June 2018 Moms

Ask Your Questions Here (3/12)

Re: Ask Your Questions Here (3/12)

• @izza2 mine grow pretty fast normally but they seem to be growing even faster lately too. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Re: BLW. We tried it with DD. I am too anxious and I didn’t like listening to her gag. Happens a lot. We did purées and table food here and there. She wasn’t knawing on chicken wings.

Re: showers. I had two showers for my first pregnancy. Pretty sure I wore pants for one of them. Nobody will care once you start unwrapping baby clothes.

Re: doulas. I have a bad taste in my mouth about them because I went to a meet and greet event during my first and 90% seemed pretty judgemental. I wasn’t delivering at the right hospital. I didn’t have a specific enough birth plan. I was being told I was high risk by my doctors when I really wasn’t. (For real...) Won’t my baby also have Diabetes? Anyway, the two I met that I did like both weren’t available around my due date and I wanted their support for a situation that never happened. So, I guess if you want a Med free birth from the start, get one. My cousin loved hers. But most can’t seem to wrap their heads around high risk pregnancies.
  • Loading the player...
  • @doxiemoxie212 I would highly recommend asking around, maybe on social media if you're comfortable, for recommendations for a doula. As I have stated before, mine was a friend from middle school who shares the same best friend as me. She was invaluable, but she has the kind of personality that would have made her that way regardless of whether we had met previously. You still have time, talk to a couple of them. Just like with an OB, if you aren't satisfied, you can always go elsewhere.
  • @krashke we did BLW and it worked well for us! We waited until 6 months to give solids and started with things like bananas and steamed veggies. I definitely think having a thread for it will be helpful later on. 
  • We did not do BLW, in the traditional sense. My 98th percentile DD was asking for solids at 4 mos, and because she could sit up with assistance, was tracking us constantly, and in fact would wake up from a nap or bedtime if we heated any food for us to eat. Doctor said start her on cereal, then purees for 1 meal - 2 meals a day with formula. She took to it like a duck to water.

As she got older we made sure to challenge her palate with textures, and temperatures, and once old enough, shared meals with her from our plate... which we continue to do today. I read somewhere that there is awindow when they are open to new foods and experience, and so I was trying to get her onto as many things as possible!

She loves shwarma, chicken satay, pasta, deluxe pizza, tacos, asparagus, hummus, won ton soup, and cut up veggies and a wide variety of fruits. Plus will eat an array of all kinds of other foods. 

Here's to hoping this next one is the same!
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @rnielsen321 You are so lucky that your S15 DD is a willing eater.  DS (also S15) will eat pizza, plain pasta (or mac and cheese), bread products and fruit. He won't touch anything with "spice" (which could be cumin).  As a baby and young toddler he would eat anything. We took him to France and he ate foie gras, all the stinky cheeses, random meats - - now, nothing.  I hate the pickiness.

• @krashke Our approach to BLW was similar to @sunshineandwhiskey's. Puree's at daycare, but I also left it to the director's discretion to feed them what was being served to the older kids, if appropriate. At home, we started with avocado and mashed sweet potato, and if the food was soft, I left it intact, so they could figure out for themselves how much to bite off. DD is almost 4 and asks for celery, black olives, carrots, and all kinds of fruit. 

• Thank you all for the advice on BLW! I think we definitely need to do a thread after the babies are born. We are going with an in-home provider so I think as long as it doesn't interfere with her ability to feed the other kids and we provide it she will pretty much do anything. I was the worst eater as a kid. I didn't start eating veggies regularly until college. So I'm hoping to avoid that with my own kid because I you know, karma. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• What are everyone's thoughts on laundry detergent for baby stuff? I don't know why, but I've done so much research on this one topic (could be related to my plan to CD). Are you doing infant detergent like dreft? Free and gentle? Eco friendly? Or just straight up tide? 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 Straight up Tide, which is what we use normally.  Obviously if we notice a sensitivity, then we will change.  But DD was fine, and i just made sure to wash everything with the tide before she wore it.  
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Amphibious22 We did Dreft for everybody for the first year w/DD. By the time DS1 came along though, we had started using free & clear whatever with the Dreft scent booster for the kids and the Downy Unstopables for DH & I. We tried using eco-friendly detergents/stain removers like Seventh Generation and Honest, but just weren't impressed. Blow-outs can do serious damage and even with the good stuff, I have sometimes needed to wash things three and four times.
  • @amphibious22 we used all free and clear with DS (whcih is what we used).  We switched to method unscented at some point.  I don't like fragrence in my laundry soap and both DS and I have sensitive skin, so the more eco-friendly stuff is better for us.
  • @Amphibious22 we use all free and clear, because everyone but me has sensitive skin. Super lame because I like laundry that smells nice
  • @sunshineandwhiskey I think that's what I want to do. We use tide pods for ourselves, but am not sure if pods are okay for baby. I mean obviously monitor for sensitivities too. 

