July 2018 Moms
Options

Let’s talk vehicles...

13»

Re: Let’s talk vehicles...

• Options
    We opted to keep our 2016 Subaru Forester instead of going for the minivan. We just don't want to spend the money on another down payment so soon after buying a brand new car. We recently bought two Diono car seats and a Chicco Keyfit 30 to do 3 across. Hopefully it doesn't suck too much!

I'm kind of jealous of you ladies who can do the one car thing. We're in the suburbs and both work too far from home to bike (and it's a must-drive in the long winters). The things we most like to do are not an easy walk--not too many side walks, long distances, etc. 

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    @acunamatada @kissableviv I think we'll be able to get by with just the one car for while longer. We've been a one car home for about 5 or 6 years now. We had two cars for a long time, but we were both working downtown (Portland is small) so we started driving into the city together and realized after a while we were having to intentionally go start up the other car because we never drove it. We live on the last edge of the burbs before wine country out here so it's a commute but we have decent transit, now that I work from home and DH still works in the city, he takes the bus and I have the car here here during the day. Usually in the winter I drive DH down to the bus in the AM because it's so dark when he leaves at 5:30, but in the summer he rides his bike either to the bus or all the way into town. It didn't make sense to us to have the car sitting in a park & ride all day where no one could make use of it and parking downtown is expensive. Plus with the various doctor appointments, it's worked out for me to have the car during the day. The childcare we're hoping to get LO into in November/December is on the way back from DH's work, so the plan (as of now anyway) would be to drive him into work then drop LO at childcare on the way home and he can take the bus to pick up LO on his way home. If we drive him into work, he doesn't have to leave as early because the bus takes longer than driving. So we're really hoping to be able to just stick with one car as long as possible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FWIW I never thought I would be a Subaru driver, ever, but now I will never ever drive another vehicle. Our Outback has been able to get us everywhere we've ever wanted to go, safely, and comfortably. We don't get much snow where I live, just a couple days a year, and it's always handled like a champ. We do however normally go up to the mountain to xc ski or snowshoe pretty much every weekend during the season and have never ever had any issues handling the snow. Plus the thing is like a freaking TARDIS, I'm always amazed and how much stuff we can pack into that. When our travel system arrived, DH wanted to see how everything fit in the car so he installed the carseat and then put in everything we'd normally have on a roadtrip (the kennel for the dogs, our luggage, both sets of golf clubs) and he somehow managed to fit the stroller in too. I should have taken a picture, I'm not sure how he got it all in there. The only thing he couldn't fit were our front wheels for both our bikes that usually we have inside the car instead of up top because of the kind of bike racks we have. But we'll just get a set of wheel mounts and call it good.

But, this will be our first, and only kid, so I think this is the perfect size for us. Anything bigger and I'd probably hit things when trying to parallel park!

We looked at the specs for the Ascent, but it looks like we'd lose some of the room in the back and the kennel wouldn't fit anymore, at least without putting down the last row of seats, so I think we're sticking with the Outback and if/when we need a second car, get another one.
  • Options
    @noideawhatshesdoing makes perfect sense! I wish we had public transport here. Then it would be perfectly fine. 
    The Ascent looks beautiful but I agree on the space and honestly the outback has been rated a winner against lots of vehicles. We're not crazy on the design but it's still on the table.

My secret hope is that DH would trade in his Acura (still very new, it's 2016) and get something less "lux" (he paid $$$ for a stupid tech package he now hates). Then we would have even more $$ for the SUV down payment and lower monthly payments overall. Alas, it's a long shot...
  • Options
    @kissableviv We're pretty lucky with our transit here, it isn't the best, but at least it's an option.

I hear you on the design! Not a sexy car for sure. lol. When we bought our 2010 it was a huge design improvement over the previous granola version and the old design was really what kept me from even being willing to consider it in the first place. The safety of it, room for the dogs and ability for us to go anywhere in it is what pushed me over.  It's probably too small for a lot of families, but we're the type that easily does 2 weeks abroad with one carry-on each and don't need to do laundry, so maybe we're weird? They've made some design changes since we bought ours and I don't like it as much but DH likes it better.
  • Options
    @4deep we have the highlander too and I have to say that the 3rd row is pretty terrible. As in, a normal sized adult cannot comfortably fit back there. I don't think I'll get another one when our lease is up. I will probably put my 5 year old in the way back when the baby comes.
  • Options
    devilcat139 : I just picked up my new XC90 at the end of November and completely agree. I LOVE this thing. Not only is it really roomy, it has the third row option and the safety of that thing is amazing!! 
  • Options
    devilcat139 that's awesome. I had always planned on getting a Ford Explorer, we're kind of a Ford family and my husband says I think you might like the Volvo. In the tiny town I grew up in there were no Volvos's so I brushed it off and was like no, I don't want to go look at them. He finally convinced me to his own detriment, because then I was like this is the one...lol. I'm glad to hear you've had such positive experiences with them, this is our first.
  • Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my Ford Explorer.  So versatile, spacious, decent gas mileage, no issues. We bought it knowing we were "done" after 2 kids... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA surprise!  So the third row will come in handy.  At least my son will be 8 and doesn't need a huge car seat so it'll be easier for him to get in and out of the back seat.
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We bought a Ford explorer last year, and I absolutely, absolutely love it! Soooo much room!
  • Options
    I'm sorry to resurrect this thread. Wondering if anyone has a Subaru Crosstrek. I want to replace my small compact car, but still looking to have really good gas mileage since my commute is far. So I am thinking a compact SUV might be the best option, and would love AWD since I live in the northeast. I am just not sure if this car is big enough for two carseats and a double stroller. We have a Subaru Forester that would work for travel, so this car wouldn't need to fit much more in the trunk than the stroller - maybe some groceries too.I am nervous to only have one car that can fit both kids if needed since we live in the suburbs, so even though we have the Forester, I am seriously considering replacing my car. I also think this is my opportunity to trade in my car before the value goes down dramatically (coming up on 100K miles soon). But I am still torn because right now we only have one car payment, and with the cost of childcare for 2 kids looming, I am scared to add a second car payment. Part of me also wonders if we should wait and see if we have a 3rd kid, but that wouldn't be for a few years and maybe by then we'd be ready to trade in the Forester. Decisions decisions! 

