1st Trimester

Any vegetarian mommas out there?

This is my 3rd pregnancy, but my first pregnancy as a vegetarian.  I was wondering are there any additional vitamins or supplements I should be taking?  I've been trying to eat healthy, but I'm definitely noticing some food aversions and wanting to eat more snacky foods rather than healthy foods. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  EDD: 10/16/18

Re: Any vegetarian mommas out there?

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited February 2018
    Look into B12. It's important for baby development. Plants generally don't have it. The most common sources are meats and it's also found in animal products, so it's pretty common for vegetarians and vegans to be deficient. 

Here's a link with some info. You'll have to scroll down a little to the pregnant women section. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-HealthProfessional/#h6
  • I second that, (nutritional yeast is great for B12 as well, and tastes great as a cheese substitute) There are vegan pregnancy multi’s as well, also take Udos oil, you can get ones derived from seaweed :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you, very helpful!  My doctor recommended an additional folic acid supplement, so I've been taking that, but nothing about vitamin b12 which is making me nervous. I'm trying not to call or message them every 5 minutes. 
  • @juliecaboosebaby If you take a vegan prenatal then it *should* have b12 and the folic acid in it already. Mine has 800x the daily amount for b12. You’ll just need to be sure it also includes DHA. DHA is usually sourced from fish but the vegan ones are algae based. Mine doesn’t have DHA in it so I have a separate pill for that.