Babies on the Brain

Weekly chat/randoms 3/5

edited March 2018 in Babies on the Brain
This board was so active back in the summer, want to help me get it there again ladies? What's everyone up to this week?

Weekly GTKY....Are you a self defined nerd/geek(this is not meant in an offensive way just a funny define yourself way)?
Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
DSS: 20
DSD: 17
DS: 4(Nov'14)
MMC:8/17
MMC: 1/18
BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
BabyGaga
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Weekly chat/randoms 3/5

• Happy Tuesday ladies!!!! Pretty chill week here not to much going on. We are having some weird weather today where it will be snowing crazy hard one minute and nothing a sunshine the next. It's in the 40's so it's not like its that big a deal, it's just strange. I had some plans for this week with DS but he's running a fever today so there goes those ideas :/

GTKY: I am an assimilated geek i'd say, it wasn't something I would have said until I started dating my husband. Now I have been assimilated into the nerdNation as I call it. 
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @kindbytealikat I hope your DS feels better soon! It's never fun when kids are sick.

Today's my day off, so it was a day of errands. I had the second opinion for my back, which was interesting. Also, the pharmacy somehow never received the prescription after they said they sent it twice. So I get to call them tomorrow morning to complain and have them send it a third time. I also have my psychiatrist AND therapist appointments tomorrow (psych was supposed to be today, but she had to reschedule).

As for the GTKY, I'm absolutely a proud geek. DH and I are actually both geeks and have various geeky tchotchkes all over our apartment, ranging from little comic book figurines to my collection of autographs. My two favorites aren't on display yet, as I'm hoping to get a couple more added to it at this year's horror con. I love Disney (as we all know), Harry Potter, Firefly, Star Wars, Stephen King, the Marvel movies, sci-fi and fantasy, and am a massive, massive horror geek. I'm fairly techy and can usually fix things as long as I have the instructions (I've replaced the batteries in at least two of my old iPhones, installed a hard drive on my old desktop, and repaired my old laptop). A friend of mine actually got me a pie plate from Etsy, and on the bottom, it says (in the Star Wars font), "Come to the dork side, we have π".

Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • @kindbytealikat sorry DS has a fever, hopefully he feels better soon. We've got pretty crazy weather here, too. I think we're in the same state if I remember right? I didn't see outside much (I work in a basement lol) but apparently it was snowing pretty good one moment but was sunny part of the day, too. 

Not much going on for us this week, just a normal week before our vacation starts next week.

GTKY: yes and no? Depends on the topic, lol. I'm not a huge gamer by any means, but I enjoy games. Not obsessed with "nerdy" movies but I enjoy them. Science and math were my favorite subjects in school so DH jokes I'm a nerd, but he's actually smarter than me, so...he's the nerd, lol. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Struggling through the week solo with a toddler and a cold. It’s getting better, which is good but still exhausting. Luckily LO is perfectly happy to sit and watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse all afternoon. DH gets home in a couple days though, so I’m holding out for that.

I used to be a big Harry Potter nerd, like reading the book all night (my mom insisted on reading our copy during the day so I’d steal it at night) and writing fan fiction. I never got into cosplay, but I’m sure if Harry Potter world existed when I was younger I’d have been all over it.

I love Disney too and have great memories of Disneyland as a kid (lived in Southern California and had season passes before they cost an arm and a leg). This last sickly weekend I started introducing the movies to LO. We watched Hercules and Pocahontas and at bedtime she was standing on a book, arms raised singing out for all the world to hear.  It was adorable. I was waiting for the birds to come and land on her arms chirping.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @dreamscapes_ I am impressed and exhausted just reading your list of errands to handle. I get major anxiety about doctor appointments; kudos to you!

GTKY: I wouldn't necessarily call myself a nerd so much as pretty boring. I am a Harry Potter fan; I've read all the books and watched the movies at least ten times. My oldest niece is eight and we just started watching the movies at Christmas time. We have watched through number seven so far and it's been so fun to see her reactions. 
  • @kindbytealikat Thanks for starting! I hope YS's fever broke!
    @dreamscapes_ Your day off sounds super busy! Hope it went well!! Am I right that you're seeing therapists partially due to a car accident? That was you right? How is that going?
    @CecilB93 Jealous of your vacation. Are you going anywhere?
    @meggyme being alone with a toddler can definitely be exhausting. Glad you are managing!