Also, I read that the 2018 model for the Crosstrek has a bigger back seat and bigger trunk than previous models, so I'd probably be buying new - but if anyone has an older model and has had success fitting two kids and a big ass stroller comfortably, please share :smile:
  • Options
    @zande2016 I test drove a 2018 Crosstrek and it's neat. I'm pretty sure it would fit what you need pretty comfortably but from what I remember it's not that much bigger than a sedan trunk. It does have the advantage of being a SUV so it's easier to get things in it. Price is pretty good, I think under or right at 30k (in California).

If it was me, I would test your Elantra first, do you have a second car seat already? I think if you can make it work I would stick to it, because it's a paid off car, unless it has issues. Again, just my two cents but I feel like adding a second payment especially on a new car can be stressful - that's what I'm gonna have to do and I with my DH could trade in his car for something cheaper so we would not have two pretty high payments.
  • Options
    @zande2016 I, too, have an Elantra. I have had 2 car seats and a booster in the back seat. Although the 3 together were pretty tight, it all fit well. When taking the booster seat out, there was more comfortable room in the back seat for the car seats. I've only had a single graco travel stroller in my trunk, along with a plethora of reusable bags, so I don't know how a double would fit along with other items. My mom has a Santa fe sport and it fits 2 car seats and a booster very comfortably. She has also packed a graco double stroller, another car seat (the big one) and groceries all really well in the trunk. She also gets really good gas mileage. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @kissableviv I am so torn between keeping it at one car payment, or trading it in now when I know the trade in value is going to keep going down. Right now we have the rear facing convertible behind the passenger seat, which leaves enough room for me in the passenger seat (it's a little tight for my 6 foot husband). I did try the infant seat behind mine, and it was tight for me but doable, not really doable if my husband were driving. The middle seat is too puffy (for lack of a better word) and doesn't really work for either seat. We can do it, and I think my dog would maybe still fit between the two car seats (have not tried that out yet), but it's tight. I haven't tried the stroller yet since we don't have it yet, but our Uppababy Cruz takes up the whole trunk. 

@zombiehoohaa wow I'm impressed you were able to fit 3, maybe we have different model years, since I know the size has changed from year to year. I also found that I was never able to get a good install on my infant seat in that car, no matter what I tried. Even the police department car seat guy who checked our install couldn't get a very good install when he tried it. It was better without the base, but then it was a PITA to have to move the seat in and out without the base. I don't know why, something about how the seats are just made it really hard. The other thing is I have a bad back and bending over to get my son in and out of his car seat is really hard for me. A higher up car would solve that. So basically I think we could get by with the Elantra but it's not ideal. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 I have a 2013. The trick, I learned from my brother, was to use a rolled up towel to help the base be even. Having all 3 were not easy to put in and my 6 year old nephew complained for not having enough room to really move. I've only done this twice. Its a total pain to bend over to put those seats in and out of the elantra. We're looking at suvs as well. We have 2 dogs and now the baby on the way. It makes more sense having a suv for this reason. We've been looking at the Tucson and the Kona (new smaller SUV from hyundai). We really love hyundais warrenty and the gas mileage on them. Ive also been looking at the mazda cx3 and cx5. The cx3 is very loud inside so it puts me off. Havent looked at the suburus...

• Options
    zande2016zande2016 member
    edited March 2018
    @zombiehoohaa I also have a 2013! I tried the towel trick, it seemed to help but I still was not happy with it. I guess  maybe that particular car seat just does not work well with the car. I also have a pretty wide convertible seat, if I got a more narrow one it might seem more possible to fit 3 in there. I will check out the Kona, that sounds like it could work. Size wise I would love a larger SUV (even a 3 row would be amazing) but 1. my driveway is super narrow 2. I really need excellent gas mileage with an 80 mile round trip commute, and 3. I don't know if a big SUV is in my budget right now. Practical me says to just stick with the Elantra, but then I think about how much easier a bigger car would make my life. Sigh. 

Edited to add, the infant seat front to back takes up more room than the convertible. I think I could get by with 2 convertibles in there, but the infant seat makes me have to push my seat up further than is really comfortable. I think in general this is true of infant seats. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 having to move the front passenger seat was a pain to get the infant seat in there. The Kona looks REALLY nice and its affordable (high end I think is around $24k). It's a small suv however I'm pretty sure it will hold 2 car seats better than the elantra.