Infertility
Options

Quick question for you ladies, TW***

and hopefully I can start my own post for this.

If you did a treatment cycle and

*******TW in spoiler

bfp and then loss 

Would you request to do the next cycle exactly the same as before? We did femara, ovidrel, and IUI for our 3rd cycle. No cysts from the femara. The only thing is though we may have only gotten one follicle with the femara. Would you ask that the dosage be increased for the next cycle or maybe add a low dose injectable? I'm trying to decide what to do here since I'm now cd1. My ovaries hyper responded to Clomid when we did that the two cycles prior and I got huge cysts from it so I'm concerned about injectables. I have pcos too so I don't want to get a bunch of follicles going in over drive. I have a very experienced and trustworthy RE. I just want to be able to have some opinions from a few ladies before I go in there this week.

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
IVF
IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
Back on Levothyroxine
FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
1st Beta on 7dpt 93
2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

Re: Quick question for you ladies, TW***

• Options
    Hi @suzycupcake first, so sorry again for your loss.  We had a similar thing happen in January with a CP on our 2nd IUI. We followed the same protocol on our 3rd IUI which wasn't successful, and I do think it's worth a conversation with your doctor. 

After our CP, I did ask the doctor whether the dosage would be increased because I was only producing 1-2 mature follicles, but he declined because the approach had worked for us. I ended up switching REs afterward because I didn't like how unwilling that doctor was to reexamine protocols and try something new. This IUI cycle (my 1st with new RE and 4th overall), we tried a completely new protocol switching from clomid to fermara and introducing follistim to help make more mature follicles which has worked - we now have 4 mature for our IUIs Monday and Tuesday. 
  • Options
    suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited March 2018
    That's great to hear and thank you @FutureMrsMerati for sharing this with me. Good on you for advocating for yourself! And I'm also so sorry again for you too. I do understand the logic of doing the same thing on a basic level, but with fertility in general, the chances of success are only 20% so that doesn't make sense. When it comes to IF, it doesn't make any sense at all to do the same thing.

I definitely don't want 4 personally because it scares the crap out of me (and maybe for uneducated reasons), but I do want to at least get 2. I may have gotten 2 last time. I had to ask for another u/s the day of the trigger (it was a Saturday) because I wasn't going to waste money on IUI on Monday if no follicles were going to mature. There was one mature at the time. Another was right behind it, but there's no way to know for sure if it caught up by Monday. When we did Clomid the first time, we got 3. The second time, I have no idea because everything was a blur. I was going through a difficult family time. 

I really wish they did very close monitoring with IUI in the same manner that they do with IVF. I don't want to rely on IVF to find simple problems that could've been fixed during IUI with more care and monitoring.

That gives me a lot to think about. Thank you again! 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    After our loss we kept my femara dose the same. I successfully ovulated and was having 1-2 follicles each cycle. It technically worked, it was just a chromosome issue (and most CPs are as well). IMO there is no reason to change anything because it was likely bad luck with a chromosome issue and adding in injectables will just put your at a higher risk for HOMs. I know a lot of ladies are comfortable with 3-4+ follicles a cycle, but working in the NICU definitely made me never want to have more than 2 mature follies. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    LadyMillilLadyMillil member
    edited March 2018
    Sorry for your loss. IUI didn't work for me but my RE never changed my protocol because she was happy with how I responded to the meds. Even with the same dose of clomid each cycle I produced between 1-4 follies, so it is completely possible that using the same dose for your next cycle will result in more follies. Like PP I don't think I'd change the protocol unless your RE suggested it because the cycle did work and increasing meds or adding in injectables could result in over responding.
  • Options
    kristimh80kristimh80 member
    edited March 2018
    @suzycupcake You sound exactly like me! I have PCOS ovaries and when I did IUI's they even have me on a combo cycle of femara and follistim and I'd be lucky to get 1 viable egg those cycles. The only time my body responded with 3 - 4 eggs was when I did straight follistim the last cycle. So, I'd maybe ask even if that was an option or if they could try a combo cycle with you. My body didn't respond to femara at all, which it sounds like yours isn't either. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    I agree with PPs but just wanted to add my two cents from another perspective.  If you are planning on moving to IVF at any point,  I would highly recommend trying a combo or straight inject IUI cycle to see how your body responds to stims. I did 3 femara IUIs and then two combo femara/inject IUIs. Those last two cycles were disasters. The first combo cycle I O'd early and the second cycle I overstimmed. These failures gave me and my RE valuable information that we used to inform my IVF cycle (started monitoring earlier and started on an ovulation suppressant earlier as well as only used low-moderate dose stims because I hyperstimulate). To have to learn those lessons during an IVF cycle and potentially flush thousands of dollars down the drain would have been devastating both emotionally and financially. I'd much rather cancel an IUI cycle than an IVF cycle. 
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    For all but one of my IUI cycles I did a combo of fermara and follistim. We ended up getting a BFP on the 3rd cycle that unfortunately ended in a CP. After that, my RE decided to switch it up and I skipped the fermara all together and only did follistim that final cycle (at an increased dosage). She said that my follies weren't responding to the fermara like they did in the earlier cycles, so increasing the injectibles should do the trick. It ended with a BFN and a really painful cyst, BUT I was happy to switch things up. Like a PP said, I don't understand keeping the same strategy time and time again. 
    *tw*
    Me: 33 / DH: 30
    Married: 10/19/13
    NTNP since 2010 / TTC since 2013
    DX: Unexplained
    June 2014 – Aug 2014 (3 cycles): Medicated cycles >> Letrozole + Trigger = BFN
    Sept 2014: IUI #1 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFN 
    Dec 2014: IUI #2 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFN 
    Sept 2016: Consult with RE, DH consult with Urologist
    Nov 2016: D&C to remove polyps >> RE required 6 month break
    May 2017: IUI #3 >> Letrozole + Follistim + Trigger = BFP >> MC/CP
    Aug 2017: IUI #4 >> Follistim + Trigger = BFN
    Oct 2019: IVF Consult

• Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions with me. I spoke to my RE about it and asked what she thought. She agreed that doing the same thing didn't make sense either. This morning, she said she wants to increase the femara dose only and not do injectables. I'm supposed to start taking them now on cd2 so we can start monitoring earlier. She said if we get to right before the trigger and there is only one follicle, then she will add a small dose of injectable to get another one. I think I'm happy with that approach. I have a history of overstim with Clomid so we had to switch to femara after two iuis. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI