June 2018 Moms

FTM Check In (March)

Well, we're a couple weeks late, but better late than never, right??

How far along are you? How big is baby?

How are you feeling? Mentally/physically? Any new symptoms?

Rants? Raves? Questions

GTKY: If you could have any animal as a pet, what animal would you choose?

Image result for first time mom gif
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: FTM Check In (March)

• How far along are you? How big is baby28+4, an echidna?? 

How are you feeling? Mentally/physically? Any new symptoms? Physically I'm mostly fine except for the SPD pain which is really only bad if I walk for more than an hour straight or when I'm putting on pants/rolling over in bed. Mentally... IDK, having my mom here is sort of driving me insane. I think it's my own fault. She wants so desperately to be helpful, and obviously I would love to have the help, but she asks so many questions and needs so much hand holding regardless of how many times I answer her questions that it's basically easier for me to just do it myself. Which frustrates me because it's like having a carrot dangled in front of me like oooo you're going to have help! but then the carrot is imaginary. Or the carrot isn't a carrot, but it really wants to be a carrot. IDK. It's putting me in such a bad mood which is making everything worse. 

Rants? Raves? Questions? See above for rant. Raves... we ordered our glider/recliner finally so I don't have to think about that again until it arrives. At this point I'm just excited for our shower to be over in a week and a half so I can confirm no one is actually going to get us anything we need/want and instead will just give us stuff they want to give us lol (I mean, maybe people are just going to order online last minute, and won't actually bring the gifts to the shower but will instead just tell us what's on the way? But I am skeptical) so I can start buying everything on our registries and stop thinking about the things we still have yet to get. 

GTKY: If you could have any animal as a pet, what animal would you choose? I mean.... I have a dog, and she is the best. But like a weird animal? IDK, I'm not a huge fan of the idea of people having wild animals like monkeys or whatever as pets. Even hedgehogs are apparently really unethical to keep as pets? Hedgehogs are cute AF, though. I'd love to have a cat if DH and I weren't both allergic... so maybe in this theoretical scenario we both don't have allergies, and we have a cat? 
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 26+3 going science: about 14 inches and 1.68 lbs

How are you feeling? Mentally/physically? Any new symptoms? I am getting sick of people asking me how I'm feeling. I think they don't actually care to know its just something to ask and usually I just say I'm fine. Like I am not going to go into detail about how I want to rip my legs out of my hips to get some relief to the random manager from upstairs. But in reality I do want to rip my legs off. I made a chiropractor appointment for next week. I am really hoping that helps. I try to lay flat on my back on the floor at night to straighten everything out and it is excruciating on my left lower back/hip. 

Rants? Raves? Questions? see above for rants lol Raves: MH will be out of town for the weekend so I am excited to just veg by myself. Are you guys doing maternity photos? I don't really like them but our photographer does a package of maternity, NB, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months so we're doing them. I'm hoping some STM's post their photos from before so I can get some inspo. Honestly I think they all look kind of weird and too posed. 

GTKY: If you could have any animal as a pet, what animal would you choose? We already have a dog and a cat but I would probably just get another dog. Maybe a guinea pig. I always had them growing up and I think they are fun. I like their squeaks. 

@doxiemoxie212 GL with your mom. I'm no help because I would just rather do things myself too. Maybe just let her do it and if you have to go back and redo it later so be it. At least it will make her feel good to be able to help. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Loading the player...
  • @krashke I am trying to find an osteopath that works with insurance to do an adjustment on me, but there aren't that many in the city in general, and it seems like none of them even try to work with insurance so I'd be on my own submitting forms to maybe get reimbursed - and its like $600 for the first visit! So I might go down the chiropractor route instead. Unlike you, I feel like one of my legs is actively falling off lol - haven't decided if I'd like to rip it off yet, currently thinking I would prefer someone to jam it back in. :D  but I might change my mind. 

RE: just letting my mom do stuff.... I would, but the stuff she wants to do is cook (ie, ruin) dinner or do my laundry (ie, shrink my laundry). Like, I would actually cry if she shrank my maternity clothes, so I just tell her she isn't allowed to help. So today she followed me down into the laundry room and physically took notes as I was doing my laundry. An actual transcript of our conversation:

Mom: okay, so you put the detergent in the slot that says detergent?
    Me: ...yes
    Mom: okay, so then you put the fabric softener in the slot that says fabric softener, do I have that correct?
    Me: ....yes

(Would be funny if she weren't dead serious, and literally taking notes) 
  • @doxiemoxie212 I'll let you know how the chiropractor goes if you haven't decided after next week. 

haha that sounds painful with your mom but I would feel the same way about laundry. I am just now teaching MH how to do the laundry because he would shrink everything and it's mostly his clothes that can't be dried because he is 6'5". I have been letting go of the folding too. I am usually really particular about how things are folded, thanks to 5 years in clothing retail, but I have wanted the help more. So I will let him fold his own clothes as long as he doesn't do mine. If his clothes are all wrinkly that is his problem. 

Maybe she can do the dishes? At least wash them? It would be hard to screw that up. I imagine putting them away could result in a million questions but just washing them shouldn't be that hard. 

I was going to suggest vacuuming and then I remembered that I usually have to go over everything again when I let MH vacuum. Maybe dusting? Just give her a swiffer and let her go to town. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke she is doing dishes pretty well, so that has been nice. The folding - oh man. We got in such a fight about it because I even have one of those crazy fold boards I bought a couple months ago because I thought it would make folding go faster. The instructions are literally ON THE DAMN THING, but she couldn't figure out how it works. And she thought I was being "too particular" but if they're not folded properly they don't fit in the stupid drawers! But even once she got the hang of it, it was like, for every item: "Does this get folded? Or hung up? Folded or hung up? Folded or hung up?" lolz DH just jams all of his stuff in his drawers if I don't fold it for him, and then he pouts at me that it doesn't fit, and he can't close his drawers, and everything is wrinkly. 
  • @doxiemoxie212  Excellent Mom task suggestions already from @krashke, to which I'll add: simple errand running. I would LOVE to have someone drop off/pick up dry cleaning, ship packages, return library books, etc. When you have to return 90% of the stuff people get you at your shower ;) she could become invaluable!

@krashke Nope, no maternity photos here, but your photographer package sounds awesome. In my head, mat photos will be something like a bridal session -- every photo will be super posed and kind of clichéd, but you'll look beautiful and have something to remember this very fleeting stage of life by. 

How far along are you? How big is baby? 25 weeks tomorrow

How are you feeling? Mentally/physically? Any new symptoms? I'm doing just fine, but haven't felt up to working out very hard recently and I can already feel the toll that's taking on my mental state. Several of the STMs mentioned recently on a separate thread that they've been pregnant and/or BFing for going on 4 years now and it really struck home for me. I've always thought we'd have our kiddos back-to-back, but that's a lot to ask. Physically, I've started waking up with pain in my upper thighs and think it's time to invest in a giant pillow or two. 

Rants? Raves? Questions? My parents are in town this weekend and, while I generally dread visitors and the house cleaning / lack of downtime that accompanies them, I'm really looking forward to it. We're going to do some maternity clothes shopping (finally) and pick out fabric for her to make us crib sheets, as I've fallen in love with an oval shaped crib that works with nothing in stores.

GTKY: If you could have any animal as a pet, what animal would you choose? A Maine Coon. Like, a huge one. I'm a dog person generally, but something about those giant, furry geniuses just thrills me.   

• How far along are you? How big is baby?
    27.5 - measuring a tad ahead at 2lbs {basically just a week ahead}

I post on the mental health one, but talked to GP about claustrophobia. I have a follow up and discussed going back on normal meds and not breastfeeding.
    Physically .... idk. Depends on the day. I got a brace that velcros around your waist. It def helps, especially at night - which seems to be the worst.
    Indigestion has gotten to the zantac portion. Some days okay, some days horrible.

Rants? Raves? Questions?
    Rave! The belt I got is friggen amazing! My only complaint is that it moves a lot because it's just Velcro around you. But it helps so much with pelvic and back pressure.
    This is it:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B079C1MZXT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I looked at others, and a friend has another one she wasn't a fan of because of the way it sat. She's much bigger/further but when she showed me, I knew it'd be annoying.

I really want a hedgehog lmao! MH and I are talking about a dog later on though. I'm not against dogs, I just know they're a big deal. Basically it'll be in about 3-4yrs it's baby 2 or dog. {I'm leaning towards dog tbh}
  • @doxiemoxie212 all of your mom stories makes me so worried for when my mom comes out right after my due date. It will be a very similar experience I'm sure. Plus she has very limited mobility and I honestly don't know if I would even want her holding the baby unless she's seated on the couch. 

@emiliadkay I grew up with Maine Coons and they are wonderful fluffy monsters. My mom still has one and he know how to open doors. It's a little unnerving. 

