October 2018 Moms

March Mental Health Check-In

How far along are you?

How is your mental health these days? 

What is one challenge that that you are currently facing on your mental health/pregnancy journey? 

What is one thing you’re doing for yourself? 

Re: March Mental Health Check-In

• How far along are you? 

8+2

Poor. Combination of anxiety/depression, getting off my meds, and the gloomy weather

What is one challenge that that you are currently facing on your mental health/pregnancy journey? 

I had just started getting treated for my anxiety and depression in December. Lexapro wasn't working very well but it was better than nothing. I was on a waitlist to see a psychiatrist. Because of my history of MCs, I was told to quit cold turkey when I got my BFP. I am anxiously awaiting that call from the psychiatrist because I'm hoping they can prescribe me something that I can take during pregnancy.

I'm treating myself. Fresh haircut. Fresh wax. Taking the time to give myself manis and pedis. Extra long showers and all the time I need to do hair/makeup. I really let myself go over the years because trying for a baby was so exhausting with DS and he's exhausting now that he's here!!! But I feel so much better when I look better.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• How far along are you?
    9w 2d

Better than it was last month. My anxiety is much lower, but I’m feeling stressed. 

What is one challenge that that you are currently facing on your mental health/pregnancy journey? Stress. I’m stressed over all the day to day stuff that’s not getting done like laundry, cleaning, bills type stuff. DH is not really able to pick up the slack and that’s hard too. I can’t wait until the MS goes away so that I can do more. I burn ALL my energy at work.

What is one thing you’re doing for yourself? I think I’m going to take a mental
    health day next week. I have to take a half day Wednesday because we’re getting measurements done for our windows so I’m thinking I’ll take the whole day. 
  • Loading the player...

• I LOVE that this is a thread! 

How far along are you?
    5ish weeks 

Pretty good! My mood has evened out after a very irritable, bitchy few days. Feeling very positive, anxiety is low. 

I got off my meds before we started TTC. I guess they did their job because I don’t really miss them (except how well I slept on Remeron!).
     I am worried that, just like when I was pregnant with DS, that I won’t tolerate the pregnancy hormones well and be catapulted into a deep depression. Same with PPD. I guess at least now I know what to be aware of. 

I moved 2 states away from my anxiety-inducing in-laws. That is the gift that keeps on giving! 
    :D 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @krzyriver I feel for you, getting off meds is no fun at all, especially cold turkey. I hope you feel better soon! 
  • @krzyriver I hope the psychiatrist can help you out! 
  • How far along are you?
    6ish. Dating scan was vague.

Okay. A bit of anxiety kicking up as I’ve cut down from 200 to 150 on my Zoloft, and also having a little trouble getting out of the house since I’ve been so sick which never helps.

The all day morning sickness makes it SO easy to stay home, or even lie in bed all day, which is obviously bad for my depression. The weather was weirdly lovely this week though which helped. I could lie down outside.

Looking into hiring a nanny. I already have childcare help 2x a week but I need someone more often, and our current nanny is a college student who can’t do more hours.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @krzyriver glad you’re properly treating yourself! Look good feel good is so true for me too. I hope you can get in to see someone soon! Ask about Zoloft. It’s reasonably safe for pregnancy and has literally changed my life.

@cdepperschmidt Hooray for mental health days!!! Hope your MS gets better soon!

@concreteayngel Haha glad your in laws are farther away! Glad you’re feeling good!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @krzyriver - i think i might steal your mani/pedi idea!
    @cdepperschmidt - glad you're feeling a little better this month.  Sorry your husband isn't picking up the slack, they really don't get it!
    @concreteayngel - LOL about your inlaws.  I don't know how people who live in the same city as them survive!
    @DunkinDecaf - Hopefully some nice weather is on its way to help get you out.  I feel like this time of year is hard before even adding pregnancy into the mix....

How far along are you? 7weeks 2 days

How is your mental health these days? Less anxiety, more depression

What is one challenge that that you are currently facing on your mental health/pregnancy journey? I've dug myself into a little hole where i am questioning if i can manage this and doubting everything (This is a very planned and wanted pregnancy, BTW).  I also feel like there is no one that i can tell that will actually be happy for me, and it just makes me shutdown even more. 