@marcus7676 @May14th2011 did you guys find that free and clear gets the clothes clean on a single wash? I know it's super recommended for babies, but I've also heard that the cleaning power isn't the same. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 yes and I use it on DH's gross uniforms, that have usually been worn for a week straight outside in 120F weather. No issues as long as I use hot water. 
  • @Amphibious22 tide free and gentle bc that’s what I have always used. I sometimes throw in a tide free and gentle booster pac for stains. 
  • @Amphibious22 we used free and clear for YEARS before DS and never had a problem.  There have definitely been outfits that have needed a second wash, but I think that's normal with babies / toddlers.  I also stain stick anything that is super dirty with Ecover (an eco-friendly stain stick).  I rarely need to wash things multiple times now.

• @amphibious22 we used dreft then a tide free and gentle for about 6 months with ds, then figured he was all cuddled up with us/our clothes and towels and he was fine so we just started using our regular stuff. I did buy the tide free and gentle to wash the baby clothes now though, just till we know if he has any sensitivities.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Tide Pods have a free and gentle line. We use that, or Kirkland Free. If I’m washing toddler clothes, I throw in Oxy Clean Powder.

I’m not specifically buying Dreft unless someone brings it over as a gift or wants to get rid of it. It IS a good detergent for your underwear and bras, though. But, Baby Oxy Clean is what we used for stains and blowouts. That stuff is amazing.

• catlady1215catlady1215 member
    edited March 2018
    I'm sure I could find this somewhere on their website. But the Amazon registry completion code, is it a one time use type thing?

pretty sure that's where the car seat is coming from. Want to order soon but not sure if I need to decide on all Amazon things first. 
  • @catlady1215 you can use it on two orders of up to $2,000 60 days before the expected arrival date and 60 days after the expected arrival date. 
    *TW LC*

• To piggyback on @catlady1215's question, does the stuff have to already be on the registry or can you just add something anytime within the 120 day window and use the discount? 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 you can add items anytime. After the shower I will probably add anything we need from Amazon to the registry and do one big order. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke ohhh that's nice! Thanks!
  • +1 for baby oxyclean Or oxyclean free. 
  • We used all free and clear at first but now use regular tide. DD never had sensitive skin. 
  • We use Tide or Persil and will do that for this baby too.  @amphibious22 if you're wanting to cloth diaper beware of liquid All Free and Clear.  It has a component derived from coconut oil that can cause a build up in absorbent things like CD or towels and cause repelling and other issues.

I had used all free and clear for other laundry without issues however.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How are motherhood’s maternity jeans? Will they stay up or are they like the rest? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista I have two pairs of motherhood jeans and I love them both! They stay up super well for me. I also got a pair of jeggings that I wear pretty frequently. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 since we’ve lived together we’ve always used free & clear (i have sensitive skin), so we’ll continue with that. We put some dreft on the registry in case someone just wants to buy it but its not something we’ll be buying regularly. 

