September 2018 Moms

GTKY: Travel

Inspired by the Babymoon thread! 

Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled?

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? 

Any tips for traveling with LOs?

Bonus points for photos! 

Re: GTKY: Travel

• Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled? Italy. I just love it. The entire vibe plus the food is perfection. 

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? I REALLY want to go to Greece. It looks beautiful and I've always loved Greek history. 

Any tips for traveling with LOs? I selfishly added this question because we're big travelers and want to be able to keep doing this with our LO. I did register for this cool carry on since we already have a trip planned for next spring. 
    https://mountainbuggy.com/us/Buy/bagrider/bagrider 

@yosemite2018 What do you love about Yosemite? I wouldn't have thought it could beat out Cinque Terre. 
  • Loading the player...
  • nackienackie member
    edited February 2018
    Favorite place: there have been a ton that I loved, but I think Italy and South Africa tie for first.  I'd love to go back to both.

Anywhere I could go: I'd love to go to Iceland.  I know so many people who rave about how beautiful it is and I would love to see the northern lights.

Travel tips: if you can bring help, do it!  Get your LO used to sleeping in various places. Try to keep to the schedule as much as possible, things are so much easier when naps happen like they should.
  • @SkilledSailor I’ve been going there every year since I was born so it holds a special place in my heart. My dad and I made a pact to go there every year for the rest of our lives (DD has already gone twice... once in my uterus and once out). I just feel very at peace there. I love the natural beauty, I love the waterfalls, and we go in all different seasons and it is incredible each time. Also it’s close enough where I can make a quick trip there without it costing a fortune. This LO will be going there at 2 months old while I’m on maternity leave (hopefully the pedi is ok with that) so we can get our yearly trip in.
  • Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled? Definitely NYC during the holiday season. 

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? Italy and Greece

Any tips for traveling with LOs? This is my first time expecting, so I'm at a lost on this one. 

Bonus points for photos! 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• @yosemite2018 I've only been 3 times, but I hear you on the beauty and peace of it.  Its all the way across the country from us, but I'd love to take my LOs when they get old enough to appreciate it.
  • Favorite place: Aruba

Travel anywhere: Ireland - I'm dying to go

Tips for traveling with LOs: We haven't done any major trips with DS, but we've done long weekends away at my Grandmother's for Thanksgiving. I always over pack. Granted I do that for myself too, but I brought so many extra diapers, wipes, and changes of clothes and barely needed any of it!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Favorite places: Kauai (take the tubing adventure through irrigation canals) and Colorado

Wish list: Olympic national Park in Washington

Tips
    1. If staying with family/friends remember they likely have a washing machine you can use if needed
    2. DD is a good car sleeper if we drive at night or at nap time
    3. You can always buy more diapers/wipes
  • Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled?  On the Cinque Terre train but Scotland too, other places too.  The blue grotto was neat, Berlin is super interesting, I like Germany, Switzerland has GOOD chocolate...

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? Iceland, Norway/Sweden/etc, or Russia

Any tips for traveling with LOs? For car trips, leave right before lunch and feed them lunch on the road and then stop after the mealtime for a run/play...  If you stop at lunch(or any other meal) then they sit and eat lunch and don't get the energy burning time.

Bonus points for photos! 
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Favorite place: I had the most fun in Jamaica, but that was our honeymoon, the resort was amazing, we had a swim-out suite, and we sprung for spa treatments. But actual favorite PLACE: I love Paris, and the city outside Paris I studied in, Tours, was pretty great. And you can’t beat swimming in the Mediterranean in Cannes and Barcelona. But my favorite European city has to be Amsterdam. In the US I love Napa, and Carmel-by-the-Sea in northern CA. 

Wish list: Morocco, South Africa, Greece, Kenya, and Iceland. As well as plenty more all inclusive resorts on tropical islands! I expect we’ll do a few days in Iceland as soon as kids are old enough to walk/hike and not nap. 

Aside from a couple drive-to destinations (where my daughter got her own room, because we had a suite or rented a house) we haven’t traveled much with her! One trip to Philly, she did fine on the short plane ride (from Boston) when she was 1. 
  • Favorite places: Italy and Greece
    DH is Italian (born and raised) and it's fun to see everything from his perspective rather than as a regular tourist 

Wish list: I spent a year working on a cruise ship so I got little tastes of a lot of places but would love to get to spend more time in Norway. Also would love to go to Thailand and Australia 

Tips
    Pack light and check what you can, its hard enough wrangling a toddler through security without all the extra stuff. 

Buy what you can when you get there.

Bring extra change of clothes not only for LO but you as well! (I've been vomited on twice while flying...and it smells!) 
  • @yosemite2018 I just cringed thinking about how much diapers would cost in Hawaii. I do like your style though.

Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled?  Amsterdam. Hands down the best vacation I have ever been on.

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? I want our next big vacation to be a Mediterranean cruise

Any tips for traveling with LOs?  I can pack my stuff, and DSD's stuff in a carry on bag. I'm not opposed to wearing the same thing more than once and doing laundry if I have to.