27+6 big siracha bottle? 

Feeling pretty good. The pain in my upper abdomen/ribs is getting on my nerves. It hurts extra bad when rolling over in bed. I also can feel some nesting tendencies starting but we don't have anything for the nursery yet so I'm just aimlessly walking around the house tidying up. 

Rants? Raves? Questions
    I ranted enough for the week on Monday. For raves my friend just texted me saying the zoo called her for a reference. That feels like a good sign, right? Like usually they don't call references unless they want to hire you. Fingers crossed!

Like @doxiemoxie212 I'm not a fan of wild animals as pets. A lot of the animals I've worked with over the years have been abandoned pets and some of them were smuggled into the country from their native habitat. Plus people who just toss their pets into the wild can create horrible invasive species problems... 
    But now that I've stepped down off that platform, if I lived somewhere with land I would 100% want sheep. If I ever get done with society and want to go off the grid I will absolutely be a sheep farmer. 

Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 FX for you with the job! I definitely don't think they would waste their time contacting references if they weren't thinking of making an offer. 
    *TW LC*

• @Amphibious22 I'd totally say that's a great sign - my fingers are still crossed for you!

27+6, size of a fennec fox I think?  Or TB says a head of lettuce.  New size tomorrow though starting with 3rd tri :)

Overall good.  I think she's moved positions so I don't feel her as much at the moment which can be hard sometimes.  I feel like this pregnancy is just dragging by now.  I think the mix of the waiting game plus just being home and not working is getting really boring to me.  I don't think I have any new symptoms.

Rants? Raves? Questions
    I have my glucose test this Friday and my sugar consumption has always been higher than average so I'm uncertain what effects that might have on tbe test.  But I leave for Canada on Saturday and my shower is Sunday.  Then next Friday I leave for England for a week.  So it'll take a good chunk of time out of the waiting game.  I'm trying to figure out what classes to take at the hospital... I doubt I'll do the breathing ones as I have no intention if staying med free.  But there's a birthing and baby blitz class, a breastfeeding class, a cpr class and the tour that all interest me but I don't know if it's overkill.  

I love my dog obviously (despite turning 1 and becoming an energetic mess lately, cue more training when I get back from my trip).  I always wanted an African Grey.  But you need to get one of those while you're young (or they'll outlive you) and with the dog, two birds and upcoming child (plus how many more in the future?) I just don't think it would be fair to any of the pets to take more time from them. 

When I was young I obsessed over having a Chimpanzee.  I begged and begged my mom lol.  I was stupid.
  • bearmoonsbearmoons member
    edited March 2018

26+5, app says 1.6 pounds, but at 23 weeks she was 1.6 pounds...so, who knows! But in the last week or so she has definitely had a growth spurt.

I'm doing ok. My mid back/front right ribs hurt, my right hip is hurting today, hoping I was just sitting too much. I am starting to get ankle swelling. And I'm still throwing up. But otherwise I feel good. The babe is super active, which is really cool. But she is most active overnight

Rants? Raves? Questions
    MH, my dad, and my bro are redoing our main floors....and I love it. I'm so happy to be rid of carpet!!

I wish I could have my sweet, cuddly little dog back, who we had to put down in September. She was my little doggy soulmate. It would be so nice to snuggle with her after work. We will get another dog someday, it's just (for obvious reasons) not a good time!

ETA: because it seems it cut off my last 2 questions/responses...haha. 
  • @bearmoons You're a trooper. Sounds like that baby's putting you through a lot physically, but I'm glad you can still say you feel good generally!

@becca_123 I'll vote for the tour and the CPR class first in case you burn out, but if you're enjoying the classes and they're free, why not do them all? I'm super jealous of your trip to England though that flight can't be fun. Hope you enjoy and time flies.