@kraske my husband is 32 he still doesn’t eat vegetables. In fact hes most parents worst nightmare as far as picky eaters. I was like a lot of ppl i had select veggies I’d eat as a kid but by the time I got to college I loved all veggies (except peas I can’t with the texture). But DH is as picky as they come (I literally have won money betting he wouldn’t eat something that “everyone loves”). His diet is probably much any cooked meat/ seafood (so no sushi), bread, eggs, fries, chips, rice, pizza, and anything cajun/ creole (gumbo, etc). 7 years together I’ve never seen him eat a vegatable (unless it was discretely in gumbo or other other cajun stews), rarely eats fruit (maybe a couple bites of watermelon or grapefruit if were on vacation and fruit comes with breakfast), I’ve never seen him eat dairy outside of cheese on pizza. he doesn’t eat stables like mac & cheese, pancakes, burgers, mashed or baked potoes (only fries), cereal, ice cream. Hes a very discouraging case. His diet is so boring, i only go out to eat with him a couple times a year. It use to seriously bother me when we first started dating, I couldn’t even pack my bf a lunch. The first time he ever stayed over to my place I made him breakfast in bed, he ate a couple bites of eggs and left my meal on the nightstand. But I’ve grown use to it. Even if i make a huge southern meal I know to be sure there’s meat and rice bc thats all he’ll eat. His friends always brag what a great cook I am and he jokes food was never the way to his heart thats how he knows he really loves me. I’m expecting at least one of our kids to be picky like him. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • DH is also very short (like 5’4/5’5 on a good day) while is dad (5’8/5’9) & mom (5’5) are average height. What guy is shorter than their mom? We’re having a son so I’ve been asked about my predictions with his height, i always say idk but I blame DH’s shorter statute on his unbalanced unhealthy diet. So maybe my son will have a chance? Idk
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @Austenista I don't have their jeans, but I do have their pants, and I love them.  I bought my jeans there, but I think they're Jessica Simpson, and they do NOT stay up haha
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista I have full-panel Motherhood jeans and I love them. 
  • I'm using Dreft only because I tried the free and clear and I hated that the clothes didn't have a clean scent to them. They still borderline smelled dirty. Bleh
  • @ffw0617 DH is 6 feet, but none of his other brothers are that tall. The youngest is 19 so might still be growing and might get there, but one of his brothers is shorter than his mom who is pretttty short. DH had the worst diet of all time before he met me (Popeyes fried chicken, McNuggets, pepperoni pizza or a subway sandwich with zero vegetables), so I can’t imagine his diet is why he’s tallest. His brothers were never picky like he was. (Thankfully now he’s vegetarian and eats tons of veggies so I don’t worry as much about him just keeling over and dying one day lol.)

But it’s true that generally speaking, men will be taller than their mothers, the theory being that it takes “taller dna” to have a woman be tall so translated to her sons that will be even taller, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t recessive genes (would they actually be recessive in this case...? idk if height is like eye color...) etc that your kid could get. Like my mom is the second tallest woman in our family. We had to trace back like five generations on my dads side to find anyone remotely tall. So what are the chances the height continues? I don’t know. I think we’ll have a menagerie if DH gets his wish and we have 5 kids. Just a bunch of kids who look adopted lol. 
  • +1 to Tide is the best. We use the scented stuff now but I'll switch to the free & gentle one before baby comes. I'd rather just use the same thing on all our clothes. 

New question - has anyone had nursery furniture delivered from BRU? I'm trying to decide if I wanna pay the $125 to get it delivered. The other option is to go pick it up at the store but then we'd have to either borrow a friend's truck (and the friend, because I definitely can't help DH carry it) or rent a truck (and still need a friend). But their website talks about how it's "curbside" delivery and not in-home and how someone should be home to help bring it into your home. So we'd need a friend to help bring it upstairs anyway. Why am I making this more complicated than it should be? :tired_face:
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @Austenista. My first pair from motherhood (full panel) absolutely do not stay up but I think attribute that to my body type.  I ordered a pair of skinny jeans (full panel) and they seem to do the trick!  I haven't worn them for a full day yet so I'm not sure what's gonna happen once they stretch a bit.

@elsie42 I just got my glider from BRU this week and said f it to the delivery charge.  DH and his friend went to pick it up but we have a truck and a glider is pretty simple to carry.  I definitely had my dresser and crib delivered from BBB, which was $99 for up to 5 pieces of furniture which I thought was reasonable.  But they put it in my room.  My stairs and hallway are closed in so it was definitely worth that delivery for me.  That's so bizarre that it's only curbside?  I will tell you that on the BBB website the delivery info was completely different to what they offered if you went in store to order it.  Maybe TRU is the same.
  • krash_krash_ member
    edited March 2018
    @elsie42 we picked up our crib and glider from BBB. MH has a pick up truck so we didn't have to borrow one but they were able to load it at the store really easily (they had a jack type thing that hoisted it up to the level of the truck bed and slide it in). When we got home he was able to pull them out of the truck on his own and then use a dolly to wheel them inside. We have a ranch so they only had to go up the few stairs into the house from the garage but the dolly would be able to do stairs. 

The crib was definitely heavy so you will need a friend or a dolly. The glider wasn't too bad. It was actually too big in the box to get through the door so we had to open it in the garage and take it out of the box and carry it in. 
    *TW LC*

• @becca_123 good idea about going in store, maybe I will try that this weekend. 

@krashke we actually picked up the crib from the store this weekend (borrowed friend's truck). I was able to help DH get it out of the truck and inside the house and then we just opened the box downstairs and carried the pieces upstairs one by one (much easier). But the dresser we want comes assembled so it would be much harder to bring up. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020