Bonus points for photos! 

• Favorite places would have to be Thailand and Rome. I would go back to either place in a heartbeat. My husband can do some of his work remotely (obviously not this project) so I'm dreaming that when the kids are a little bigger we can take them to Thailand for a few months and "live" there for a little while. I have no desire to live in Rome but I would love to go there on a vacation with hubby (my last trip was with my ex who was an ass) and see how much more I would love it there if I went with someone who was fun to do stuff with. I'd want to save up before we went so we could just eat and eat and eat!!! I'm drooling just thinking about if.

Wishlist- everywhere? I've been fortunate to have rather a few travel opportunities and I've loved something about everywhere I've been. Especially food! I love trying all the new foods!  I'd like to see more of Europe. Maybe a cruise to get a little taste (figuratively and literally) of a lot of places. I'd love to do a trip without the kiddos to some place like Bora Bora with just hubby. We didn't have a honeymoon so I'd love to do a romantic tropical vacation. 

As for traveling with the little ones I've found buying or renting as much as possible when you get there to be the best. The convenience of not having to carry it through the airport is invaluable. We have a super sweet foldable stroller that fits under the seat on the airplane and we get buddy his own seat and he has an airline approved carseat so the stroller and carseat go on the plane with us. I too also highly recommend the full change of clothes for you and the little buddies. Try to relax and be flexible! Your routines might get messed up, buddy's diet might not be perfect, ect, but it'll all be ok :)
  • Favorite place: in the US I love Maui. Everywhere you look is a photo op. We used to go every year living on the west coast but haven't been there for a few years. Now that plane ride scares me coming from east coast with a toddler. So long! Out of US I've only been a few places but I adored London! The food, the parks, the history... I could live there no problem.....with a lotto win to have the fabulous London home.

Wish place: every where in Europe basically! Ireland and Lithuania top my list. Lithuania because of family history and I want to see WWII sites to see what my grandmother spoke about. Ireland--- I want to see everything! 

Love the the tips for traveling with LO's!!... we haven't even done a plane ride which is insane because I crossed country so many times when I was little. I'm just nervous to do it with DD. She does not sit still well.
  • Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled?
    Stateside, it's definitely Colorado (I love the mountains).  Abroad, it's a toss up between Prague and Rome, with an honorable mention to Athens.  

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?  It used to be Scotland and Ireland, but now I really want to go back to explore Rome (and the rest of Italy) with my DH.  The last time I went abroad was for my school required study abroad term, and I really wanted to share some of those experiences with him.  Somewhere new to explore together would probably be New Zealand, or if we just wanted to relax, Bora Bora.

Not really.  We haven't done any long trips with our kids besides beach trips and Disneyworld (both are driving distance for us).  I agree to with what everyone else said about packing as light as possible.  Also try to plan stops where the kids can get out to stretch and/or eat - we frequent Chick-fil-a and Mcdonalds on long car trips for this reason.

Bonus points for photos! 
  • Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled? Jamaica for our honeymoon, and NYC. Favorite place we have taken DD is Disney World <3

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? Italy for sure, but I have about 15 bucket list places that also include Turks and Caicos, Ireland, Iceland and a bunch of places in the U.S.

Any tips for traveling with LOs? So many good tips already...pack all.the.snacks.! And get them used to traveling while they are young  :)
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled? Jamaica so far! Been to a few places in the Caribbean and in terms of weather, price, quality of food and booze, hotel and staff it was our favorite. 

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? Bora Bora, Fiji or Australia. Somewhere far and exotic.  

Any tips for traveling with LOs? nope. FTM here. A college of mine has taken her 2 year old on a few cruises and to Europe. I will have to hit her up for tips, see how she manages to swing that. 
    Me: 34 DH:33
    TTC since Oct 2016
    DX: Undetermined possible PCOS+MFI 
    July 2017-Dec 2017 Letrozole+TI
    Dec 2017 CP
    Jan 2018 BFP:EDD 9-25

Hawaii, always perfect weather, same currency, plenty to do, super relaxed vibe everywhere! 
    I’ve been to Oahu and The Big Island, I loved the big island it had a little bit of everything and we were able to walk up to where the volcano was active and stick our walmkng sticks into the live lava. Amazing! 

My bucket list is to make it to all the Hawaiian islands, my cousin currently lives on Maui, so it seems feasible once DD is bigger. 

We road tripped once w dd, 26hr drive. She was a breastfeeding infant and looking back I have no idea how we did it. 
    All travel pretty much stopped once she became an eating, mobile, being, keeping her healthy and away from germs is just to difficult to make travelling fun. We did buy a camper and we do small camping trips in the summers which we love. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• @jhjocelyn Do you think you’ll be able to travel with DD more when she’s older? Preschoolers are so bad about understanding germs but school age kids are better about it (usually). 
  • @SkilledSailor
    I hope so! DH is super protective, I’m more of a risk taker, finding middle ground gets tricky. This past year we have done plenty, and Dd has been her healthiest yet, so I’m hopeful to keep up that trend. The results on this lo will determine a lot though, we may be starting over at square one.  :#

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Iceland was our favorite trip. Turks and Caicos for a beach location. 

