my emotions daily.
  • @CKONE674 welcome and so sorry you have to be here. I'm only 2wks out from my procedure so I have no advice as far as when you can expect AF. My doc told me prior that there is no medical reason to wait. Studies do not show any difference. **TW, pregnancy mentioned - My boss also had a MMC last summer (but opted to MC naturally). She was TTA but her body had other plans. She conceived on her second cycle and is doing great, in the 3rd tri now. We have the same Dr and he did advise her to wait but when she went back, the nurse said it's really only for dating**. Perhaps call your Dr and see if they can say why they want you to wait. If it's only for dating purposes, then you should do what your heart feels is best for you.

I'm sorry it's been difficult with your sis and bf also expecting. Try to be easy on yourself, it will happen :heart:
  • CKONE674 I'd definitely check with your doctor to make sure there aren't very good reasons they're telling you to wait 2 cycles. Also, if you decide to try again immediately before AF, please be aware of several things. The hormones in your body can take a while to go away and even out. You can get false positives on OPKs and PG tests. So if you are going this route you NEED to temp, if you do not, there will be absolutely NO way to know if you are experiencing a new PG or rises from your previous non-viable PG. Also, with the traumatic experience of MC, seeing a BFN can cause serious emotional issues in the earliest cycles following your MC. So, be prepared to experience that. Not trying for a cycle is way less devastating emotionally than seeing that BFN in many cases. Finally, I know you're anxious to be PG again, but please talk it out with your doctor and listen to them. Being benched a cycle or two in the long run is not a big deal. Use that time to physically and emotionally heal from your MC, enjoy things you couldn't if you were PG, and then prepare for TTCAL.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• @CKONE674 - So sorry for your loss. I agree with PP. Your doctor knows a lot more about your specific medical needs than a bunch of strangers on the internet, and it is also important that you advocate for yourself and understand the advice you're given (in all areas of life, including medical). There are a million reasons the doc could have given you a 2-week wait, best to ask them to discuss with you so you and s/he can together make the right decision for you. I will tell you people say there are ups/downs after a MC and in my experience that is SO true - some days I am frustrated and want to be PG again already, some days the idea of trying alone makes me want to cry from the anxiety of a new pregnancy and fear of another loss. So, take it day-by-day, don't be surprised if your own feelings about trying again wax and wane, and do talk to your doctor about what to expect re: AF, 2-week-wait, etc.

• Welcome @CKONE674.  I’m sorry for your loss. 

Great advice here.  I echo listening to your doctor and riding out your emotions... the longer I’ve been benched the less I’m terrified and more so nervous but ready to try again.  I’m glad I’m in that space to head into it, especially medicated this time. 

It took about six weeks for my AF to come back.  Waiting for that sucked, but waiting for one reason after another for months has sucked also.  The whole TTC process is waiting in one way or another, and MC just really cranks it up.

While I’ve been benched, my sister had an ectopic and then got pregnant again right away and is ten weeks.  I know how it feels to be waiting and waiting and others make it seem so effortless.  It’s so hard to watch others get what you want more than anything.  

• @Kabazaba @ccvslp @dpjennifer @prpl11butterfly I can’t thank you all enough for listening and your heartfelt comments, support and advice. I’ve been reading in this community for the past 4 weeks but didn’t have the courage to write. It just hurt too much to put it in words. Seems like you all suggest a talk with my OB so that is what I’ll do. I think I’ve been hesitant bc of not feeling the support and validation of my emotions after the experience from my ob. I really was and still am pretty traumatized and very depressed so I understand it’s best too wait for that reason alone. It’s such a terrible internal struggle, a crazy emotional rollercoaster. And witnessing those I love go thru what I want so badly just makes me feel worse and amps up my patience. I can’t bare to hear details and yet I love them dearly. While I sit and wait, it just feels like forever. Thank u all ❤️
  • CKONE674 The waiting, while everyone else around you seemingly gets what you desperately want so easily, is exceptionally hard. Trust me, I know. I've been on this path for years now trying for my first... As for your OB, definitely discuss your concerns and see what they say. You may still be encouraged to wait, even if you don't feel you have enough actual reason for it. I'd do it. However, be warned that OBs are not experts, and even experts (REs) can suck and different in 'opinion.' Or at least in my experience they do. My OB was super optimistic after each of my MCs.... the first time she was all "Don't worry. This is way more common than people say. It doesn't mean anything. Just wait a cycle and then try again." Second time she was all, "I know you're worried, but no big deal. I mean, MC is super common and I've seen tons of women come in with 2 MC and go on to have a healthy baby next time." Third time was the same... except she referred me to an RE because I was obviously mentally not handling it well (no shyte... you think?) Her overwhelming optimism makes me want to punch her in the face. Not finding any reason for 4 losses makes me want to scream at her and the REs. Being denied Clomid until I lose 21 lbs. (as if 21 lbs. is what's killing my babies) makes me want to punch the REs in the face. However... with all that being said... honestly, I am more of an anomaly than the norm. I can't tell you how many people have come in here all upset and freaked out over their 1 MC... and they go on to have a healthy rainbow baby 2-8 months later. (some do have a CP before that, FYI). But for the vast majority... they're out of here within a year. Some do take a bit longer before they leave and have their rainbow. Those of us who are stuck here with MC after MC are really the exception. It sucks for us... and if it ends up being you, we'll be here for you. But honestly, your chances of getting the h*ll out of here within a year are super high. So, talk to the OB, but try not to get discouraged. Sitting out a cycle or two can help you clear your head and help you emotionally. And you'll probably be gone before the end of the year.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Definitely talk to your OB. If you truly are not comfortable with them, maybe you should seek out another. If that is the route you go, I wouldn't try again until you've had the chance to meet and discuss the loss with the new one.

Don't ever feel your feelings are not valid. 1 thing I have learned in time here is that we all process differently. Some take it harder then others. It doesn't mean that your not justified to feel the way you do. Because you are. For me the best thing to help has been writing my story to share. I'm better with words on "paper" so it helps me process my feelings better. But it has also helped being open with others IRL. It was hard to vocalize for the first few days. In fact 1 salesman at work was speechless when he asked % wide how much better I was (they all thought I was out sick) and I lost it. I told him and he apologized profusely for asking. That opened the door for me.

It's okay to talk or not to talk, it's okay to cry, yell, be angry. It's okay to process this heatbreaking event however YOU need to help yourself heal.
  • @CKONE674 welcome and I’m very sorry for your loss. I would just be repeating everyone if I tried to offer any advice and it sounds like you are going to talk to your doctor anyway. So I hope they are able to give you some positive information and I hope your stay here is short! 
  • @CKONE674 I am sorry for your loss. Also sorry about feeling invalidated by your OB. The two OBs I’ve had just weren’t equipped to deal with my emotional state or grief.  I also felt invalidated, and that they weren’t listening to my concerns. With my recent loss, I was so infuriated by my OBs casual, optimistic attitude. That and she pushed back on most of the tests I requested.  It’s forced me to be more clear and direct with my OB, and made me consider changing doctors altogether.  Im wishing you luck talking with your doctor!
  • Thought I would be happily sprinting away from the bench today after half a dang year but of course, since I’ve been expecting it, AF is nowhere in sight.  Ugh.  Come onnnn!
  • @ccvslp ugh that is so frustrating! The waiting around is so hard! I thought I was going to find out today if I was off the bench or not but after an email, an appointment and a phone call they are still not sure! Still waiting for one more phone call...
  • @ccvslp these rare occasions in life where we are begging for her to show.....

@char245 you'd think they would have sorted it all out after all that. FX that call comes soon and you can get back in the sheets ;)
  • Found out last night that I’m here for at least another month. My RE office also forgot to call in a prescription for me and luckily I was on top of it or I would have been here even longer! So frustrating when people don’t seem to care to do their jobs!
  • Hi ladies :) I'll be benched for the remainder of March and all of April, likely a bit into May too. I just had my second failed embryo transfer. Technically,  I'm unexplained secondary infertility,  but my RE strongly suspects endometriosis (I have lots of symptoms). Doctors here are very hesitant to perform laps due to the risks of surgery so my diagnosis hasn't been confirmed,  but my RE is going to use an endometriosis protocol on me to see if we can achieve success with it. I'll be put into a chemical menopause for a couple of cycles to suppress and hopefully shrink the endo. I'm terrified of the drug (Lupron) because it seems pretty heavy duty and I really don't like to screw with my body and take medicines (funny to say after going through IVF, I know) - it causes me a lot of health anxiety. I'm trying to remind myself that this is the most effective protocol for endo patients and I don't really have a choice if I want a baby. I'm having a hard time giving up my last chance at a 2018 baby but hopefully a Jan/Feb 2019 baby will be on its way soon. I really hope these next couple of months fly by! 
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @char245 that's annoying. How would they feel in your shoes! But way to stay on top of things. 

@tosh24 Sorry you got benched. It's hard to accept when things need to be paused but it sounds like your in good hands. Anything we can do to have successful pregnancies is worth it in the end. Fx that a new year baby is in your future!
  • @char245 Been there so many times already... nobody feels the same urgency that we do with wanting to be mothers.  Good for you for staying on it and advocating for yourself, you really have to a lot of the time.

@tosh24 Sorry you're here but I'm hopeful for you that this may be what you need to get that baby.  A stinky means to an end.  Spinning your wheels is never fun, though.

AFM... still here.   Stiiiiiiiiill waiting for AF.  (crickets chirp).  I wasn't temping last month (mostly out of spite over being benched still, lol) and I'm now wondering if I caught the veeeeery beginning of the LH surge with my OPK and ovulated a day later than I've been thinking.  I also have had a couple of 16 day LPs in the past but the last two have been 15 days sooooooo I don't know.  I'm definitely going to be temping next month along with our timed intercourse/estrogen/progesterone protocol to confirm what's going on, though.  My type A-ness isn't great with this guess work and it gives me some "control" in a process that we don't get much in.  
  • etnyahetnyah member
    edited March 2018
    Well I’m actually kind of glad I’m benched, because I don’t know when this cycle started. I’ve been spotting on and off since last Friday, but didn’t start normal AF flow until last night, so I’m going to count today as CD1. This is not normal for me, AF usually likes to uh... make an entrance with a vengeance. Spotting doesn’t count as AF start, right?

I originally counted a couple days ago as CD1, but resetting the clock to today would also make sense with my LP, since yesterday was 14dpo and my LP is usually 13-14 days. 
  • Thanks, ladies! 

@grebretso no, spotting does not count. Red flow requiring a pad/tampon is when CD1 starts :)
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Thanks, @tosh24, I thought as much! And I’m sorry to see you on the bench for so long, hopefully the next couple months will fly by! 
  • @tosh24 I’m sorry you have to go through all of that! But I’m sure it’s nice to feel like you have a plan and are making progress.

@grebretso I agree, I would count today as CD1. Spotting is so annoying!

@ccvslp it is so hard being type A and going through this! But at least we know we are on top of things! Here’s hoping AF shows up today!
  • Finally... back in the game.  Moving over to WTO for my first big bad medicated cycle.  Fingers toes and eyeballs crossed.  
  • @ccvslp good luck!!! Crossing all the things for you!
  • Finally indeed, @ccvslp!! Good luck!