AFM.. nothing much here. DS was home Monday with a fever but he's coming around again now. We have our friends in from away for a week and we're hanging out with them Friday without the kids so I'm excited about that. We have officially started preventing pregnancy. But I think we will be booking our trip down south for May which will help take the sting out of preventing. 

GTKY: I am definitely not a nerd. I have no time for comic book stuff, Harry Potter, Technology or anything of the sorts. 
  • @kindbytealikat I hope your DS is feeling better soon!!
    @dreamscapes_ That sucks about the prescription mixup... if only everyone would just do their jobs!
    @CecilB93 Yay for vacation soon!!! I’m counting down to spring break.
    @meggyme I love HP! Definitely reread the series last summer...
    @TJtheGoat Yes get them into Harry Potter while they’re young!!
    @kristah2 Planning a trip sounds like a perfect distraction :)

GTKY: Definitely a nerd, I was a math major in college and teach Calculus now so... grew up in a family of nerds, all some type of science major. I’m not big in video games but I like Mario type games once in a while!
  • @kristah2 yes! Going to Arizona to visit my mom! My birthday is March 19th, so that's essentially why we're going to visit her, she's taking us to a Royals spring training game on the 17th! I'm super excited for the 70-80 degree weather compared to the 40 degrees we've been having here. Hopefully DS is feeling better. Where South are you going in May?

DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 that sounds amazing!! I would be all about soaking up the warm weather right now. What a great way to spend your birthday!
    I think we're going to head to Dominican and sit by a pool for a week! We're going to leave DS with my mom and take a week to be a couple instead of parents. I think it'll be refreshing (especially with TTC on hold). 

• @kristah2 H and I went to the Dominican for our honeymoon! We loved it!!! Would definitely recommend an all-inclusive if you can spring it, it saved us money in the long run for sure.

Does anyone work for a company that offers "unlimited" paid vacation and sick leave? And have any idea how that works with maternity leave? I'm in the interview process for a job that offers this and am curious if there's a "standard" maternity leave for these companies. If I'm fortunate enough to land the job, I'll obviously find out more about it - hopefully before we start TTC.
  • @dogmomma271 I wish. Since having a kid I feel like I need 3x the sick leave. Just know that FMLA requires 1 year of work with the company at time of the leave to qualify. I doubt there’s a down side to unlimited PTO unless the company culture is actually really judgemental of people that actually use it.
  • @meggyme Yeah I’m keeping the FMLA requirement in mind, if I get the job we might just delay TTC a few months to make it work. Since FMLA gives you 12 weeks (unpaid) guaranteed, I’m wondering whether an unlimited leave policy would allow you to take all of that time paid. I figured there might be other conditions around maternity.
  • @dogmomma271 I got 12 weeks of leave no matter what and then with my FMLA I got paid 6weeks leave at a portion of my salery. The days during my 12 weeks that I used personal and sick leave for, I got paid full salery. 

My week has been rough. All the worst teacher related things ranging from meetings every single day after school until 5 to a cyfd call. So I’m just ready for spring break at this point. Hopefully I can make it through next week first.

gtky: I kind of figure myself one of those jack of all trades, master of absolutely none of them. So my nerdy ventures are probably strategy board games and a love for Algebra (when my niece calls me for help on her hw she thinks she is bugging me when really it’s just a fun brain workout that I really enjoy). But I also love sports and camping and gardening and crafting and Netflixing and reading (oh and drinking)! So I dk if I qualify as nerd or not. Either way I’m cool with the verdict. 

• Just made my appt to get my birth control implant out at the end of the month.  :#
  • @dogmomma271 oh yes! We have done a few all inclusives in Dominican, Jamaica and Cuba! Plus cruises, Europe, Southern States etc. 
    We try to get away once a year or so. Though sometimes it ends up being a smaller trip. 
    This one wasn't as planned as much as it's a "crap, we're not pregnant and need to put it on hold for a while so might as well MAKE a silver lining"
    but we will definitely be doing all inclusive.
    Where did you stay when you went for your honeymoon?

@meggyme exciting!  
  • @kristah2 We stayed at the Excellence resort in Punta Cana: https://www.excellenceresorts.com/resorts/excellence-punta-cana/
    Would highly recommend!
  • @meggyme. Whoohooo! Exciting steps happening