@Amphibious22 100% a good sign. FX!
  • @emiliadkay They are not free, except the tour, which is why it's tough deciding lol
  • @becca_123 I would say regardless of your "birth plan" (epi or no epi or whatever) it would probably be good to do some type of birth class that goes over the stages of labor and what to expect in each stage and what YH can do to help. You wont be able to get an epi right away so you will have to cope with the pain on your own until then. They will also likely send you home if you come into the hospital too early so knowing a little about when to go in would be good it. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke definitely had to read that a few times to realize that epi meant epidural and not epi-pen. #justfoodallergythings
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @becca_123 I agree with @krashke and will say that I think if I were dead set on an epidural, I would especially want a class that talks about stages of labor and what is happening because I think I would want to feel like I could visualize what's happening in my body to help it progress if I couldn't feel it, if that makes sense? And yeah, at my birth class they said that a lot of hospitals in NYC will send you home if you're not at least 5-6 cm dilated (unless your water has already broken or you're GBS+) because of crowding, so that could be a lot of time spent in pain before an epidural is available. 
  • @krashke The babies and birthing blitz does that.  The birthing part goes over what to expect in the hospital and the babies part is for people who have had basically zero interaction with babies (ahem, me).  Since it's a blitz, the description specifically says it doesn't go over the breathing techniques, and I felt the hospital "routine" was more important for me than the breathing methods.  This class is $120 pp though and I wanted DH to come with.  I should probably just do them all, so I know what to expect, as you said.
  • krash_krash_ member
    edited March 2018
    @becca_123 honestly I don't think the breathing is all that important. I don't know exactly what kind of breathing they teach but basically what I've learned so far is about using low abdominal breathing, like yoga breathing, as that is what will open up your pelvis and help baby drop. Chest breathing like what you see in the movies (he he hooo) isn't really used anymore because that actually brings your abdominals up and doesn't allow you to relax, as well as potentially making you short of breath and increasing your blood pressure. Most nurses/OB's/midwives will encourage you to take lower breaths. 

Also $120 pp seems expensive. Our class was 10 weeks two hours a week and was $375 for the two of us. 

ETA: I guess that is all to say that I would do the babies and birthing blitz
    *TW LC*

• Hi all!

25+2 today, prairie dog/cauliflower/baseball glove?

Feeling good and can't really complain a ton right now (although that never stopped me before haha). Congestion is still there but it's definitely improved since last week. Gas is still horrible... sorry (not sorry) husband. Sleeping is getting more uncomfortable by the day. Mentally I feel good though and getting really excited for my shower next month and for starting to get the nursery ready. 

Rants? Raves? Questions
    My rant is that I am really tired of cold weather and ready for it to be warmer. Last month we had a chunk of super warm days where I could go out for walks and not freeze my ass off and I felt a lot better about myself and lack of general activity. This month keeps teasing me with sunny days but it's still cold and windy. Although I guess I am thankful to not live in MA like my in-laws who have been covered with snow and without power for days.  

I have 2 cats now and I probably wouldn't choose anything different haha. I love them. But if it weren't a ton of work I do think it would be cool to have chickens for their eggs. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @krashke Thanks for the tips.  Maybe YouTube will be a good source as well for breathing.  And I agree, it is expensive and it's just a one day thing (with breakfast, but I doubt it's anything more than continental).  I feel like it will be invaluable though.
  • @doxiemoxie212 Sorry I just saw your reply.  I'll definitely do the blitz one then, it sounds highly recommended.  I would do the weekly one but I wanted DH to come and he can't commit to the weeklys because of his business.  
  • @becca_123 youtube would be great I'm sure! I will have to remember that because our class ends next week and I might want a refresher. I guess in the grand scheme of things when you are paying thousands for birth and obviously want a healthy baby and healthy mama $240 isn't a big deal. 

@elsie42 I have wanted chickens for so long! Where we lived in WI you couldn't have them. Then we moved to the Twin Cities and you can have them in Minneapolis but we unknowingly bought a house in a suburb that doesn't allow them! 
    *TW LC*

• @elsie42 @krashke YES I forgot about chickens as an option! They're not allowed here either, but we live in a kind of hipster-y area and two of our neighbors definitely have them anyway. So tempting. And hatching a couple chickens would be such a cool thing to do with kiddos some summer...
  • Hi guys!
    I'm bumping up our FTM thread for March. 

How is everyone feeling? Any new symptoms

As we start to enter into the third trimester, anyone have any questions/concerns

GTKY: What is your favorite family vacation? It can be from when you were a kid or something you do now, with your own family
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi! 

I feeling good. Mostly just sore a lot of the time. I think I have gotten into a good routine for sleeping so that has been better. Although I am going out of town this weekend, definitely bringing my body pillow) but I'm sure it will throw things off. 

I don't think I have an questions about 3rd tri. It is crazy to think we are that far along. I am mostly just looking forward to preparing everything. My shower is this weekend so it will be nice to finally have a bunch of the stuff we need. It seems like everything is jam packed into the last two months which is going to make this time fly!

