Breastfeeding

Help! Froze bad milk

kiki1803kiki1803 member
edited February 2018 in Breastfeeding
I had a couple of bottles in the fridge of pumped milk, they were maybe 5-6 days old and I thought they smelled odd so I was going to ask husband if they smelled to him too. I think they ended up getting frozen in my stash! Will those frozen bags smell obviously sour? I found a couple that smelled off to me and most just smell like a freezer smell. Can anyone advice to keep from tossing two weeks worth of milk? (Obvious advice is to dump when I think it smells weird, just thought my nose might have been off as milk does sometimes smell differently!) 

Re: Help! Froze bad milk

• kiki1803 said:
    I had a couple of bottles in the fridge of pumped milk, they were maybe 5-6 days old and I thought they smelled odd so I was going to ask husband if they smelled to him too. I think they ended up getting frozen in my stash! Will those frozen bags smell obviously sour? I found a couple that smelled off to me and most just smell like a freezer smell. Can anyone advice to keep from tossing two weeks worth of milk? (Obvious advice is to dump when I think it smells weird, just thought my nose might have been off as milk does sometimes smell differently!) 
    Do you remember the date you might have put on the bag? It might be worth losing a couple good bags in order to make sure the bad one got tossed. As for an obvious smell, I would think you’d notice once it’s thawed but I don’t know for sure, and you don’t want to spend the next few months sniffing milk until you find it.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Hi, @kiki1803 I wonder what kind of odd smell is it. Is it like soapy odor? Mother's milk is high in lipase that digests fat causing the soapy odor. Spoiled milk smell spoiled. 

Well, I guess you already know about proper storage of breast milk.