July 2017 Moms
Options

6 mo in

Now that we are 6 months in, how does it compare to what you expected? Whether it us your first or you are adjusting to your family with another child. 

Re: 6 mo in

• Options
    I did not have issues with PPD this time. That was such a relief. Aiden has not been too jealous, that was also a relief. However, I have a much harder time trying to keep up with housework. It also feels so challenging to leave the house with 2 kids myself. Even with my husband, sit down restaurants are so difficult. I love seeing the kids interact and adjusted to a family of 4 much more easily than becoming a family of 3. 

• Options
    I agree that keeping up with the housework is much more difficult! 

I think going from 3 to 4 was actually easier than I thought. I think it was very helpful having my oldest being 5 years older. He is a huge help! I love seeing them interact and how much they love each other. I definitely did not expect to see their bond so early on! 

Adjusting to the lack of sleep was much easier this time around as well
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FTM here, but I think I underestimated how much I would miss the little things like sleeping in and going out for drinks with coworkers. I love my little girl with all my heart but sometimes I feel like I’m missing out. 

BUT on the other end of the spectrum, I didn’t realize how protective I’d be of her. Everything from sending her to daycare to dealing with her first cold this past weekend has me constantly worrying about her health and happiness. 
  • Options
    lanie1000 said:
    FTM here, but I think I underestimated how much I would miss the little things like sleeping in and going out for drinks with coworkers. I love my little girl with all my heart but sometimes I feel like I’m missing out. 

BUT on the other end of the spectrum, I didn’t realize how protective I’d be of her. Everything from sending her to daycare to dealing with her first cold this past weekend has me constantly worrying about her health and happiness. 
    @lanie1000 You are not alone in either of these feelings. LO goes to bed at 7, so we can't even go out to dinner unless it's super early or we want to mess with his schedule.  But I'd much rather stay at home with him most nights anyway.  

We were teased with a very good sleeping baby as a newborn/infant, but the past month or so has been rough, so we're trying to adjust and hoping it resolves itself.  If not, sleep training here we come, and I'm not excited about that!
  • Options
    FTM, I'm a little backwards but I feel like this is easier than expected. Not saying it's easy by any means but I expected it to be beyond difficult and I'm adjusting extremely well (at least I think so). I'm lucky to have had an easy breast feeding relationship and a happy baby. He's not a good sleeper but he's the happiest baby during the day. I also work full time so I have a balance between adult time and baby time, and I really appreciate the weekends and afternoons when I'm home with LO. In terms of social life, before LO had a set sleeping schedule, we maintained our social life by taking him with us and having him sleep on the go. Now that we adhere to a schedule, we just invite people over or insist on day plans instead of night plans. 

I think it boils down to the fact that I have a really easy going personality, experience which children and where I had set my expectations . 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    STM and everything has been so much easier this time. I’m obsessed with my baby girl! The first couple months were really hard with DS’s adjustment, but then it really got so much better. I LOVE seeing their relationship develop. And being a family of 4 feels so normal and “right.”
    We are working on solids now, and had to slow that down. Baby girl can’t handle food the way her brother did, but that’s ok. 
    I thought I wasn’t a newborn person, but I think it was just being a FTM was so hard on me. I’ve loved every stage with this baby, and would love to have another one in a couple years.
  • Options
    @CPR79 @lanie1000 I have also had a much harder time trying to maintain a social life. 

@jkbrownstein I appreciated hearing the value of having work in balancing your adult time. That is important and I forget that. 

@virginiaunicorn11 FTM made newborn so much harder for me too. I was able to enjoy this time around more. 
  • Options
    lanie1000 said:

I totally feel you. There are some days where I really miss going out with friends or even just going out with DH and just walking around. Unfortunately, DH is on a super strict, medically supervised diet, so going out  to eat isn’t really an option currently lol. Sleeping in is a blessing when I can get it. Occasionally LO will sleep until about 8 (that’s my sleeping in haha).

I am am very protective over my LO. It’s very hard for me to leave him to work or go to events like bridal showers and what not. I think what makes it really hard is that he doesn’t eat when I’m gone...and this has been an ongoing issue since I started picking up days to work. Most likely because I don’t have a steady schedule.

I think DH is way more protective over LO though. He doesn’t like taking him to very crowded places. And he’s very particular about what solids I feed him...sometimes it feels overbearing.