What is one thing you’re doing for yourself? My husband and i are taking a mini trip!  I've never willingly been away from my son (i travel for work, but that's out of my hands)  And its about time to spend a night with my husband.  Yay!
  • @jengibre_zorro I’ve dealt with a lot of those, “what did I get myself into” thoughts too. It’s hard to feel that way about something you want so bad. I just try to remind myself that my thoughts are temporary. 
  • How far along are you?
    6+6

I’ve been pretty stressed out about telling my parents. I finally did last weekend and it went over like a lead balloon. We didn’t talk again until yesterday and I think they’re feeling more positive about this pregnancy. They adore DD, and I have no doubt they will once this one is here, but I wish their initial reaction was a bit better.

I’m still struggling from PPA/PPD from our first and I’m still on Zoloft. I have a history of depression and have been able to keep it under control on my own, but I think having a baby exacerbated the problem. The meds do seem to help take the edge off.

My dog broke his crate last night and he can not be left to run the house because he will destroy everything. I called off today to get the crate welded, and even though there was a major snow storm last night, the sun is out today and I think we’re going to catch a movie later.
  • How far along are you?

9 weeks 

Ugh not great. My son has the flu and it freaks me out. 

My son getting sick and the risk of me getting it. 

I’m going to scrub my house from
    the top down and try to kill as many germs as I can 
  • @missmaehurt
    That really sucks and must have been really hurtful.  If I may ask, why do you think your parents reacted like that? I can’t imagine not being over the moon about a grandchild! 
  • @concreteayngel DH and I haven’t had the best relationship lately and they know that we’ve been rocky, so they are just worried about what may happen. DH and I are working on us so I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to figure things out. We seem to be going a much more positive direction lately.
  • klpv415klpv415 member
    edited March 2018
    I'm so so glad this is a thread!!

@missmaehurt Have y'all considered getting some counseling? I'm a therapist and counseling is great even for couples who aren't necessarily struggling, and unfortunately a big problem is that many couples wait way too late to try and repair the damage done before they attempt therapy. Just a thought :) Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk or have any questions.

How far along are you? 5+5

How is your mental health these days? Good and bad. I too stopped taking my anxiety meds cold turkey so I'm anxious about that, anxious about this pregnancy (wanting everything to go well and the baby to be healthy), I'm hormonal so emotions are all the place. Some times I'm totally fine, others I'm a wreck. 

What is one challenge that you are currently facing on your mental health/pregnancy journey? I work in a super super stressful and high risk, sometimes dangerous job, and normally I can just let the stress roll off but today it's really getting me. I can't seem to shake the anxiousness of it all. 

What is one thing you’re doing for yourself? My DH is out of town with his friends this weekend so even though I'm on call for work (booo) I plan to veg out with Chinese and movies all weekend. Maybe a mani/pedi sometime too. 
  • Ah I see. Marriage is hard in the best of circumstances. I’m glad things are improving!  Wishing you and your family the best during a difficult time!  <3
  • @lynzev We have done therapy in the past, but he wasn’t fond of the therapist. We were supposed to start with a new one yesterday, but the roads were too bad so we rescheduled for next week. I’m excited to get back to it.
  • @lynzev I have a question for a therapist, if that’s alright?

I saw a MFT for several months when my PPD was at its worst. She talked me into seeing a psychiatrist for meds, which I don’t regret, but as soon as I was on meds (literally 3 days after I started taking them), she changed my weekly appointments to an “as needed” basis. I never called for another appointment, and she never once followed up. I always felt like she was trying to get rid of me, but chalked it up to anxiety. Does that seem unusual to you? 
  • @concreteayngel I certainly can't speak for all therapists, but being an MFT myself and in my experience, it's highly unusual for the therapist to not continue meeting regularly with someone on medication, especially right after they start meds. My trouble was always getting people to come back to me after they'd gotten medication, because many times that's all they were wanting haha. Most clinicians will tell you that medication works best when coupled with counseling. In my current position now, I have some that I don't see as regularly because they're been on medication for a long time and are doing well, but I still meet with them at a minimum of once a month to make sure they're maintaining well and that there haven't been any changes. Sorry that was a novel haha. Ultimately short answer is yes, go to counseling regularly at least for a little while to make sure nothing drastic happens to your mental health. If you LOVED that counselor you could make another appointment, but otherwise I'd find a new one.

• @concreteayngel that would bug the crap
    outta me too. I have a therapist who I see weekly and a psychiatrist who I see every few months. They’re totally different. Also, I would think the patient would decide if they want to cut back on their therapy?
  • @lynzev
    Yeah, that’s kinda what I thought. I don’t really blame her. Before I got on meds, I cried at the drop of a hat, had to bring my infant son with me, and had insurance through the state, so she probably wasn’t getting paid much to deal with me. Lol. *shrug* Not everyone can be a good therapist, I guess.