Favorite family vacation...I have a lot of good memories from different vacations. Like when we went to Florida and I loved all the hibiscus flowers but thought they were called Hi Biscuits so I walked around waving to them. Hibiscus is my favorite flower now and I have a tattoo of one from a picture I took on vacation in Key West. But my overall favorite vacations are the few times I have been to Disney. I had the pleasure of taking my BFF and MH for their first times last fall. I would definitely recommend going on an adults only Disney trip sometime and especially during Epcot Food and Wine Fest. That was a great time! 
    *TW LC*

• How is everyone feeling? Any new symptoms?
    Well I've been updating about my back. Otherwise, nothing new.
    Belly button still an innie and surprised at lack of strech marks. I somewhat expected a couple, maybe not on belly but boobs at least because it seems they grew fast. Ah well ... it ain't over.

As we start to enter into the third trimester, anyone have any questions/concerns?
    Always a concern about any issues coming up that could affect mine or baby's health, but so far so good.
    My H is/was concerned about my blood pressure because -100% unnecessary - stress kind of came into our lives but no issues with that.

GTKY: What is your favorite family vacation? It can be from when you were a kid or something you do now, with your own family
    Not really a vacation, but we use to have a trailer and I spent majority of my summers from 3 - 11/12 up there. My grampa was also up there, so it could give me some independence. Only thing that my parents had a rule about, was no going in the water without an adult. Which was fine, because they often took me. Unless something else was happening, we pretty much went whenever I asked - and typically I asked that morning when we could go. The closest I could go without adult supervision was to my ankles, and that was the "test how warm the water is to figure out when I can go swimming" lol

I have told my H I would love to take him there, even though there's a lot of changes since, because I loved the area and want to share it with him. He wants to camp - tent camping - but I may have convinced him to look at renting a trailer, especially with LO ;)
  • How is everyone feeling? Any new symptoms? Oh, just over here basically unable to walk/stand/sit comfortably so I spend a lot of time in bed laying down hoping I'm not atrophying too much lol. If I didn't have to walk our dog 2-3 times a day, I seriously don't know that I would do much of anything. Today I need to walk 15-20 min to the grocery store, walk around the grocery store and then walk back, and I am dreading it (partially because it's raining, but also because I know I'll be at like an 8 on the pain scale by the time I get back). 

As we start to enter into the third trimester, anyone have any questions/concerns? Y'all, on Saturday I'm 31 weeks, and I'll be in single digit weeks. WTF. I'm starting to feel like, how can I get more pregnant? I don't have enough skin. I don't have enough room. lol I've already gained 28 lbs!

GTKY: What is your favorite family vacation? It can be from when you were a kid or something you do now, with your own family. We didn't really go on many vacations when I was little, partially because we didn't have a ton of money, and partially because my parents worked in the film industry where it was hard to know when they were going to have a show to work on and when they wouldn't, so we never planned in advance, and vacations are hard to take last minute. We did go to Mendocino a few times when I was little, and that was fun, and my grandparents lived in Santa Cruz so we'd go to the boardwalk there every 4th of July and that was fun. 
  • I always miss these things. With 2 days left in the month here i go

Basically 30 weeks. Almost 3 lbs 

permanently swollen feet & ankles. So uncomfortable and unattractive. Im about to give up on shoes and go to the plastic flip flops. Lots of kicking which is good makes basically everything uncomfortable. Mentally I’m ok. Heart burn is basically all day too no matter what. 

Biggest concern about third tri is if it gets worst how will i sleep, walk, sit, everything is a struggle.

favorite vacations were camping/ cabins (perferred) with my family. Cooking and eating outside and just enjoying the outdoors. Its so much fun when hygiene and dirt isn’t a big deal. Once you hit like 11/12 its not nearly as fun for more than one night, you miss hot showers and not constantly sweating. 

Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • How is everyone feeling? Any new symptoms
    Nothing new, just worsening SPD pain. And my nausea/vomiting (that never really went away but definitely improved) is coming back strong. I'm still fine going to work and doing some things around the house, but I feel like I'm basically useless. Good thing DH is such a good guy and is really stepping up. 

As we start to enter into the third trimester, anyone have any questions/concerns
    My only concern is going too early. There's no signs of that though, so I'm not that worried. 

GTKY: What is your favorite family vacation? It can be from when you were a kid or something you do now, with your own family.  
    We went to the BWCA almost every summer. The air is so clean, the land so untouched. I definitely plan on us going as a family when the babe is a little older.