2nd Trimester

Congestion or Rhinitis During Pregnancy

I have been dealing with sinus congestion and coughing for about 10 weeks now. It started when I was around 10 weeks and now I am 20 weeks. It goes in spurts where I had just a cough and clear phlegm (tmi) to now having more congestion and sinus pressure. My OB thought I may have had a sinus infection and prescribed me antibiotics, but it turns out I am allergic to the amoxicillin so I stopped taking it. I am concerned about taking anything because I feel like this is just a weird side effect of this pregnancy. I have done all the home remedies (humidifier, hot shower, fluids, rest, exercise, diffuser, etc.) Has anyone else dealt with rhinitis or congestion? When will it end? I just can't imagine being congested my whole pregnancy! :( 

Re: Congestion or Rhinitis During Pregnancy

• Yup, congestion and/or rhinitis during pregnancy is pretty common. I'm currently 36+5 and have been noticeably congested since early 2nd trimester. I now snore like crazy (when I never used to snore at all) and it's not uncommon for me to not be able to breath through my nose at all during the day or night. I don't anticipate it getting any better until after I give birth. 

Pregnancy is just so glamorous  :D

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Thank you for letting me know! I don't know anyone personally who has had it so I feel like people keep trying to get me to go to a general practitioner and I just think it is rhinitis so I don't want to go to the dr. I am sorry you're suffering with it, but so glad you can relate too! I never had this with my first pregnancy so this is new for me! lol 
  • Loading the player...
  • izza2izza2 member
    I've been dealing with rhinitis for 3 months now. It sucks, but I've just been dealing with it.
    It gets slightly better as the day goes on (this only started 3 weeks ago or so), but still sucks all around.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• I used Vick’s vapor rub, saline nasal spray and a humidifier to combat my congestion and dry nasal passages.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Yup I’ve been congested since first tri. Also no matter how much i blow my nose i got boogers each time. Oh the joys of pregnancy. 
  • Right?! Ugh, so glad I am not alone in this! 
  • muggle621muggle621 member
    edited March 2018
    Mine is still going on and I'm almost 40 weeks. I assume it will end a week or so after the baby is born. Taking an allergy med approved by my doctor has helped some. 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Try a neti pot! Also, i had a sinus infection and bronchitis, and they did say the normal, plain mucinex is okay to take.  
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you! I am thinking of getting a neti pot! Hopefully it works :) 
  • Yes! I’ve had it since the day I found out I was pregnant. It goes up and down but never goes away completely. I just try to roll with it and blow my nose often. If it gets very bad I use a netti pot and sleep propped up. Ohhhh the joys of hormones !