I really want to go on an African safari but that will be many years out I’m sure. 

No tips myself since I’m a FTM and only have experience flying with my dogs. Haha. Will definitely soak up any recs. We will be a 4.5-6 hour plane ride away from all friends and family and I want to start early with LO... as soon as our doctor clears us. 
  • Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled? I prefer road trips to flying for travel, so my favorite places to travel always include the trip itself. The Grand Canyon (from Portland, OR) was probably my favorite trip.

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? The UK or Italy, I'd love to spend a couple months just traveling around (this one is about 20 years out, if at all). And pretty much anywhere where the water is warm and clear and the sand is white, lol.

Any tips for traveling with LOs? We've done a lot of road trips with our now three year old. The biggest thing about road trips with kids is to stop often (we stop every two-three hours) for about a half hour each time to stretch and burn off energy. Always plan on the trip taking longer than it should. Pack more snacks/drinks and activities than you think you'll need and, if possible, have someone sit in the backseat with your little one (if they would otherwise be alone, and are old enough to interact/be social)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Oh man. Too many. My husband and I work in media and have travelled a ton. I think top two would be Provence - I’ve been four times and would go again at the drop of a hat - and Mongolia. We took an overnight train from Beijing to Ulanbataar and then spent the next three weeks bouncing around the country in a 70s era vintage Russian “Jeep”. It was indescribable and so amazing.

I’ve never been to South America and would love to go explore the wine country in Chile and Argentina - with a long stop in Buenos Aires!

Start early. Beatrix has gone on every trip with us starting at four months - including a month long stint in Europe when she was two. I try to stick with a schedule/familiar foods but don’t go overboard and I think that’s helped her become really adaptable while traveling - like she knows everything is going to be different and doesn’t expect things to be like they are at home. It’s an adventure! Also, lots of movies and iBooks on the iPad for the plane. Oh, one last thing, if you’re flying somewhere Air New Zealand goes and are doing an overnight, go for their skycouch! It’s abdolutely awesome for flying with kids. B and I could fully lie down next to each other with blankets and pillows and slept the whole overnight flight. 

• Where was your favorite place you have ever traveled? Hands down - Italy. When I went it was like a tour of the entire country which was awesome, but I'd love to go back and really just spend quality time in some of my favorite cities and really immerse myself fully.

If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? Top of my list these days would be Greece, Ibiza, Paris, Australia, or Bora Bora (this one for sure I would want to just go with DH, so that might not happen for awhile). 

Any tips for traveling with LOs? We're expecting twins, and they'll be our first so no tips to offer! I've always loved to travel, and since getting with DH I think I've hit him with the traveling bug. We pretty much go somewhere once or twice a year together with either family, friends, or just us -  and that's not including trips either of us might just take alone with our friends. I definitely hope we continue to travel, so I welcome all the tips of traveling with LOs! I hope we can get some tropical and even possibly a European vacation in while they're under two to enjoy the benefit of LOs flying for free. Once they're older I'm sure logistically it'll be easier, it'll just be a matter of good budgeting on our parts to keep up with our love of travel!
  • Any tips for traveling with LOs? We're expecting twins, and they'll be our first so no tips to offer! I've always loved to travel, and since getting with DH I think I've hit him with the traveling bug. We pretty much go somewhere once or twice a year together with either family, friends, or just us -  and that's not including trips either of us might just take alone with our friends. I definitely hope we continue to travel, so I welcome all the tips of traveling with LOs! I hope we can get some tropical and even possibly a European vacation in while they're under two to enjoy the benefit of LOs flying for free. Once they're older I'm sure logistically it'll be easier, it'll just be a matter of good budgeting on our parts to keep up with our love of travel!
    We have a family friend with twins and she's a travel writer... twins have not slowed them down at all (although I know the grandparents help out a lot)... Here's her blog on their first flight with twins that has some good tips... https://homebodyinmotion.com/first-flight-with-twins/
  • Awesome thanks for the link yosemite2018!

About 8 years ago I went to England for 10 days to visit a friend (we met working as counselors at a summer camp). We visited her university, spent a couple of days in London, and spent the rest of the time staying with her family, and it was just so cool. She's one of 7 sisters, and we all spent hours sitting around the table having tea and chocolates every day. We also went to a castle, the Burghley 3 Day Event, and more pubs than I can count! 

I'd love to go to the Maldives if I could just apparate there. I also really want to go to Italy and eat alllll the things.

I've been on more than 10 flights with DS in his 18 months (mostly by myself), so I feel like a pro at traveling with an infant/toddler. I always keep him awake before the flight if possible, and plan for an in-flight nap. I put an overnight diaper on him before boarding. I try to board last because waiting around for the plane to leave the gate has always been when he's fussiest. I download some cartoons from Netflix to my phone. Hit up the Dollar Store for cheap new toys to give to him on the plane. When he was an infant, I sometimes didn't bring a stroller at all, it was easier to just use the carrier and a backpack for our stuff.
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018