Baby Names

Help with baby names! Ex used the name we like...

A few weeks ago, my husband and I found out we are having a little boy. We've come up with a few names that we really like, including the name John (nickname: Jack), after my husband's maternal grandfather. This would be my top choice for a baby name, however about six months ago my college boyfriend and his wife had a baby boy that they named Jack. Does this completely rule out Jack as a baby name for me? My college boyfriend and I dated for about four years, were pretty serious, but broke up in 2010. We have a handful of mutual friends but haven't seen each other for a few years. I just don't want people to think that I am copying his baby name - my husband and I had talked about Jack as a potential baby name a couple of years ago, so it's been on our radar for quite some time. Thoughts?

Answers

• I can understand feeling weird about it but it definitely shouldn’t be a deal breaker especially since it is a family name.  Just think in the days before facebook you might not have even found out he had a baby named Jack.
  • It’s a family name and a VERY classic name, so I wouldn’t worry about anyone thinking you copied him. Honestly, if I heard one of my exes named his baby the same name as my sons, my first thought would be that it had to be a family name or a name his wife really loved. I would not think I was being copied. I think you should go for it. Your mutual friends might be curious about the name selection at first, but I don’t think anyone would think about it for very long especially if they knew it was a family name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Given it’s been 8 years, I would go for it... I wouldn’t name a child the same as an ex husband, but a college boyfriend... yeah... even if serious. 
  • I would FOR SURE use the name John/Jack. I cant imagine anyone making a fuss over it. 
  • bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited February 2018
    Jack is everywhere and it’s a family name I wouldn’t think twice about not using it bc an old ex did especially if you don’t talk 

• It's fine. John nn jack is totally usable, ex or not.
  • I do not see a problem with it, but I do not really care much about duplicate names in the first place. Your son is going to carry his name for his entire life and may not even grow up to know your ex’s son.