July 2018 Moms

First time mom; Weight gain?!

Hello ladies,
I'm 20 weeks 3 days pregnant, and have already gained 17 -18 lbs. This seems like a lot to me. Anyone had weight gain like this around 20 weeks? My belly is looking pretty big already, and I can't believe I'm only halfway there. I have an appointment with my midwife on Fri, and am slightly worried they'll be like "WHOA YOU'RE HUGE!" (reference: I am 5'7" and weighed 135 at the start of the pregnancy.) 

Re: First time mom; Weight gain?!

• Yeah I think depending on your weight, 20-30 lbs is the recommended weight gain for the whole pregnancy. There are a ton of free charts and calculators online that work great.

My last pregnancy I stayed within 2 to 5 lbs of my goal weight gain, but I went over my due date by 2 weeks. In those last three to four weeks I put on like 20 lbs and was almost 50 lbs over my pre pregnancy weight. I am not sure it's like that for everyone, but those last few weeks I swole up like a balloon, so be very careful of that...

The good news is that I lost most of the weight pretty quickly afterwards!
  • many of us have talked about this--both on the under-gaining and over-gaining sides--in the questions and symptoms threads. Check those threads out to get more answers to your question about yourself. :)

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Loading the player...
  • we also have a great first time moms check in thread
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Welcome! I see you’re new here. When you get a minute, please take the time to introduce yourself in our intro thread, we like to get to know eachother around here :) 
    Like others have said, lots of other women are talking about this on our questions, symptoms, and FTM thread 
  • I'm about the same height and starting weight as you and I've gained about the same (currently 21 & 5 days) My diet hasn't been perfect but I have been eating healthy for the most part and I exercise about 6 days a week. I was worried about it  until recently but I gained a lot with my DS as well and I figure this is just how my body handles pregnancy. You are not alone in this struggle. 
  • We have definitely talked about this recently in other threads. Probably good for symptoms or questions thread. I am 5’2” and 110 pregnancy. I have gained a but under 19 lbs and i recently asked my doc if that was a lot. She said it is in the high end for 20 wks. With DS i gained almost 50 lbs so if i can keep this weight gain steady i can maybe reach the 40 lbs but maybe i just make big babies. I was able to go back to pre pregnancy weight with a 1-1 1/2 yrs. i also have hypo thyroid so that contributes a bit. 
  • Thanks ladies! I'll look around on those other threads mentioned. 
  • @expectinginaustintx I will tag you in the first time mama one so you can get connected with other FTM's 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing