Adoption
Options

March - Adopting and Hopeful for Adoption

What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.)

-Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process?

-Any questions?

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed?

-GTKY (Get to know you) Now that Spring is just around the corner, are there any new activities you want to add to your routine (ex: weekly picnics or evening bike rides)? 

Re: March - Adopting and Hopeful for Adoption

• Options
    What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)? Domestic Infant Adoption

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.) Renewing our home study now. Our SW got struck by the flu, so this has delayed our process a bit.

-Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process? I am now meeting with an Adoption Finance Coach and she is helping me to determine our best route for fundraising and Grant applications. I love that she takes her time to understand your unique circumstances and then tries to find grants to best fit your needs and values.

-Any questions? This will be our 2nd year in waiting. Any tips on how to prepare ahead of being matched for preparation.

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed? Give yourself a break and take time to enjoy your life now before baby comes. I know it sounds cliche, but if you don't already have kids almost your whole life will experience some form of change after they come into your life. 

-GTKY (Get to know you) Now that Spring is just around the corner, are there any new activities you want to add to your routine (ex: weekly picnics or evening bike rides)? I'm looking forward to starting up my weekly walks in the park after work with my friends now that the sun will be out later in the day.
  • Options
    -What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)? Foster Care

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.) We have a placement, his goal is currently reunification

-Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process? We have a "child and family team meeting" coming up. I'm not 100% sure what happens during these meetings, but after the meeting we will also have a mediation in the courts where we meet with a judge and the judge will determine what needs to happen before the child can be placed back with the birth parents.

-Any questions? If anyone here has had a child and family team meeting for a foster child, any information on what happens during the meetings would be great :)

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed? You may think that the training classes covered all the information you need to know, but they didn't. You'll have lots of questions and don't feel weird about asking your caseworker. Sure you might feel like you are bothering them with all of your questions, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

-GTKY (Get to know you) Now that Spring is just around the corner, are there any new activities you want to add to your routine (ex: weekly picnics or evening bike rides)? I live in the Midwest - spring is definitely not just around the corner lol. It was 12 degrees out this morning. Once it does warm up, though, I'm excited to bike to and from work rather than being sardined in with strangers on public transportation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good Evening,
    My husband and I are wrapping up our Homestudy for Foster to Adopt. Please keep everyone updated. I am curious to know how things progress. It’s interesting how there is very little information on what to truly expect after placement.   May I ask, how is your family handling this process (bonding and possible reunification)?
  • Options
    britters314britters314 member
    edited March 2018
    @Juliann_P What age group are you accepting? Our foster son was only 6 months when he was placed with us, so bonding with him was relatively easy, but I know that won't necessarily be the case with an older child, even only a few months older. As of right now, we don't have any sort of timeline for his reunification because we haven't had a court date yet. I've been pretty much only looking ahead as far as that court date and trying not to think things like "over the summer we'll do this with him" and "at Christmas we'll do that with him" and so on. He probably will be with us for a while because they try not to rush reunification in my state, but I know it will be much harder to give him back if I had envisioned him with us for longer.

Edit: My husband, on the other hand, does not do this. He keeps mentioning things like "oh, once he is 3 or 4, let's have him start sports" and whatnot. I definitely can't think that far ahead lol
  • Options
    Vagarcia16Vagarcia16 member
    edited March 2018
    What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?
    Foster Care

-Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.)
    We have placement of a little one who has been with us since birth, she's now 20 months old.  

-Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process?
    At the end of last month the court terminated parental rights, and social services has moved our case to their adoptions department.  We have our first adoption hearing in May.

-Any questions?
    If anyone has completed adoption from foster care, how long did you have to wait between termination of parental rights to adoption finalization?

-Any tips for the steps you’ve passed?
    Get to know everyone on your child's case, and establish positive relationships with them (the social worker, the attorney, extended family members, etc.)  Having them support adoption, and specifically that you are the right adoptive family, can make a world of difference in what can be a very challenging process.

-GTKY (Get to know you) Now that Spring is just around the corner, are there any new activities you want
    to add to your routine (ex: weekly picnics or evening bike rides)? 
    I'd like to restart family walks after dinner, especially since it will be lighter out.  

Me: 36, DH: 36

Married and TTC Since 2/2012

Me: Mild PCOS, DH: Low Sperm Count and Motility

IUI #1 w/Clomid + Trigger - BFP 10/15/15, MC (CP) 10/19/15

IUI #2 w/Clomid + Trigger - BFP 12/14/15  EDD 8/23/16

Foster to Adopt Placement! DD#1 Born 7/2016

DD#2 Born 9/2016

Foster to Adopt Placement! DS Born 7/2018