June 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinion Thursday (3/1)

2»

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday (3/1)

• Oh, oh! Also...everyone in retail here says "following customer" when calling for the next person IN line. I don't know why, but I think that just sounds so dumb. Just say "next" or "next customer" or "next in line," etc. Then, when they get really busy, the cashier will just yell out "following," which sounds even dumber to me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • elsie42elsie42 member
    edited March 2018
    On line is definitely a NY/Long Island thing. I knew people in college who said that and always thought it was super weird. In line definitely sounds better. 

I like the Coke Freestyle machines! But the best fountain Cokes come from McDonalds. No idea why but they always taste the best there. 

I always thought "bubbler" was a New England thing. My husband doesn't say it but he knows a lot of people who do and he grew up in MA. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @elsie42 +1 on McDonald's having the best Cokes. I heard they have a special water filtration system and supposedly that's why they taste so dang good.
  • +1 to McDonald's having the best. After them it's Sonic.
  • So a few years ago The NY Times (I think?) had a quiz about regional dialect things, and I got so confused taking it because I couldn’t remember what words I’d used as a kid vs learned in ny from New Yorkers vs learned in ny from other transplants lol. Like did I call it a sub growing up? Or a hero? Or a sandwich? Who knows! 
  • I went to school in Milwaukee and have several friends from the Green Bay/Appleton area who call it a bubbler...which is weird. They also tell I say my "a's" funny, gym shoes should be called tennis shoes and I'm wrong for calling it pop and not soda because "pop is a noise, soda is a drink". I'm fine if you call it either as long as it's not soda pop. 
  • @icecubeinthedesert I had no idea the "why" about the bubbler thing but it makes perfect sense! A friend of ours works for Kohler :smile:
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not there anymore, but I grew up in Ohio and am team pop.

i don’t really eat fast food (another uo?) but I occasionally drink pop and have actually heard that about the Coke at McDonald’s!
  • I know it is Friday now, but I just realized this might be a really real UO. I'm soooo tired of Chip and Joanna Gains and Fixer Upper. I used to enjoy the show, but then felt like all her designs looked the same. Now THEY ARE EVERYWHERE AND I AM SO SICK OF HEARING ABOUT THEM. OMG, SHUT UP!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just west of Milwaukee and have only referred to a bubbler as a bubbler :D Also, it's definitely soda... But cue the Midwest accent spelled phonetically Sooooda lol. (Very long "o")
  • @LaceyBee522 omg YES. So sick of them and their design style. Everything in stores now is rustic and whitewashed and bleghhhh
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @LaceyBee522 yes and I just heard they are making their own spin off show about behind the scenes on their designs.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes Chip and Joanna Gaines are way overplayed now. I feel like when I watch Fixer Upper all the designs look the same and I don't think it is a style that will last. In 15-20 years I think everyone will be redoing their farmhouse kitchens and packing up all the distressed wood asking themselves what they were thinking. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Since the discussion has been centered around dialect/regional words, try this quiz.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=1 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @mytinc That was fun, in addition to being spot-on.
    #teamyardsale #teamyall

• @kfren, I was torn between yard sale and garage sale.  Interchangeable here.

And they're tennis shoes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @mytinc We use garage sale too, but more often than not, yard sale.
    And yes, tennis shoes. 
  • @mytinc @kfren Where I grew up "yard sale" and "garage sale" were two different things. If you were selling stuff out of your garage/driveway = garage sale. If you set up tables in the yard = yard sale.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am sick of fixer upper the show but I would still be 100% down to have chip/jo build me a house. I think they really do take their clients’ desires into account because the few times they’ve been asked to do something really modern for instance it’s been really cool. I just believe in my heart that jo would really bring my design dreams to life if I showed her enough of my Pinterest lol lol lol. 
  • +1 to being over the Gaines and there rustic farmhouse look. I hate that it’s all stores carry right now. We are trying to decorate our house currently and all I’m finding is farmhouse style which is not me. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I love the Gaines, but don't like the rustic farmhouse style. Give me color!