June 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions (2/18)

124»

Re: Weekly Questions (2/18)

• I have a question about doulas. I'm planning a scheduled c-section, so wouldn't need someone to coach me through labor/delivery. But, I would like someone to act as an advocate for me during the process. Is that the role of a doula? Or are they really only for active labor?

A little background: MH is awesome in so many ways, but he is a very passive person. He grew up in NYC, so you'd think otherwise, but he's very chill. I know he wouldn't purposely let anything bad happen to me, but I'm worried that his passive nature and general indecision/ignorance re: medical stuff might be detrimental to me during the child birth process. I want someone there that knows medical stuff, can advocate for me to doctors and isn't intimidated to tell them what I want (in the instance where I can't do it myself).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will step into to answer this properly for you, but I know you're a FTM with twins, which I imagine is a little nerve-wracking, so I'd advocate for all the support you can get!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • edited February 2018
    @LaceyBee522 A doula's #1 role is to act as support in whatever capacity is needed, from explaining medical stuff, to relieving your SO to take a shower or eat, to staying with you in the event that baby has urgent needs and must be transported elsewhere so that your SO can go with baby. If a doula does not advocate for you, they are not doing their job.
    ETA: In other words, a doula could be helpful to you no matter how you deliver.  
  • Is anyone considering getting or has already gotten a new bag specifically for a hospital bag? I think we will use the diaper bag to pack some things for baby (and to have extra room for all of the stuff we are going to take from the hospital) but I want something fun for me. I have some backpacks and tote bags and I have seen some people use carry on size suitcases. Any recommendations? Anything fun that you are really excited about?
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Thanks @kfren! That's what I was hoping. I think I'll start asking around.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @krashke My favorite weekender ever- https://www.krochetkids.org/shop/the-pike/

It was the perfect size for my hospital bag last time with extra room for things both baby and I accumulated while there. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @krashke I used a carry-on for both kids and plan on using the same one for DS2. It was big enough for my stuff, DH's stuff, and baby's stuff (including their baby books, which I made sure to get footprints in, and all the diapers, wipes, and lady stuff I brought home from the hospital.)
  • @krashke we used a carry on. we were able to fit all our stuff in there. the hospital gave us bags when were packing up the hospital stuff before we left.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @llamamama14 Hahahaha!  I just laughed so friggin' hard!!
    Pregnancy Ticker